Events not showing on browser version 1.7.2

Started by Kenjun, May 06, 2012, 03:12:05 AM MT

Kenjun

Testing the game on the following:

Browser : Internet Explorer (somehow I experience difficulty connecting to the Multiplayer server using Chrome

I notice that even if I select "Show Both (dice and events)", only the dice roll are shown but events are not shown. All I saw was a flash of light on my units, and I have to click the Game Log to see what was cast on it. It doesn't help that this game encourages a 2-minute timer and we still need to click and read the small text in the game log.

Edit : I replayed the Tutorial's duel to check on this, and realized that even in single-player mode the events are not showing, so this should be moved to "feature requests" instead.

diesbudt

I opened up a game (1v1) against a computer with Show both.

I had both events and dice shown to me each time. I was not able to replicate the bug you are describing (hoping I could and then give the game log to Ross)

Also, you can set the time to infinity. But 2 minutes is the longest w/o infinity. And after you play a few times, you will see 2 minutes is more than enough if you are worried about time. 30s is the time I normally play on now.

I will keep trying to replicate this issue.

Ross Przybylski

Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Kenjun

Thanks for helping out.

Can you let me know what you mean by "... events... shown to me" ?
My dice are showing fine, so I'm only curious about how events are shown.

On time, yes I'm aware we can set to infinity, but that is not 'allowed' in multiplayer pvp against human opponents (as describe in the tutorial), so  I was trying  to familiarize myself by playing blitz too. I also read another article/post where Ross seemed to suggest that the short time limit per turn is by design, and intentional rather than a technical limitation. Although for certain games I play only asynchronously, I am open to the idea that Hero Mages is trying to encourage a short time-limit per turn (if i read the articles correctly and did not misinterpret Ross). It's like you may play Chess but sometimes you wish to enroll in a Blitz tournament, so you just respect the tournament rules.

Then again, in more recent threads I also read that Hero Mages is about to implement Async play. If the 2-min time limit is really a 'feature' of this game, maybe Ross can try to implement it such that it is Async but at the same time, when you 'synchronize' to the server on your side, your timer starts ticking. If that happens, I believe in my humble exposure to various iPhone async games, this will be the first async multiplayer game where a timer counts down during your async turn. Could be interesting!

diesbudt

Event:

It shows the caster on the left, the card/ability used inbetween, and if at a target, them on the right.

(its a pop-up, in the middle of the screen)

This was on a browser and not a tablet or phone correct?

Kenjun

Ah, I see it now. Yes I'm talking about the browser client. I think I'd been able to see them all this while but certain spells/abilities do not have the 'pop-up' showing for me, hence I was confused what was happening. Sorry for the confusion and my newbish statements.
(I guess it's the way we perceive things, if it's working and intuitive, we don't find anything wrong. If it's missing or broken, we immediately take notice. Furthermore, the abilities/spells flashes by quite fast, nothing wrong with that though, it speeds up the game)

Anyway, I tested around further on both the tutorial and in Multiplayer vs AI and these are the abilities/spells that don't show for me for now (ie. all I see is a flash of light on the target. I do see some animation from the caster)

1. Mana Surge
2. Scribe
3. Sleep
4. Song of Valor (inconsistent, the popup shows half the time. The other half of the time the bard can't wait to start playing her lute)

Will append to this list should I encounter more. Have yet to monitor this on iOS though.

Ross Przybylski

It is important to note that when playing single player on your mobile device, Events and Dice rolls obide by your custom preferences set in the menu (not the game option settings). In multiplayer, your custom preferences are overridden by the game option preferences as the animations for events and dice pause the turn timer.

You can, at any time in single player, turn on and off these settings using the game menu (gear icon). Then, go to settings. Here's a screenshot. Blue means the settings is "On".

And yes, async multiplayer is planned for the next major release (v1.8).
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Kenjun

Thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind next time I test out the iPhone app. Somehow I find myself going back to the browser client, even though I have my iPhone within my reach.