News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Unable to connect on Linux

Started by Solharan, August 24, 2009, 02:47:50 PM MT

Solharan

Hi, I've been trying to connect to the login screen on my Linux PC, but it always fails.

OS - Kubuntu Linux 9.0.4
Processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
Memory - 1 Gb
Browser -  tried on Mozilla Firefox 3.0.13, Opera 9.64.2480, Konqeror 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2)
Flash Player Version - 10.0.32.18-1

When launching the game from https://www.heromages.com/game/, flash loads and I get to the screen with the connect button. Pressing the button achieves nothing, it just sits there and never changes to the login menu (which I can get to with no problems from my Windows PC).

My friend, who is running Fedora 11, Firefox 3.5, Flash 10.0.32.18 has exactly the same problem.

Solharan

Update: we've managed to run the game on Linux using Firefox 3.5 and Flash 10 running in Wine. It's a workaround, but it would be nice to have it natively in a Linux browser eventually.

Ross Przybylski

Solharan,

Thank you so much for the post and sorry for the inconvenience.  I am puzzled by the inability to connect in native Linux browser- Flash, in theory, is supposed to work the same cross-platform, but as we all know, that is rarely the case given the various player distinctions across different browsers.  I will discuss with Smart Fox Server team and see if they have any thoughts as to why the connection isn't going through.  Very good that you found a temp solution in the meantime- this should help our other Linux fans having trouble until we can get this resolved.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

tors10

I've noticed that surrending in a game using the Kubuntu->Wine->Firefox appears to freeze the game.

Ross Przybylski

Smart Fox Server has recently released an update that addresses multi-user connections in Linux.  Once we upgrade our server, this should hopefully resolve the connection problems for our Linux users.

Ross Przybylski

During the v1.4 update, I upgraded our SmartFoxServer to v1.6.8.  Could one of our Linux players please verify if this corrects the connection issue?  Thanks!