News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Boast your Gaming Heritage

Started by Ross Przybylski, July 25, 2009, 08:24:00 PM MT

Prack

I live near fantasy flight games game center in Roseville Minnesota. People play table top games from the minute they open until close. I play a lot of card games but never played miniatures or anything like that. I've wanted to but I am too OCD to paint the pieces etc. I've always stuck to card games like Magic the Gathering and the new LCG games by fantasy flight.

I've played about every mmorpg on PC and hundreds of RPG's on consoles. I play a few RTS games as well as MOBA's.

Cragralanche

Started playing games with D&D went on and played legend of Zelda and that franchise. I'm a huge fan of roleplaying and strategy games with little to no expeirience in FPS games.

Scribe

I like this idea of sharing gaming backgrounds...
My family liked classic board and card games, and an uncommon John Deere Agri Cup, this probably got me started.

As a young teen I loved game books (the series from Ian  Livingstone and Steve Jackson, the only I know that ever got published in France).
On the video game side we owned a Vectrex. The only non-pixel based home video game. It had stunning playability for the time! And it was still a favorite of my nephews not so long ago! Then I got my first computer, an Amstrad 64k loading games in about 15 mm minutes from a tape! Ziggy and Sorcery were favorites.

In high school I discovered book RPGs and fell for them: Call of Chtulhu, and the series based on Moorcock's books. It was a blast!
I also bought an Atari, and enjoyed games such as X-wing, Tie Fighter, North & South... At the time with friends we were dreaming of being able to play in groups, including for FPS. We didn't know it would come so fast. We waited playing for the arcade Double Dragons...

In engineering school I of course joined the gaming club (la guilde des stratèges), which I ended up managing. This was great: we had so many games to try, and always willing players at hand. One of the club favorites was Diplomacy by having one turn per week. Awesome! They usually were six of them going on in parallel. My other favorite board games were Res Publica and Blood Bowl, among many. Then the revolution of card games arrived with Magic: The Gathering. Some of the best moments of that era were with two friends who completely revamped the rules of the Middle Earth card game to make it an epic quest rather than a classic deck-building challenge. 20 hour games were commonplace... The other highlight was the  book RPG about Demons and Angels "In Nomine Satanis" (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Nomine_Satanis/Magna_Veritas), but you English speakers cannot enjoy how hilarious it is since the English translators decided to play it safe and took all the fun from it :(. Oh, and since boasting is allowed, I organized the first ever official Magic tournament in France.
On the video game side I finally got a PC, enjoyed Descent as my first network-based multiplayer game, Doom as the first real FPS, and Lucasfilm adventure games. Day of the Tentacle dates from these days as well, but strangely I only played it way later. It cannot get old anyway! Another that never gets old is Starcraft. Last year I got my nephew (alas Trucetrange) hooked to it! And in turn he of course introduced me Later to Starcraft 2...

Since then I veered to different kinds of card or board games that I would play with my wife (Guillotine, Carcassonne...), plus the occasional PC game. I never liked MMORPGs. I would rather play strategy games (Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Praetorians, Dominions, Company of Heroes, Starcraft). Or games that have a good scenario (I liked Dark Messiah of M&M for instance).

And now Hero Mages of course!
I hope to get the community going, because I feel this game is likely to be a favorite of mine for quite some time. Meet you all soon on the battlefield!

Cragralanche

Hey Scribe if you like RPG games Dungeon and Dragons is an option and I also really recommend the dragonlance seiries as well as Shanara books by Terry brooks if you haven't played or read them. By the way being a big magic player myself just out of curiosity what's your favorite deck you've made mines a more recent one featuring several somberwald sages and karametras acolytes to play Colossus of akros on turn five and make him monstrous on turn six. Abhor its such a good feeling when it works. Cya around.

Cragralanche

Scribe

Hi Cragalanche,
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually don't play Magic any longer (and never was a top notch player anyway). I organized that tournament mostly for the benefit of our local gaming community, so that my fellow Magic fans had new challengers to play with, and to boost prestige of our club.  The winner of the tournament actually joined our engineering school (and gaming club of course) later on  ;)

Cragralanche

Lol kk if you need any other suggestions just ask. Cya around

Cragralanche