News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Traps

Started by Warmage, August 16, 2009, 10:43:03 PM MT

Warmage

Think I posted about this in wrong subforum earlier but I think some sort of traps would be cool.

Joshua

An interesting idea Warmage!

- Perhaps the person who set the trap only can see it, and other players can't. But the player should know that s/he casted it somewhere. (2 cards)
- Max cast space could be up to 3
- A "expose trap" spell for other players to detect the trap (1 or 0 card), and requires line of sight
- Ranged attack can destory the trap (providing you can see it)
- Melee attack can also destory the trap, but will inflect damage on the attacker with X strength rolls
- If you walk on the trap, it will inflect X strength rolls on the target.

Not bad, let's hear someone's else opinion

Kvothe

Also a new character with the ability to dismantle traps, and plant them perhaps?

diesbudt

Yea that would be neat something like a bandit and it costs 1 card to set a trap on a tile that would inflict X STR rolls on target that (Walks across/lands on it) (Even own player, but he should be able to see his own). And can only have 3(?) down at a time or something.

Warmage

I like your idea, I think it adds an interesting strategy and risk factor.

sounds viable and I will be playing many more games and give it some thought.

Slightquills

Actually, if you decide to design a character around traps why not just apply those abilities to the current rogue character and transfer the rogue's abilities onto an archer-like class.

Ross Przybylski

The UI for traps and stealth based abilities will be the biggest challenge.  I'm curious how players think we can best implement this.  Also keep in mind that it would be good (though not necessary) to be able to apply the same concept to the game if this were an actual board game- because, well, some day I may fulfill my original dream and create a tabletop counterpart if enough people are interested.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Well obviously it would be a character ability and he can set 1 on any empty adjacent square to some limit.

On a board game, (If we are talking like star wars minis/DnD minis) where we use squares and not a ruler for distance and los (Like the game is now). When you set a trap you could place a tokens around the character with same picture on oneside but all but 1 is empty on the other. When someone walks over or lands on them flip over to see if its a bomb.

Because if someone sees the char do the mine ability, they would already know its close to them, all the board game does is give a visual instead of just remembering like you would online. But both ways you know its one of the squares, but which one is it...?

maerrick

Quote from: Ross Przybylski on August 19, 2009, 12:38:44 AM MT
The UI for traps and stealth based abilities will be the biggest challenge.  I'm curious how players think we can best implement this.  Also keep in mind that it would be good (though not necessary) to be able to apply the same concept to the game if this were an actual board game- because, well, some day I may fulfill my original dream and create a tabletop counterpart if enough people are interested.
Hmm...a tabletop variation would be very interesting. It's certainly feasible. Of course, in theory, you could have more than 4 skeletons (or X# of creature Y) running around in the game at the same time if you went through the deck of magic cards fast enough. Then the problem would be having enough of that creature available. Anyhow, it's certainly possible, and would be fun to play.

Finjinimo

I really dig the trap concept.

I would argue though, that we should only be able to have one active trap at a time, much like a summons.

If you can only place it to a surrounding square, then your opposition should be able to make an educated guess as to where you have put the trap. It will act as a deterrent, or barricade then, and I am perfectly fine with that.

You would have players walk over traps when either they weren't paying attention, or because they think it worth the risk. And those are the types of decisions I think enrich games like this.

As to the board game -- I think the suggestion of laying down facedown tiles around the trap layer, so the opposition knows the area the trap is in, but not the exact tile it is on, would be fine.

Joshua

If they're going to implement the traps, we will need the ability to be able to choose the path for movement.

so we could have:

1. Single click = calculated path (current behavior)
2. Click and hold = define your path of movement (and have a confirmation dialog at the end)

because if you know where the trap is, you can avoid it by using your own defined path of movement to the same place.

diesbudt

True, really good point. I forgot if you go 4 over 1 down, he might go down on square 1,2,3, or 4.

Finjinimo

Ah yes. Choosing movement path would be neccessary for this to be a true strategic element.

Dirpius

There is another problem however.  Each player can at all times see how many cards their opponents have in their hand.  If it's a character ability where they have to discard a card, everyone will know exactly where it is, and why that person is playing with that character in the first place. 

I did have another, not very well-developed idea however.  You could have a class that places traps, at a cost, but give them various other card based abilities that the opponent can't see, so the opponent still doesn't know what's coming.  Almost like different kinds of trap abilities.  Say, an ability that allows them to discard a card to gain an effect where if they're attacked, the attacker gets rolled against, like a thorns trap.  That way it makes them unpredictable.  Like I said, it's not a very well-developed idea, but that's all my input.