News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Defeat Baker's Wizard Challenge

Started by Ross Przybylski, August 19, 2009, 03:00:06 AM MT

Ross Przybylski

In case you didn't know yet, the player known as "Baker" is a close friend of mine that helped support the game's development by playtesting the very first prototype of Hero Mages (back when it was still a dungeon crawl style board game) and offering a number of helpful suggestions during development thanks to his diverse gaming experience.

Baker is a naturally gifted gamer, and as such has rightfully earned his place on top of the leaderboard.  It's a little embarassing to admit that even though I created Hero Mages, he beats me more often than not.  However, Baker can get a bit boastful as well and, though he may not admit it, he can have a little trouble sometimes handling a loss (usually finding some kind of interesting excuse when he is defeated), but that's probably just because he's so used to winning.  Anyway, I was thinking it would be fun to offer a good natured challenge.  As of yet, Baker's Wizard is still undefeated, so here is the challenge I propose:

Be the first player to defeat Baker's Wizard in a 1vs1 Duel.  So that your victroy is fully recognized by the community, the following requirements must be met:

1) Baker MUST host the match and agree, in writing, prior to the match that it is a "fair" duel and that he will rightfully accept that his Wizard was defeated justly if you beat him (take a screenshot of him saying this so we have clear evidence to detest any bizarre excuse he may come up with afterwards).

2) Take a screenshot of the Wizard dying and/or the game log that says you defeated his Wizard and post it here in this forum.

3) Any players on Baker's same IP address are not allowed to participate in the challenge.

I will reward the player who completes this challenge with a promo code for a free hero pack of your choice (or a credit for 10 map save slots if you already have both Hero packs).

Have fun!  And Baker, please be a good sport- it's truly an honor to be so good that we need challenges as incentive to beat you.  Commentaries on the challenge are always welcome!

Edit: Please post any screenshots of Baker refusing a duel here as well- we want to put the pressure on ;)
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Baker

I abide by this challenge, however I want to put some stipulations in:

1: challenge me publically on the forums, in this post

2: you will play the map of my choice (it will be symmetrical and fair)

3: i'll pick the time...since i may be otherwise indisposed

4: Try not to challenge me if you already own everything that you can win!

Game on!

Ross Przybylski

I second the motion for Baker's conditions.  This way others can spectate the match, maybe learn a thing or two from the master.  Challenge away!

diesbudt

I challenge you Baker.

I removed my earlier response, to make the rules sit right under the original post.

Joshua

I can still challenge you Baker, as I can still win the "10 map saves" pack, and I'll abide in your rules..

Nacrom Sable

::a young boy dressed in poorly made leather armor approaches Baker and hands him a rolled up scroll::

:the young page in a whisper tone speaks::

His Lordship Nacrom Genersari Sable wishes to accept the Wizard's Challenge and challenges you to a duel within the terms stated.

Please send him word when you are ready to feel defeat.

::the young page turns and leaves:::

Warmage

I will toss my name in with the challengers, in case none of them defeat you.

btw great idea for a little give away.

Eirikr

Now that I have been beaten by The infamous Baker I think I am ready to take him on in an official Challenge.
Bring it on!

goontarr

I too would like the opportunity to take on one of the best in this game. Please send me notification of you're acceptence.

Baker

Scratch my previous post. I'll be taking challenges anytime that i'm online, as my availablity coming this week will be very limited. This means it's first come first serve.

Kvothe

I challenge thee! lol

I'll look for you online

tors10

I think I'm exempt from challenging you, but I'm still gonna kill that wizard, lol.

diesbudt

BAKER's WIZARD DEFEATED:

Screenshots:

{Acceptance}

{Set-up}

{First turn(s)}
---I spent my first two turns getting my barb as close as possible while discarding and drawing to get the best cards i could for a teleport assault.

{Just killed the Wizard}

{Battle log kill}

{Rest of fight}

basically in the log, baker stunned my Barb, so I had my rogue move to unstun him. Next I moved Barb close enough to discard a card for his charge. Which did the wizard 2 damage. After wards i cast Teleport to get on the otherside of his wizard which when I attacked did 1 damage. After that I took a risk and used my last mana to use Demonic lash (instead of stunning/imprisioning) which finished the wizard off.

-Diesbudt

Joshua

Haha nice one Diesbudt!! I knew you'll be the one to beat him.

Ross Przybylski

Congratulations, diesbudt!

That is actually a very clever strategy you came up with - I'm impressed.  Baker is an excellent player- and defeating him is quite an accomplishment.  Name your prize.

This concludes the Baker Wizard Challenge, though feel free to challenge Baker and report your stories here for kudos.