All else being equal, the player with the psion wins?

Started by rokendo, August 19, 2009, 05:22:45 PM MT

rokendo

Psions are nasty. 

They have a 3 dice attack with 45% chance of hitting regardless of defense.
They can also reposition any of your opponent's characters another 5 spaces.

If you can't hit something with your mage, get the psion in sight and move the target in sight of your mage.

Samurai short on move, move the target with your psion.

I've played enough duels to know that if my opponent has a psion and I do not, its going to be a tough fight.

any thoughts?

Ross Przybylski

The Psionist is very potent indeed- and it surprises me that more people don't choose her for their teams.  She can be very powerful when used properly, but her abilities come at a high cost (often draining a player's initial card reserve quickly in the early game) and her low Defense makes her extremely vulnerable.  My advice for battling against Psionists is to try and kill them as early as possible.  Rush her with two heroes or summons and finish her off with a quick Destruction spell.

You can also minimize the Psionists effectiveness by trying to consider possible choices for her to use the Mind Control ability during your opponent's turn.  In many cases you can trick a Psionist into exposing herself by presenting a bait for her to lure.  Also, if you fight on a map with tight starting locations, sprint a character immediately to block one of the opening passages.  This will usually choke the Psionist at the starting position, and after a couple turns you can usually hack her down.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Actually, I have yet to lose (a duel) to a team with psi. Even Ross's Psi 1v1 didn't get me.... though he came close to.  Its all about control.

Can you enter into the psi's los and shutdown or attack it while shutting down or attacking the mage? You have to remember also, if you can get your opponent to panic early and dump card after card to save himself (the psi abilities need cards). If you get my hint.

Currently its the wizard that worries me... 15 valor and correct gameplay they always have 7 cards each turn (6 and 5 valor ---> 7 and 5 valor if they play a free mani spell). Which they can do heavy damage or heavy protection. Just to repeat it next turn.

Of course, ross already knows this.

tors10

If you are down to a single Guardian and your opponent is down to the Psionist, the only way to win is to have either the psionist or the Rogue.

Warmage

or barbarian - wasnt easy but I did it :)

I wouldnt be suprised if psion gets tweaked later, shes a little on the powerfull side IMO

diesbudt

You have to remember, the Psionist has its weak points (low Def, and only 2 STR) so its Main attack must discard a card, and unless your hero is dead, using a card each turn for the attack might not be worth it.

Dirpius

They only problem I have with the psi is the fact that, in end game, if it's 1 on 1, the paladin, warrior, bard, absolutely cannot win.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Dirpius on August 24, 2009, 04:49:25 PM MT
They only problem I have with the psi is the fact that, in end game, if it's 1 on 1, the paladin, warrior, bard, absolutely cannot win.

True, a Psionist will beat any single non-ranged Guardian in a 1v1 duel.  This was intentional.  One of the integral strategies of the Psionist is to ensure the endgame ends in exactly this kind of fight.  Her low defense and costly abilities make her taxing on the overal stability of your team.  These weaknesses  allow tougher, more aggressive units a better opportunity to claim victory in the early game, which balances her superior strength in the end game.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

rokendo

>They only problem I have with the psi is the fact that, in end game, if it's 1 on 1, the >paladin, warrior, bard, absolutely cannot win.

One could argue the same thing about the rogue.  Except for the fact, the psion can push people away.  Its a tough fight..Your only hope is a good sprint.

The only other notes I'll add is that the mind blast has a 35% chance of hitting.( I miswrote 45%).

Its basically a zero cost lightning bolt.  If its worth casting a cheap bolt attack instead of healing, use the psi.

Its really her ability to do combos and bring characters in LOS that make her dangerous.  When she is on the field, she forces your opponent to play differently. If they don't, they risk the psi taking advantage.