News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Handicap option

Started by maerrick, August 22, 2009, 08:05:56 AM MT

maerrick

I think it would be helpful to have an optional handicap for players to use when playing against a (significantly?) more/less skilled/experienced opponent.

Handicaps could include:
1) +/- 1-3 health per unit (or, optionally, just for one or both guardians)
2) +/- 1-2 guardians
3) +/- 1-3 maximum magic cards (so, between 4 and 10, depending whether the opponent is more or less skilled/experienced)
4) +/- 1 range of movement
5) +/- 1-3 to the dice that are rolled
6) +/- 1-2 mana regeneration rate

I'm sure there are a few other possibilities that I haven't thought of yet.

Ross Przybylski

This is an interesting idea, but I also feel the game already has a built in equalizer: the dice.  More often than I see new players win their first game against highly skilled veteran players simply due to the fact that fortune favors the bold.

The rating system, which is purely skill-based, is designed to help players match up with others of comparable skill levels so that the match is fair (challenging, but not to easy either).  If you're rating is a 900 and you battle against an 1100 player, you can expect that it will be a difficult fight- but also all the more rewarding if you do win.  Many players thrive on these types of matches because it's also an opportunity to learn new skills from the experienced player.  Adding a handicap option would obscure the validity of this rating system.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

rokendo

I would also be against a handicap option.  The rating system is skill-based but the game has a strong random factor between the dice and cards.

You can be the best player in the world but if your opponent draws the right set of cards and gets lucky, you can be knocked out before your turn begins.

diesbudt

Yea, chance is the equalizer, no matter how good someone is, and how prepared they are, chance is the final factor.

Also why would anyone of higher rating play you for rating if you get such an advantage?\

Bad idea all around

Finjinimo

I think I understand the motivation for a handicap option, but I actually think it would be more a deterrent to play, then an incentive.

As it is, we all go into a match on an even footing. I think that is important for skill and ranking to mean anything. So I am happy with the set up as is.

However, It might be interesting if there was a minor handicap of -1 health on your main mage guy if you out rank your opponent significantly. That kind of slight handicap, which could be enough to influence the battle would be fine with me. Having an extra guardian or what not, would end up frustrating me I think.

Warmage

In ranked the handicap of losing more ranking to lower level person is enough for me personally.