News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Unranked vs ranked

Started by Joshua, August 22, 2009, 08:50:11 PM MT

Joshua

We could  make it so that when an unranked match was played, nothing counts. For example, no one gets win/loss increment.

Even when you play unranked, people do sometimes do what it takes to win because having +1 win to your stats is better than +1 loss.

Furthermore, when players have high ranking - and when they don't want to risk losing their ranking, they would just play unranked matches to get their win count high without having to worry about ranking. Highly ranked players do this because if you lose to a lower ranked player, your ranking will take a big hit (all your day's hard work will be gone).

Having win count up high would be lovely, but if this change is implemented, you will have to play ranked matches to get your win count up.

Maybe this could also apply for hero mages kills, guardian kills etc... none will count in a unranked match, and it will count in a ranked match.

This will tend to encourage high ranked players to play ranked matches...

Ross Przybylski

Thanks for bringing this up, Joshua.  I was actually going to post on this myself after I'd put together the details for how the ranking system works since we've had a number of questions on it.  But since you've got the topic started, I'll explain a couple points briefly:

Currently, your win/loss summary in your mini profile (seen in chatroom) tracks your total wins/losses (both ranked and nonranked).  Disconnects are counted as losses (though they are being tracked separately).  Stats to your Heros are affected by both ranked and non-ranked games (since the idea was that these were just for fun).  However, I can see players settings goals for their individual characters- and then maybe play on one of the totally random fun maps (like Skittles) that might tarnish their hero stats record.

If you guys want, we can make it so unranked games are purely for random/fun and don't affect your stats at all (other than gameplay time and total games played).  Let me know.  More to follow on the ranking system soon.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Finjinimo

I would prefer unranked to either not count, or to be counted seperately in terms of game tallies.

I was surprised to see my win/loss affected after mucking about in a few unranked games.

Joshua

Maybe also give us the ability to reset our win/loss stats (instead of creating another account).

It will also discourage people from leaving the game forever because of bad win/loss stats.

diesbudt

Or instead of the ability to clear, every few months maybe reset the rating and/or W/L record. And than maybe a way to record the W/L from previous resets to see where you were beforehand or w/e.