News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

New Guardian mechanic

Started by diesbudt, August 28, 2009, 06:30:35 AM MT

diesbudt

Currently, the game seems to be who can kill the other hero first (i.e. Who can must ther strength and luck to all out attack a hero and kill them before your hero is attacked)

What I was wondering is what if we gave the Heros a HP/Def boost that they lose as they lose guardians (i.e. FM has 17 Def, and 8 HP: As a guardian dies he drops to 16 def and 7 hp, and than 15 def 6 hp once both are dead)

This way, it would put more stratedgy on which units to stike, and take some pressure off the heros. You can still go all out after them, but this way they have a more fighting chance until their defense (aka) guardians are dead. (Because honestly, If i am killing Heros on my 2nd/3rd/4th turn how good a job are the guardians doing?)

Just something interesting I thought up and share.

Ross Przybylski

Not a bad idea, but the consequence I'm concerned about is that doing such would make games drag out exceedingly longer (especially if the two guardians you take have Defense 17).  The issue would be somewhat less drastic if healing were not an option.

Still, if you are able to defeat enemy heroes in the 2nd/3rd turn (4th turn doesn't surprise me too much) and it isn't just an awesome lucky card/combo +  good diceroll (aka teleport and attack) then it just means your opponents should try to implement a more cautious strategy (i.e., never expose the mage to enemy attack unless you plan to use a Shield/Imprison/Sprint or other protective measure).

If teleport combos are causing excessive early mage deaths- one solution I have for that is to remove one from the deck in exchange for another Baricade or other Manipulation spell.

Thoughts from others?
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Finjinimo

I am starting to think that the teleport combos are occuring too often. Losing your mage that early to one of those, even before you've had your turn, is depressing.

I think barricade is a nifty little strategic gem which doesn't seem to be used enough. I'd be happy to see another one of those in the deck.

diesbudt

Id be happy to remove a teleport for a baracade... but not an imprisionment until that bug is fixed lol.

But its not only teleport, but its the psionist pulling in heros, and reposition bringing heros to them in place of w/e.

But yea i agree on the teleports.

rokendo

I'm thinking switching teleport/reposition out of the deck is probably a good idea.

reposition is a game changer if you know what you are doing.  That might be a good thing to give the underdog a chance but it can be random.

There's an argument for one strategy to cycle through the deck to pull reposition.

diesbudt

There is nothing wrong with those cards. Reposition is useful, though i have discarded it more than used it since most of the time the drawbacks (since both chars must be in los of hero AND if its far away can make it so w/e char you switch might not be saveable, if its yours)

Teleport isnt a hero killer. Sure he gets first strike, but unless he is a fighter mage, with demonic lash. He probably wont kill him the turn he teleports leaving him open for a kill.

The cards are fine, I was just more thinking about how easy it can be to kill a hero before he has a chance to do much while his "guardians" stand back and watch.

Slightquills

I have another option.

What about Valor-based Guardian abilities (maybe summoned ally abilities too, maybe) that can only be accessed when your mage is defeated? Oh, and the dead mage's party should still gain valor.

This method keeps the game interesting even after your spell-thrower is gone.

. . . or, an option that wouldn't require much programming. Keep giving the loosing player valor. If they get to 15 allow them to sacrifice all 15 valor for an unused mage.
(If this still drags matches on bring the new mage in at 2 hp.)

. . . even less programming (maybe) is a cease-fire for X number of rounds determined before the game (can't kill mage, but can reduce them to 2 hp).

Any thoughts?

Slightquills

I'm surprised no one has any additional comments on this.

Ross Przybylski

One of our old game ideas (when the Guardians were intended to have expandable abilities) was to give the Paladin an ultimate power called Martyr where she could sacrifice herself to revive a defeated Mage.  Slightquills has some interesting points about the possibility of continuing the benefits of Valor after Mage is defeated- perhaps these could even evolve into new gametypes.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

zBilly

i think another way you could go about this is giving a raise in defense if the unit does not block one attack, maybe depending on hp?

For example, if a FM teleported to my mage and attacked me for 2 damage, my mage would get 2 extra defense for this turn.  Makes comboing attacks together harder. 

If I had a FM, 15 ac, and my opponent hits me for two it brings me up to 17 ac, making say, a demonic lash that much harder to hit me and potentially finish me off.

I'm sure the mechanics could be worked out better.

It would also make a one turn kill nearly impossible, without damage plus spells or abilities. 

diesbudt

Quote from: zBilly on September 16, 2009, 06:42:34 PM MT
i think another way you could go about this is giving a raise in defense if the unit does not block one attack, maybe depending on hp?

For example, if a FM teleported to my mage and attacked me for 2 damage, my mage would get 2 extra defense for this turn.  Makes comboing attacks together harder. 

If I had a FM, 15 ac, and my opponent hits me for two it brings me up to 17 ac, making say, a demonic lash that much harder to hit me and potentially finish me off.

I'm sure the mechanics could be worked out better.

It would also make a one turn kill nearly impossible, without damage plus spells or abilities. 

This isn't a bad idea, though A FM would be at 20 def losing 5 HP which he has plentiful heals would take forever to kill.

But the idea isn't bad, would just need tweeking and some changing to work fair.

maltross

maybe you throw some cards in there to offset the massive buff up of the hero, similar to the cripple.