News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Magic Deck -- Clarification

Started by Finjinimo, August 31, 2009, 07:49:35 AM MT

Finjinimo

We have a deck of 50 spells yes?

Is this a personal deck, or is it a shared deck between all players in the game?

By that, do I mean there are 50 spells in the game, regardless of how many players are in there, or is it 50 per player.

If it is the former, does that mean that if I hold on to all the summons cards, the opposition summoner is denied access to those?

Ross Przybylski

Fin-

The deck of 50 spells is shared by all players (regardless of the number of participants).  You can monitor the distribution of these cards in game by examining the deck indicator at the bottom of the player profiles.  This will show number of cards in deck and number in play.  If you add these numbers with the cards currently in players' hands and the cards in the form of mana, you should get a total of 50 exactly.

There are 40 unique spells (8 from each school) and two duplicate spells in each school (for a total of 10 in each of the five schools).  The Magical Spells page notes which spells have duplicates: https://www.heromages.com/gameInfo/magicalSpells.html

So, to answer your other question- yes- you can prevent players from casting certain spells by holding them in your hand.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Yea fin, that is why in a team game even if my hero is eliminated, by my partners isnt. I can  hold cards that i think my opponent needs (such as all teh healing cards) so he can never touch them.

Finjinimo

Yeah cool. I thought that's how it worked.

Can we get that explained specifically in the rules page? I had assumed that we had recieved 50 cards each, however upon watching those little numbers down the left side I realised that didn't add up. It only took me 50 or so games to get my head straight about what was happening with the magic... *cough*

It is an interesting strategic aspect of the game, and I think it could be explained better in the rules. I think its always good to have these types of things set down in the rules so there is no room for argument. I grew up in a family that had 5 kids... and if it wasn't written specifically in the rules it was open to debate. And by debate, I mean fisty-cuffs. Hahaha.