News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Sam too powerful

Started by Dirpius, September 12, 2009, 06:15:51 PM MT

Dirpius

Just to let everyone know:  I will not play another game of heromages unless the samurai gets nerfed.  He is way too powerful.  Someone find me if the update is made, I'll come back.

diesbudt

He is powerful yes, but why is he too powerful?   He only has 5 life (unlike other guardians under 17 def). His eviscerate costs 2 cards (unlike 1 on all other abilities).

-The Barbarian can't only hit harder than the samurai, but can also keep attacking as long as he kills. He can also close in distances from a running hero, unlike a sami. (I have seen barbs kill 4-5 things in a single turn. A Sami can never do that)

-The Warrior Has High defense, and can attack twice. A single unmodified Dragons fury and all the sudden you have a 20 def 10 dice attacking warrior.

-The Rogue is the only character (Besides the hero) that can do massive damage at range (and no the psionist really cant, his blast not only costs a card, but isnt buffed by cripple, auguemnts or bard) . And than do an extra attack for 1 card at 1 hp.

Right there is 4 other "as" Powerful attackers.

The difference of these "power houses" is how you defend against them. Once you realize the Sami isn't more powerful than most guardians. (He is more powerful than the Paladin, bard, and psionist. But those are "Support" Characters) [Soul reaver is middle of the road, defenseful yet offenseful with a decent support abilitty].

Just because you havn't learned how to defend against a certain class yet, or have access to it doesn't make it overpowerful. Many other characters are just as, if not more so powerful than the sami, you just have to know how to play with them to bring out there potential.

Ross Przybylski

Hi Dirpius- perhaps you could elloborate on why you feel the samurai is too powerful and what you feel would correct the issue?
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

zBilly

I am agreeing with Dirpius.  I know my word doesn't carry a lot of stock, being new and all, but if I have a guardian or hero at 4 hp, the sam will kill it unsupported.  This kind of power is huge.  It is much harder to hit someone 4 times with a barb, it's just how it works.

To sum up, if you can take 1-2 hp from ANY character without using the Samurai and move in with the Samurai on that turn, you can kill your opponents mage/guardian.  That just seems a little too unfair.

diesbudt

The eviscerate ability costs 2 cards, that is quite expensive, that is why it isn't too strong. And the samurai attacks. Think of it also as a weakness. Unless buffed, he will only ever be able to do 3.

Meanwhile a Barbarian can (and has) done 4+ unbuffed and killed something so he moves on to attack again (as he attacks again for each kill he does)

And the warrior gets 2 attacks a turn, so for every buff he gets, he technically gets it x2 (Dragons fuy gives him 10 dice, vs the 8 dice a barb would roll and the 6 dice a sami would roll)

The thing is, the way I have played has caught on amongst alot of people I have played and use the samurai. But in actually You could put a warrior or barbarian in that slot and it wouldnt change much (and be cheaper, so you would have more spellpower)

And ross, I dont think he actually has anything specific wrong with it, he just hates being killed by it.

diesbudt

Though on a second thought, I think the problem people have is the sami gets 3 dice to hit with such power (Which against a 15 Def, is about 65% chance to hit)

So, Maybe a HUGE change to the sami

Lower his STR to 2.  BUT in return

His passive ability now Grants him able to do +2 damage and beyond the STR cap, (so now he could even hit for 4) AND raise his HP 1, but drop his Def 1 to balance that out a bit. [1 roll = 3, 2 = 4, 3=5, 4=6: With him never being limited to the hit cap.]

Of course the big problem with this change is that Buffed, he can now wreck anything and everything (Bloodlust = possible 6 damage done, when before it was 5 max)
Basically

(2 STR: 15 DEF: 6/6 HP)
Passive: the Sami does +2 Damage, and can go past the STR cap
(Eviscerate)
(move)
(attack)

zBilly

diesbudt

Well i talked to my Cousin (Dirpius) Ross, and He says that he doesnt like how offensive the samurai is, but also his decent high defense.

He also hates how eviscerate automatically does the last hp.

He, along with myself, feel he would be balanced to be 15 def, with 6 hp. to change a bit on his survivability.