Los Button and Other Changes to the GUI

Started by Slightquills, October 14, 2009, 10:47:40 PM MT

Slightquills

How many times have any of you turned on los, and without thinking ended your turn absent mindedly when you really wanted to just turn it off?

Well, I would propose a change in the position of the los button . . . to somewhere not near the "End turn" button.

The easiest, but not necessarily the most possible option would be a hot key that would be activate while holding it or push to toggle it.

The second thing that has gotten me into trouble is not moving one of my characters.

Something brightly colored and easy to see (like a green shade to the characters in the battle-window) to draw attention to characters that haven't been moved/attacked yet.

The last problem I have faced is the "one step". I just realised I had stepped one too far, but it's too late.

I can't address this problem directly, but a button or key (as above) that would allow a player to click on an opposing unit and see all possible moves that character could make (by highlighting the squares or the outlines thereof).

What does everyone think? Do these ideas seem reasonable?

Ross Przybylski

Hi Slightquills-

It's funny that you mention this.  In the early prototype, we actually had Hotkeys for the LOS as well as other unit functions and indicators for whether or not units had moved/attacked.  Some of these functionalities were removed when the interface was redesigned and we never put them back- partly because of the clutter they created, but more so because after we added all the extra abilities it seemed strange to track movement/attack patterns and not the usage of other abilities.  There's always room for improvement though, and this hue idea might be a good solution.

Being able to track unit movements is pretty good idea too- would save on the counting.

~Ross
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Slightquills

You know Ross, now that I think about it, hue could also help to determine which abilities a character has used.

I haven't had any trouble with this personally, but my brother has had trouble remembering to sprint. He says that should be a separate button. I'm not so sure myself, but I may need to ask others to see if they have the same problem.

diesbudt

I can see the problem happening with the los button (Though i personally have never mistaken it for the end turn button.)  So I agree something different might be nice, for newer/"unfortunate" people who press wrong buttons.

The green shade thing... or a hue, i have only seen it happened a few times people forget a unit. I also think that should be part of the game, its like Risk or something other, you forget you have something you can be "penalized" by your opponent because of it. (Now if we had 7+ units a person, maybe this would be a change). So I don't agree with this change tbh.

The one step too far... each unit can move 5 (+4 for barb), you just have to count the squares. I dont think anything needs to be changed by this as you already know your opponents normal movement. And as for sprint, since it is randomized between 1-7 ***(Look after post Ross) you cant tell where he can go.

And the sprint, that "move" icon is lit up when you can sprint, and isn't when you can't. You would basically have to not look at your character info side screen to not know if you can sprint (You can sprint every other turn, if needed get a playing card: When you sprint turn face down; at end of next turn, turn face up. Your own sprint indicator).

Summary: I like the LoS button change for those accidents some people do, but I think the other things are fine, and is the first time i have heard anyone have problems with it.

*******[Bug Report] It seems your sprint RNG is off. I have seen sprints of 7 lately, about once every other night now. Also I if i remember right, it has always been with a sorceress. I think her passive +1 dice ability is also effecting sprint, idk. But many others have seen the 7 sprint move since I pointed out I seen it.

Ross Przybylski

The Sprint roll is actually 1D6 + 1, so it will range between 2-7.

diesbudt

Well You learn something new everyday.  The tooltip says 1-6. So maybe the "extra" in the tooltip means after the 1 and not after your normal movement?

Ross Przybylski

Ah- in that case the tooltip has a typo!  Thanks for pointing this out.  We will fix for next release.

Alderon

I'll be honest, I don't have a problem with the location of the LoS button, nor do I forget to move a unit, bar the occasional summon if I'm in a tight spot and it's across the map.