News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

10/14/2009 Artificial Intelligence

Started by Ross Przybylski, October 15, 2009, 01:30:27 AM MT

Ross Przybylski

Dear Hero Mages Fans,

I had my first battle against the Hero Mages AI today.  What an amazing experience that was!  Despite the computer’s rather crude and zombie horde like tactics, it was the most bizarre feeling to witness something I created making decisions on its own.  I got this image of Frankenstein in my mind screaming “It’s ALIVE!”

Wait a sec… Did Ross just confirm Artificial Intelligence for Hero Mages?!

I know it may come as a sudden shock to the community- the whole concept is new to me too!  But lately I have been realizing more than ever the importance of single player elements for the long term survival of Hero Mages.  Plain and simple- there needs to be opponents to fight and quests to complete when other players aren’t around!  And for that, we require Artificial Intelligence to command your enemies into battle.

While the completion of a full-fledged AI integration with the game client is still a ways away, today’s little experiment is a definite indicator of awesome things to come!  I foresee a survival game mode that pits players against waves of increasingly difficult monsters, dungeon crawl modes for the RPG fans that allow you to take your party exploring and face horrifying encounters in the depths, training scenarios for our new players, and other player vs. computer challenges to hone your strategy skills and keep the game exciting!

~Ross
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Interesting... But here is the real question. Can the A.I. actually perform any better than the programmer programs it to be?

Alderon

This is really exciting news! An RPG mode would be very cool. Could even do some advancement of characters, say 5 character levels for each, with each level giving +1 to str/def/hp. Which then resets upon leaving that game mode. A dungeon challenge would be great fun too, I can see myself diving into that headfirst. I'm not sure a 'player' AI for games as they are played now would ever really work, due to the strategies and such involved in your average game of Hero Mages. But, if you can get them to not just run blindly at you, who knows? Keep it up Ross.

maltross

or even like a co-op dungeon crawl or something...that would def be awesome. I would pay a montly subscription for character advancement.

Slightquills

Hey Ross, once the AI is further under way would you be willing to incorporate different types of AI's?

It goes without saying that any mage will play differently then any other, but even beyond that having other AI modes (Offensive, Defensive, Balanced, Favors Summoning, ect;)

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Slightquills on December 07, 2009, 11:06:29 PM MT
Hey Ross, once the AI is further under way would you be willing to incorporate different types of AI's?

Absolutely!  I'm actually surprised more games don't allow you to customize AI behavior - as this is a good way to challenge yourself against different play styles and calibrate the game to your own personal liking.  You listed a few options so far, I'd like to hear some more ideas from you and the community to get an idea of how indepth this feature should be.

maltross

sorry for my short departure, school and work overwhelming. I'm back, and trying to log in atm, as usual. I just don't know what the problem with my comp is.

yamo

Good idea...i have not found anyone around but would stick around if i could play(quick, small) battles while waiting for a person.  How about a randomizer for the AI so we don't know what kind of enemy we face?

Glenn

I am chomping at the bit for AI, i can't wait for it (I need a lot of practice)

keep up the good work

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Glenn on February 18, 2010, 01:49:17 AM MT
I am chomping at the bit for AI, i can't wait for it (I need a lot of practice)

keep up the good work

Thanks for the support, Glenn!  It means a lot.  I hope to release some of my AI work after the balance update (details coming soon).