Join an existing game as a spectator

Started by Joshua, July 24, 2009, 05:51:09 AM MT

Joshua

Join an existing game (anytime) as a spectator

Ross Przybylski

Yes, this is something we feel would benefit the game immensely- as new players or friends could just pop-in and observe.  Accomplishing this feat will require encoding the existing game state into a data string that the game host could then transmit to a newly joining player to recreate the battlefield.  As an added bonus, the same code that is used to do this could also be adapted to save existing battles so that they could be played at a later time.

This is something we can certainly handle doing, but that will take some time to develop and implement effectively.  We want the game's direction to move in the best interests of our fans- so additional call-outs for this feature will help us know to move it up the priority list.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Jaels

I logged in the forums specifically to suggest this feature, so count me in among the supporters of a "Join as a spectator mid-game" feature.

This along with the capacity to see the man chat area while you are setting up a game are the two most convenient things I think would help the game develop quickly in terms of non-gameplay issues.

maerrick

1) I'd love to see an option to see who's playing in a particular game (by mousing over it).

2) When spectating, it'd be good to be able to "wave" to a person playing to let them know you're there in case you might want to play a game with them after the current one is finished.

Finjinimo

Yep, being able to join an active battle would be a great feature. It also means if there is a particuarlly good battle going on, that people can get in and watch the final stages of it.

I am all for this feature.

Chex

I also jumped to the forum to request this feature. I think this would be especially useful, as your fan base grows and more people join. While people are waiting for others to login, it'd be nice to be able to just join and watch a match that is going on.

MadMac321

I was going to make this same suggestion "Join as a spectator mid-game".  And I agree for all the reasons stated and one more addition.

In addition to being able to log in a watch a game being played it would be nice to be able to join a game in the middle too.

I have been in a multi-player game 2 vs 2 and one person disconnects.  Now we are playing 2 vs 1.  It would be a nice feature if someone could take over the empty seat.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: MadMac321 on November 06, 2009, 01:33:43 AM MT
It would be a nice feature if someone could take over the empty seat.

A very good callout MadMac.  We agree this would be a great feature and also want to have this for our singleplayer/cooperative game mode where players could jump in a game to take over party members and give control to AI or another player if they disconnect or leave the game.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC