News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

New cards for new combos!

Started by AdolfTickler, November 17, 2009, 04:39:57 AM MT

AdolfTickler

My favorite aspect of this game is the ability for endless combinations. I think all the current spells are pretty amazing! A couple of thoughts for new cards and new aspects of the game follows:

- I've had a couple of new spell ideas.

• I would like to see a trap card. You would see the caster cast it, but you wouldn't be able to see where he placed it, that way it would keep a tension to the game. The effect of the trap is not as important. It could be 1 dmg or it could immobilize. Also, It could be used well if I were being chased down a hallway. Did I just play a trap in front of your hero or behind him?
  • I think the reposition spell gave me the idea for this, but you could have a spell that swaps the def(unbuffed) of two units permanently. You could use this spell with the armor golem for amazing results. I don't know if you would be able to use it on the caster, but I do think that players would draw it enough to make it fun swapping stats. It would also add a new importance to the dispell card.
  • I think I'm stealing this idea from someone else. Have a sacrificial card, almost the antithesis to healing . If a hero is down to 1 hp, you can sacrifice that character to deal dice dmg to all surrounding units or to transfer life to a different character, or to transfer stats.
  • I think that the gateway spell should be reduced to 0 mana. I don't think it gets used enough and with a zero mana cost it could be used a little more interestingly in a 4 player game casting it to remove walls between two other potential enemies.
  • I was thinking about rare spells. Possibly there could be something like 10 rare spells and you would be given one for every 20 or 30 valor or after every death you cause or if you are holding all spells of a certain type(but more likely the valor). It would cue up next in your line of cards so when you drew your next card it would be the rare card(mainly used if you have 7 cards in your hand, otherwise it could be automatically added). I don't think I am the first to imagine this. Warmage was thinking of rare spells too if I remember correctly. Anyway, you could have spells such as: ROULETTE: causes all remaining heros to be randomly repositioned on the board. BLESSING: everyone on the board is healed, could also remove buffs or possibly revive 1 or all gaurdians. Someone was thinking of something like THIRD EYE: view all other players hands for 3 more turns. The idea behind these cards would be to add a new random element that could alter the entire game after it is halfway through. These are all obviously just tentative ideas.

I am glad to be contributing to the ideas behind this game. What I want to see is more combinations that add to infinite AND interesting combos. I want to see that the cards are fluid. What I mean by this is that I want to see that the spells influence each other and that if I am dealt a weaker hand, then I still have many options available to me. I do like the strategy of discarding your cards and playing possum but I don't think it is too much to ask for that I shouldn't have to do that with certain hands.

This is on a personal note, but I also really enjoy seeing combinations due to game psychology and less direct methods. I understand this is my own playing style and that it might not be congruent to the overall intention of the game. But I want to see more combos/spells that I can use if I prepare for it, e.g. knowing that an enemy is going to run away to the closest corner so I can use this to my advantage or I move a hero to the middle of a 4 player game which looks like a bad idea, but to actually have a spell or two up my sleeve. To have more spells that would be utilized in a less direct manner(i.e. opposed to just counting your opponents steps and LoS but charging in none the less) would be really awesome!

I hope these ideas have contributed to something, if nothing else than to give other players ideas of their own as to what they would like from the game.

What would you like? What do you think?

diesbudt

Quote from: AdolfTickler on November 17, 2009, 04:39:57 AM MT
My favorite aspect of this game is the ability for endless combinations. I think all the current spells are pretty amazing! A couple of thoughts for new cards and new aspects of the game follows:

- I've had a couple of new spell ideas.

• I would like to see a trap card. You would see the caster cast it, but you wouldn't be able to see where he placed it, that way it would keep a tension to the game. The effect of the trap is not as important. It could be 1 dmg or it could immobilize. Also, It could be used well if I were being chased down a hallway. Did I just play a trap in front of your hero or behind him?
  • I think the reposition spell gave me the idea for this, but you could have a spell that swaps the def(unbuffed) of two units permanently. You could use this spell with the armor golem for amazing results. I don't know if you would be able to use it on the caster, but I do think that players would draw it enough to make it fun swapping stats. It would also add a new importance to the dispell card.
  • I think I'm stealing this idea from someone else. Have a sacrificial card, almost the antithesis to healing . If a hero is down to 1 hp, you can sacrifice that character to deal dice dmg to all surrounding units or to transfer life to a different character, or to transfer stats.
  • I think that the gateway spell should be reduced to 0 mana. I don't think it gets used enough and with a zero mana cost it could be used a little more interestingly in a 4 player game casting it to remove walls between two other potential enemies.
  • I was thinking about rare spells. Possibly there could be something like 10 rare spells and you would be given one for every 20 or 30 valor or after every death you cause or if you are holding all spells of a certain type(but more likely the valor). It would cue up next in your line of cards so when you drew your next card it would be the rare card(mainly used if you have 7 cards in your hand, otherwise it could be automatically added). I don't think I am the first to imagine this. Warmage was thinking of rare spells too if I remember correctly. Anyway, you could have spells such as: ROULETTE: causes all remaining heros to be randomly repositioned on the board. BLESSING: everyone on the board is healed, could also remove buffs or possibly revive 1 or all gaurdians. Someone was thinking of something like THIRD EYE: view all other players hands for 3 more turns. The idea behind these cards would be to add a new random element that could alter the entire game after it is halfway through. These are all obviously just tentative ideas.

I am glad to be contributing to the ideas behind this game. What I want to see is more combinations that add to infinite AND interesting combos. I want to see that the cards are fluid. What I mean by this is that I want to see that the spells influence each other and that if I am dealt a weaker hand, then I still have many options available to me. I do like the strategy of discarding your cards and playing possum but I don't think it is too much to ask for that I shouldn't have to do that with certain hands.

This is on a personal note, but I also really enjoy seeing combinations due to game psychology and less direct methods. I understand this is my own playing style and that it might not be congruent to the overall intention of the game. But I want to see more combos/spells that I can use if I prepare for it, e.g. knowing that an enemy is going to run away to the closest corner so I can use this to my advantage or I move a hero to the middle of a 4 player game which looks like a bad idea, but to actually have a spell or two up my sleeve. To have more spells that would be utilized in a less direct manner(i.e. opposed to just counting your opponents steps and LoS but charging in none the less) would be really awesome!

I hope these ideas have contributed to something, if nothing else than to give other players ideas of their own as to what they would like from the game.

What would you like? What do you think?

--The first idea is hard to implement in fairness, because we cannot choose which tiles our units walk on, only where they end up. So even if I knew where the trap is, I wouldn't be able to dodge it unless I took 5 turns to move 5 spaces.

--The defensive spell isn't a good idea. Because permanently would mean I could run a wizard at 17 defense at the sacrifice to my warrior/paladin. It would have to be once of those, until the start of your next turn type cards.

--You are right, there was an idea for that, but not as a card but a unit I came up with in my Unit idea thread.

--1 mana is fine, it is a very powerful card if used right (Like you said, opens up walls so an opponent gets 1 turn of being possibly destroyed and you can use it to block.) and shouldnt be free, as it could mean a 1 turn Hero kill, even though he was hiding.

--Your spells are not cued, it is drawn from a shared deck (Which is random what you or your opponent draws next), also spells are not meant to be a 1 turn change the game 180 degrees. Sure there are times a full turn can turn the game on your opponent, but not as badly as a "rare" spell card could be. Spells are not to be over powerful. I would be fully against rare spells, I am not against new spells - but they have to be fair for everyone and not too powerful.

With the possum idea, the thing is each card has a better usefulness at different times in the game. Very first turn what use do I have for revive or a full heal? But come late in the game those spells are very powerful. All cards are powerful, just it depends where the game is on the battlefield. To combo more and/or make those "weaker" cards better, would mean them being so much better at the times they are powerful.

Also with the preparing idea, if you can already read what your opponent is probably going to do, you can set your units up to take advanatage of this and strike when he does it, or at best make him change his plans enough to confuse him. There is a reason I have been ranked #1 for the last few months, and it has nothing to do with having "better" units or playing the most, I anticipate (like in chess) each and everyway my opponent will do and prepare/set up for it to make it an advanatage for me.

“In battle if you are good at anticipating the human mind, you leave nothing to chance.”

(The book    "The Art of War" is an amazing read btw.)

Otherwise I love that you took the time to post ideas Adolf, and I hope it spurs some peoples minds to come up with their own. Remember there is never a bad suggestion or question, just bad ideas. ;)

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: AdolfTickler on November 17, 2009, 04:39:57 AM MT
This is on a personal note, but I also really enjoy seeing combinations due to game psychology and less direct methods.

It's great to hear your suggestions, Mr. Tickler!  The broad concept I'm gathering from your suggestions is the starting foundation for a new spell school entirely: Chaos Magic - which was actually amongst our original spell groups before we narrowed them down to the 5 groups.  Chaos has a lot of similarity with Manipulation magic, being that the aim is to disrupt your opponents, but where it differs is in the lack of control  the weilder has over it.  Manipulators, like the Wizard, alternate their surroundings to gain control, whereas Chaos users are more like the Joker in Batman- they don't care about control, they just want to wreak havoc and cause disorder (even at their own expense).  The Roulette spell is an absolute perfect example of a Chaos spell.  Total unpredictability can be a very powerful psychological weapon- and a very entertaining addition to the game.  Keep up the good ideas!

Also- if you haven't played the Wizard yet, I highly recommend him.  He gets discounts on all the Manipulation spells (including Gateway) as well as the power to siphon cards and set up those crazy psychological traps you favor in your play style.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC