Dice rolls as text when Show Dices is off

Started by Joshua, July 24, 2009, 11:56:38 PM MT

Joshua

The dice rolls (as a text) could be shown somewhere on the screen when show dices is off.

Ross Przybylski

It is always possible to see the dice results within the game log (Hot Key 'L' ), whether Show Dice is enabled in the game options or not.  We could also show dice results in the indicator at the top of the screen- currently, this is reserved for spells/abilities only so that new players can click the hyperlinks to learn what the last power cast does.   Let us know what you think.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Jaels

I'd definitely prefer to also see the dice results at the top of the screen when the dice roll animations are disabled.

Having to open and close the log is annoying.

Another option would be to have access to the log as a window fitting with the rest of the display.  This way you could leave it open without affecting gameplay, which isn't possible right now.

Joshua

It doesn't have to be at the top of the screen (where the spells are etc), instead you could place it below that line or at the bottom of the screen?

Crimson Avenger

I like Jaels idea of a seperate box for the log somewhere on the screen where you can watch the results of the battle and see everything.  But I also see where problems can arise (redoing of the interface, text sizing, overwhelming information for new players).

As for the original question, I also agree there should be a seperate text showing the results of a dice roll somewhere on the screen.  Opening the log to see what people rolled can get annoying when you're in the heat of battle.

Ross Przybylski

What if we made an option in the game menu where you could opt to see dice results as overlay text?  Overlay text is what is currently used for chat messaging during the game- perhaps the dice rolls could float as messages along with chat:

Crimson Avenger's Skeleton attacks Jaels Warrior with roll of [2, 14]

Also- what if we made the log window a draggable, resizable window?  This would offer some level of flexibility in positioning to your personal preference.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC