News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

V 1.3 (surprise I am first to post no?)

Started by diesbudt, April 06, 2010, 04:16:48 AM MT

diesbudt

I'll just go out and say it. I think you did a great job on the balancing of spells. I especially like the extra dispell card... though that card alone is responsible for me losing over 200+ combined points in my history of HM. Now a Hero won't feel as safe running into the middle of the field and think (Oh! a shield!)

Though my wizard will miss my free card draws from imprision, and gateway.

Questions:

A minotaur? Where's mine? and No Diesbudt the ruler hero unit?

Also the minotaur... a possible 9 dice attack on a sprint?  haha oh... kamikaze on a hero... (bulls charge).

The other ability seems interesting.

Otherwise besides reavers DUEL >>>  TAUNT   >:( :( :-X

Overall, nice balance changes.

Ill post more when i take a closer look.

Edit 1:  Since you didn't add that augu. card to lose 1 armor (unless you forgot to mention it), and cripple is the only card that can lower defense, which also has (Defense cannot go lower than 11 as 15 - 4 = 11 )... And you posted def can now go lower than 11... but come to think of it can it really???  (This is assuming you cannot stack sunder Armor)

Edit 2: Also the Party builder, what is it exactly? I can now premake my team for easier picking or what exactly?

Ross Przybylski

Thank you, diesbudt!  It was your feedback and those of the other players that really helped nail down the final set of changes.  Initial playtests at my local game night indicate an overall success of the goals intended.  The game flows a lot more naturally without drastically changing the original strategies too much.

The party builder replaces the original combo box selection with a graphical character selection, allowing players to discover all of the different heroes of Papillion.  It also saves your party between games during the same login session so you can easily make adjustments to your team without having to repick the entire group.

As for the Augmentation spells, Cripple was replaced with Hex (which is the perma -1 Defense spell) and Sunder Armor (which is a Cripple that only effects units with Defense of 15 or more.  So, to answer your question, Defense could go as low as 10 if you cast both Sunder Armor and Hex on a unit with Defense 15.  I've updated the spell library on the website, feel free to check this out for further clarification.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

ok, but what of that minotaur? I still think that sprint passive ability seems a bit over the top...

first that's so powerful.
second, what's to stop someone every other turn to walk him 3-4 spaces away, than sprint back to do 5,6 dice instead of a normal 4 dice attack.

Ross Przybylski

That Bull Charge is tied to Sprint is what makes the Minotaur so much fun.  While it's possible to get a 9S attack on a perfectly lined up charge, the likliness of this happening is offset by the randomness of the Sprint roll.  For instance, if your Minotaur isn't "mad enough" to sprint the full distance, he'll stop short of the mark needed to execute the attack.  So, if you move the minotaur away in attempt to come charging back, you risk not falling short of the needed distance and lose your attack in the process.

Additionally, bull charge requires that your minotaur end his move facing the enemy- simply making base contact with the enemy is not enough.  This allows players to prevent minotaur charge attacks by carefully positioning characters next to walls.

The intended strategy of the Minotaur is to make an early offensive attack and disrupt opponents using his Roar ability long enough for the rest of your team to move in.  This makes him quite terrifying, but, in the same token, a bad roll on either ability leaves him quite vulnerable, promoting some good spirited laughter from the opponent when he halts his charge to sniff the flowers.

diesbudt

I'm just wondering if people will realize you can abuse the sprint ability though. every other turn, instead of attacking, the minotaur could move away 3+ spots, and than sprint back to do an attack more than its actual attack. (its so very very rare to get a 2 sprint... since sprint is really 2+ d5). 

diesbudt

oh yea this leads me to a question.

will it just be augumentation that will be put back in deck after use, or will summon magic be used in the same way?

Also, after some testing, when you draw a card is it a randomizer of what you draw (with a less likely hood of a card the game has already seen) or is it after use, put back at the bottom of the deck, and won't be seen again until you draw through the deck.

Ross Przybylski

Only Augmentation spells have been changed to return to the deck after being cast.  Summon cards will remain in play until the creatures it created are removed from play.  Once cards are removed from play, they are always returned to the bottom of the deck.

As for the Minotaur, we'll have the fun of discovering what interesting strategies and/or abusive tactics players come up with once we start seeing him fielded in battle.  More information on the first Minotaur give-away promotion to follow soon.

diesbudt

Just tested the moving of units out.... WOW. i swear I was always sprinting how fast they were moving.

Gorstak

yea,now its much better,now i can finnaly play normal with  summoner deck,before was too weak,but i experiencd much lags
,my internet speed was 54.

diesbudt

I'm curious as to why you think the deck is now stronger as of before, when all ross did was weaken some cards.  I am just curious as to why you think the summoner got a huge buff via the deck (her ability was the only real change for her, which is nice... but something I don't personally like as 1 card per 1 skele is just too high cost for too low output.)

Gorstak

i meant on summoners new ability,when reach 5 valor can have army off skeletons(not instant),but yea its true she is weakest mage,with soul raver now i actualy menagd to block more and counter is more sascesful,didnt tryd barb,and now thers realy nowan playing,whenewer i came nowan is therebut enyway wizard has two times better abilities.

diesbudt

she is not the weakest, all heros have their advantages and disadvantages.

Also the soul reaver, now paired with a 'weaker' mage  i.e. non fighter mage, can really help with taunt. its actually decent if used right.

only problem I have is sunder armor.  I don't like a card that now limits its useful ness.  I haven't been able to use one yet, because only 4 units have 15+ armor.

diesbudt

also if you think wizard has better abilities your wrong. he just has different.  Maybe they look better to you because that's the playstyle you like more. Also... many people were on last night. for the update, and I know a few people will be on again, but daytime when lots of ppl have work/school they won't be on.