What do you like about Hero Mages?

Started by Ross Przybylski, July 25, 2009, 01:10:47 AM MT

Ross Przybylski

Now that you've played a couple games of Hero Mages- we're curious to know what you enjoyed about it.  Do you admire the character artwork/graphics, the music and sound effects?  Is it the intuitive interface and easy-to-learn gameplay?  Maybe it's that certain bit of satisfaction you get when you pull of that perfect move.  Please share with us- what do you like about Hero Mages?
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

markeski

Once enough people hear about the game and players start to populate the lobby, this game is going to sky rocket off.  The gameplay is addictive and with built in communication in the form of in-game chat, chat-room lobbies and forums it takes the online experience and brings the old school 4 player camaraderie feel back (like the old golden eye... or even gauntlet days).  I like how I can play free for all or teamed, the game maintains a fair balance and offers a good blend of strategy and draw luck, similar to magic the gathering and other such card based games.  The visuals and uniqueness of every character, monster and spell make building teams and dueling in general a lot of fun.  I like how its like playing a board game with your friends but there's no mess to clean up and the pieces really come to life (sorta like if Jumanji went all fantasy/medieval).  And to top it off, its free, I'd pay good $ to play this, and the basic elements are being offered free with options to upgrade.

i give it two thumbs up  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
come play me in the lobby sometime!

Joshua

This game is a must for those who love board games (as I am one). A unique and fun game-play for everyone with any skill levels.

Very easy to pick up too :-)

Warmage

Lots and Lots of things,

I enjoy the simple way in which complex strategy and tactics can be used. Having played strategy games both board and computer I have always been fond of them. The way you can combine your units into warbands of different sorts to try out new strategies and combos will keep it fresh for a long time. Hero mages just came out and already has enough units abilities and spells to form many combos and tactics, everything from freezing opponents in place to summoning units and casting powerful spells.

The valor status is a great game mechanic rewarding you and powering up abilities while in battle instead of just having access to all abilities from start, that adds a depth to the game battles itself which I enjoy.

I love that you have a map editor, which I will purchase shortly. It will give the fans and serious players instant access to creating their own maps and let the company tap into the creative potential of its fans.

The amount of stats kept is a dream, It lets you see the performance of yours and others units for fun, game balance and bragging rights. I think features like that also add to the depth and richness of the game adding to the history of players themselves.

The forums are loaded with usefull tools that will allow the casual and hard core gamers to really get into, and post about everything from strategies to hearing about news from developers.

I was at this years gencon and met the owner who obviously had a passion for games and a clear direction for this one, so kudos and keep up the good work, I look forward to being here for awhile.

See you on the battlefield.

Glenn

One word sums it up for me. Balance. I like that even though there is extra content to buy, the starter hero mages and guardians don't have any disadvantages.

Also i love the strategy side of it. you can think and think about team ideas and never even scratch the surface of all of the possible combinations.

finally i like that even though i haven't bought the two character packs yet (and thats a big yet because i plan to shortly) i still haven't picked a combination i really like yet even though i only have a few to choose from.

I am looking forward to seeing what new features you plan on adding to the game.
Keep up the good work.

AdolfTickler

I really enjoy the homage to chess that this game exudes. I always love playing games that are tactical with an option to play to your own style.

I also really enjoy the combos that can be pulled off with a lucky hand. The thrill I get when I know what is coming for my opponent is akin to a volcano about to explode.

This game is unique and smart. I cannot wait to see what else comes!

Thank you.

andodel

I love how it's similar to chess. Chess is my favorite (basically only) board game. It's so simple, and yet so much fun. The spells are a nice twist, but I don't like the fact that you need luck. When I was battling Diesbudt to win the tournament, I had a clear cut strategy that would have worked, if only my attacks had hit. All 5 attacks missed, so basically I got screwed. If it were like chess, then this wouldn't be a problem. I don't exactly do so great in the luck category.  :(

Ross Przybylski

Chess is also my favorite board game.  During the game's development phase, when the rules and mechanics seemed to complicated, I would ask myself- "How can the rules be more simple?  How can they be more easy to explain like in chess?"  My goal was to create a game that is easy to learn the rules but just complex enough to evolve in numerously diverse ways by adding new cards, units, or maps.

Luck certainly plays a major role in Hero Mages, which makes it very different from chess.  I actually tried of thinking of ways to eliminate the need for dice, but eventually I realized they represented an essential element to strategy: chance.  Even the best general leading the best soldiers with the best weapons cannot guarantee his assets will trump the luck of his enemy, whether it be harsh weather, an overlooked environment, an outbreak of disease, an accidental folly, or an ill-timed strike by one of his troops that spell the end of his campaign.  The dice encompass all of these factors. 

As strategist, you do the best you can to weigh all the options in your favor- the rest is up to fate.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Yes. but skill/strategy helps reduce the need for luck. Such as:

Unit placement. (Not putting your hero in line of sight of an oponents hero unless, your 100 percent ready and plan a full assault on the opponent.)

knowledge of card combos. (Almost any card(s) can be used at any time to save you, you just need to know how and when to use them)

Decision making (choosing who/what you attack and in what order)

Statistics. (This is a big one, the sooner you can mentally see how many dice on average it will take to kill a unit, the better)

Like throwing 9 total dice at a 6 life 15 def unit.  The odds are extremely low that 6 will hit.   However if you use more power and throw 18 dice at it, it is likely to do 5-6 damage. Taking account of very low luck.

Overall the game is close to 50/50. And the better strategy you have, the less luck you need.  There is a reason I win very often, and it normally isn't luck.

the stoat

I agree with previous posts, also, I like the luck element, please keep it so the game mechanics rewards risks.

MagicMissle

As I ws 'strolling' through the forums and I have a simple reply to this question, this game being a few years in the making:

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ABOUT THIS GAME? O.O

ili84

I think the "Play by E-Mail"-style is really neat. That makes games possible for which you usually would not have time and adds flexibility.

What I, like others, like is the well-rounded mix of luck and strategy, both together create excitement.