News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

5/06/2010 Constant Dis connecting

Started by diesbudt, May 06, 2010, 09:02:49 PM MT

diesbudt

At random times, either if I look away from the screen, or go onto another open browser, I keep getting discconnected and will let me back on right away.

There is no pattern to amount of time before I disconnect.  Omni is in the room still without problems, but last dissconnect I noticed Gor and another disappeared too.

Might want to check on some stuff Ross. I have tried everything on my end.

It seems it has subsided for now. WIll keep it updated if it happens again.

Ross Przybylski

The server will drop connections after a short period of no-response from the client end.  To prevent the automatic drop off that would occur from idle activity, I've programmed the game client to send periodic pings to the server to let it know there's still someone there.

When do these disconnects happen?  Are you sitting in the lobby idle, chatting and it goes out, or in a game?  Are you on a wireless internet connection?

This could also be an internet connection issue on the server end (especially if the behavior was sparatic/temporary).
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Yes and yes and yes.

It would happen 10 seconds into logging in.  It would happen as I was talking in lobby. It would happen as I enter a game.  Though inside the game it seemed stable.

And it wasnt just me, the whole lobby for about 10-15 minutes kept logging on/off untill we all decided to jump into a game and stay in there for a while.

Complexity

my issue is essentially a disconnect issue as well. my main concern is that disconnects will count against your record or benefit the other player with a basically free win. In my opinion there should be some sort of 3-5 minute time where if a player disconnects before this given time period the match is void and neither player is rewarded a win. I just literally joined a guys game his turn was first after about one minute of waiting for him to go i got d/ced and he got the win i got the loss. Very frustrating for anyone trying to play competitively.

I also think that unranked games should not add a win/loss to your ratio seeing as how it is 'unranked'. I understand that your actual rank does not change from unranked games but to literally be unranked i dont think anything should be added to your record.

I hope these opinions are not too bias or mis leading i just get really annoyed when i get a loss to my record simply because of a server error or other unknown errors i think that a simple 5 minute time period that must be played before a game is officially counted would help a lot.

thank you for your time,

complexity

Ross Przybylski

You have very valid points here, Complexity, and I hope to address these in the upcoming release which will include a "rejoin game" feature.  Should you become disconnected from a game for any reason, you'll be able to select that game from the lobby, rejoin, and resume playing immediately from where you left off.

As for concerns about the unranked/rank reporting, you can view ranked wins vs. unranked wins on a player's detailed stats card (click the view profile button).  However, you have a good point about changing the default report in the mini-profile to only showing ranked wins.  I've been considering some changes to the stat reporting (such as eliminating the global rating and only showing a player's highest rated game type, in hopes that this would encourage more players to play ranked FFA games).  Going along with your idea, we could either show ranked or unranked wins or losses and clearly identify on the user's profile which score we are reporting.

Complexity

a rejoin feature would definitely solve the disconnect problem i think that's a very great idea. Also as far as the 'unranked' win/loss i understand how it works i just primarily meant the numbers next to your avatar and name in the chat lobby making those numbers strictly ranked win/loss would be better in my opinion.

diesbudt

The only problem I have on the reconnection issue that you want to add Ross, is in a 4/8 person game. One person D/cs during his turn. How long can you give them before he cannot rejoin?

Because as you have said a normal FFA or team game it can be 6 minutes between turns. Add in the d/c time... it adds up.

Not to mention, a lot of people now a days disconnect when they have already loss, without a gg or a "hey I conceed" and than quit. They just X out of the browser/tab.

But the numbers on the the lobby wont help any. because the Rating number will still be there. And that is many people look at when "judging" how hard they may be.

Someone could be 100-150, but because of the opponents they beat and the ones they lost to, they could be ranked 1200. But they have lost more than won, so it really wouldnt solve any problems.

Though... I now think the rating system is bad. I know, I know you use the Chess system. But that system is all placed on skill and not luck. So when a 1300 loses to 1100 in chess, he deserves the point loss.

But what if someone rolls 30 dice at a wizard at 12 defense and he doesnt die, than he wins? So he loses a bunch of points when he was the better player, but a RNG/dice didn't agree.

Just my thoughts lately.

Complexity

Quote from: diesbudt on June 07, 2010, 02:29:03 AM MT

Though... I now think the rating system is bad. I know, I know you use the Chess system. But that system is all placed on skill and not luck. So when a 1300 loses to 1100 in chess, he deserves the point loss.

But what if someone rolls 30 dice at a wizard at 12 defense and he doesnt die, than he wins? So he loses a bunch of points when he was the better player, but a RNG/dice didn't agree.

Well i did not know that a chess system was used but diesbudt has a very valid point here, HM is a skill game but ultimately boils down to the dice. Also like his example states any player could have a  completely perfectly executed round and if the dice roll 1s then it really is out of the players hands.

I feel like maybe more in-game statistics should determine a players point gain or loss more than just simply who wins. Possibly having a 'game report' for each game and taking those statistics coupled with your previous games.

Regardless dies is correct there really need to be tweaks to the rating system to accommodate the 'luck' factor in-game.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: diesbudt on June 07, 2010, 02:29:03 AM MT
The only problem I have on the reconnection issue that you want to add Ross, is in a 4/8 person game. One person D/cs during his turn. How long can you give them before he cannot rejoin?

When the new feature is released and a player disconnects, a count down timer will appear over that player's profile badge in the turn order.  A player will have 90 seconds to rejoin the game before a "Drop" button becomes active.  Once this happens, any player can press this button to eliminate the disconnected player.  The disconnected player may rejoin the game by selecting it in the lobby- the prompt will authenticate you based on your username to determine if you were playing in that game (guests will not be able to rejoin games).  After rejoining, the countdown will cease.  Should that player disconnect again, the countdown will resume wihere it left off (meaning you get a total disconnect time of 90 seconds per game before other players can choose to drop you.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Complexity on June 08, 2010, 04:18:52 AM MT
Well i did not know that a chess system was used but diesbudt has a very valid point here, HM is a skill game but ultimately boils down to the dice
Regardless dies is correct there really need to be tweaks to the rating system to accommodate the 'luck' factor in-game.

The fact that luck plays a role in Hero Mages does not impose a weakness in the Elo rating system (which is used in some form or another in most competetive games).  Elements of chance factor into most games (where you spawn, what weapons you start with, which players happen to be on your team, the latency of your internet connection vs. that of your opponents, the cards you're dealt, etc.) which is why it takes more than a single match to accurately place you on the ladder.

The beauty of the Elo system is that after a several matches of consistently beating opponents at or above your current level, you rise the ranks quickly.  Wins based on luck can certainly happen on occasion, but statistically speaking, they won't make or break your standing, as demonstrated by diesbudt himself.  His rating and leaderboard position quite accurately attest to his skill level.

While bad dice rolls can certainly destroy your otherwise perfect move, they can also do the same for your opponent.  The skilled player realizes this and knows how to leverage the risks of their strategies to maximize their wins.

diesbudt

ok I can see that  D/cing system work real well.

ah that's what its called,  elo system.   I cdon't care either way, I just don't have a justified reason to play a ranked game with someone X lower than me.  When 1 game of over unfortunate luck, means I have to win  10 or more straight ranked games afterwards to catch back up, only to have during game 6  the horrible luck.... and so on.  (its happened in the past, took many many games to finally get past that).

I just don't like the FFA ranking as you know.  Best strategy is to just sit there and wait till everone else is too weak... though I don't consider this a strategy, a lot of people do, especially those that watched last 2 seasons of survivor.

Ross Przybylski

The long awaited documentation and revised rating system details are finally online!  Check out: https://www.heromages.com/gameInfo/howToPlay/ratingSystem.html to learn how the rating system is being improved to meet your requests!

Also, check out: https://www.heromages.com/gameInfo/howToPlay/rejoiningGames.html for full details on how the reconnect feature will work.

Lastly, check out: https://www.heromages.com/news/versionInfo.html for the complete list of new features.

diesbudt

No special unit just for me yet?   awww  maybe next time.