News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Share Your Thoughts on v1.4

Started by Ross Przybylski, July 07, 2010, 04:25:37 AM MT

Ross Przybylski

Thanks to everyone who made it to our launch party!  So, now that we've been rolling for a few days here, what does everyone think of the additions in v1.4?
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Dont like seeing my rating under 1500.    :( :( :(

diesbudt

In all seriousness. I dont know. Nothing gamewise really changed besides now 8 players.

Ross Przybylski

I can understand your frustation about the rating change, but does it make sense why we changed it? 

In the previous method, Overall rating didn't carry the same meaning it does now (a true estimation of your overall playing ability across all game types).  In the old system, the Overall was actually more reflective of your best category (in your case, Duels).  Because of this, players with a high score in one category were highly deterred from playing different game types (FFA being the least popular) as any loss in this category would drag the overall rating down considerably.

In the new system, Overall is now the average of your three scores.  This means, if you take a loss in FFA, it's not going to destroy your Overall rating unless FFA happened to be your best category.  Players are actually encouraged now to excel in all game types to achieve the best possible Overall score.

I can see from the leaderboards that this encouragement is already reflective of your own performance, dies.  Not only are you the top dueler, you are also the current #1 FFA and #1 Team player.  I also see that your duel rating is still well over 1500 points.  Way to go!

diesbudt

Oh no I do like how it is now averaged and that it wont use my overall to record for scores on the games.   But Now I have even less of a reason to play a ranked duel, as it is much higher than my average.

It still doesnt solve the  "First one teamed up on losses 3 games" in FFA.  Even if he did all the work to knock 5-6 units of the other 3 teams combined before dying.

Somehow in FFA i feel there needs to be "effort" based scoring.  That way sitting till the end is only good for some points, not 3 wins worth.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: diesbudt on July 07, 2010, 08:42:44 PM MT
Somehow in FFA i feel there needs to be "effort" based scoring.  That way sitting till the end is only good for some points, not 3 wins worth.

I've started a new topic to discuss the FFA rating system:
https://heromages.com/forums/index.php?topic=272.0