Want to design your own Hero Mages character? Vote for us on indiePub!

Started by Ross Przybylski, July 29, 2010, 06:39:46 PM MT

Ross Przybylski

Want to design your own custom Hero Mages character?!
Vote for Hero Mages on indiePub Games!

Greetings Hero Mages, fans!

First off, thank you all for your love and support of Hero Mages!  Activity in the game has really been picking up and we’re excited to see so many new and returning players populating the lobby.

A number of you have been asking “When are you going to release new characters?” I’m ecstatic to hear these kinds of requests and want nothing more than to deliver new characters to your hearts’ content.  So, what’s the holdup you say?  Plain and simple:  We need funding to cover the costs of developing the new artwork.

Operating a game studio is a pricey venture, between paying for hosting costs, recurring business and legal fees, software licensing fees, and contracting artwork- especially when you’re a paying-out-of-pocket indie developer like me!  Fortunately, though, an amazing opportunity has come our way in the form of a competition.  IndiePub Games is hosting a developer contest that includes a special prize for the community favorite.  So here’s the deal: Show your support for Hero Mages by voting once a day, and if we win, the prize money will go towards developing new character packs!

But wait…there’s more!

In addition to the grandeur of new character potential, we’re going to go the extra mile and turn this opportunity into a fancy contest of our own where you- the Hero Mages community – get to design one of the upcoming characters!   

How it will work:
Players will submit their character ideas on this forum post.  If Hero Mages wins the IndiePub community favorite award, we will select the top character designs and initiate a “Favorite New Character Design” poll where you will have the opportunity to vote on which player-designed character you want to see in the game!

As if that weren’t enough incentive to participate, we are also going to award all participants the exclusive Minotaur character (whether we win or lose the Indiepub Contest) as a special thanks to everyone who voted and showed their support of the game!

How to Participate:

1) Register an account on indiePub Games at https://www.indiepubgames.com
2) Between August 1st and August 31st, vote for Hero Mages as your “community favorite” game at https://www.indiepubgames.com/vote.php (you must be logged in with your Indiepub account to vote).
3) Visit our IndiePub Game page at: https://www.indiepubgames.com/game/Hero_Mages
     a) Rate the game using the stars underneath the “rate it” section
     b) Add your commentary with your in game name, for example:
          “I really enjoy the strategic game play and the awesome player community”
          IGN: PlayerName

4) On this forum, make a post indicating that you have voted and provide your indiePub username.  Optionally, you may include your own unique character design specifications to be considered for addition to Hero Mages.  For example:
          I voted on indiePub with username: IndiePubUserName.  Here's my character idea...
5)
Play Hero Mages during the voting period as much as you can, welcome newcomers, and show everyone how awesome our gaming community is!

How To Vote:
There has been some confusion as to what actually constitutes a vote.  Here is a screen shot of the actual voting page and what you should see to cast your vote in the contest.  Note- the combo boxes are listed in random order- feel free to pick whatever game you like for runner up.

Rewards:

1) At the conclusion of the voting period (August 31st) we will email all participants a redeemable code that will unlock the exclusive Minotaur.

2) If Hero Mages wins the Community Favorite award on indiePub, we will make an announcement, pool together all character design entries, and initiate a vote for the best new character design.  The winning character will be included in one of the upcoming character packs.  D20Studios reserves the right to adjust/modify the winning character as necessary to fit within the balance of the game.

Notes:

Please refrain from posting comments related to the character design contest and questions about the promotional offer on the Indiepub website.  Keep these comments focused on what you enjoy about Hero Mages as the goal is to attract new players to try out the game.  Instead, use this forum for all character design entries and questions about the contest.

Please abide to all contest rules on the Indiepub website: https://www.indiepubgames.com/developercontest.php
In short, play fair!  We need to give all contest entrants an equal opportunity and avoid cheating so that our entry is not disqualified.

Use the following templates for character designs:
     Character Name | Guardian
     STR: # DEF: # LIFE: #/#

Ability 1 Name | Cost/Passive
     Description
     Ability 2 Name | Cost/Passive
     Description

Character Name | Mage
     STR: # DEF: # LIFE: #/#

Ability 1 Name | Cost/Passive | Valor
     Description
     Ability 2 Name | Cost/Passive | Valor
     Description
     Ability 3 Name | Cost/Passive | Valor
     Description
     Ability 4 Name | Cost/Passive | Valor
     Description

Have fun everyone!

Contest Concluded
The IndiePub Contest has concluded and while Hero Mages did not win the award, we were greatful for the chance to participate and the support we received from all the Hero Mages fans!

The Community Favorite winner and contest finalists have been posted here:
https://www.indiepubgames.com/news/3rd-contest-community-favorite-and-finalists
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Ross Przybylski

Please refrain from posting comments related to the character design contest and questions about the promotional offer on the Indiepub website.  Keep these comments focused on what you enjoy about Hero Mages as the goal is to attract new players to try out the game. 

Use this forum for all character design entries and questions about the contest.

diesbudt

Ross do I have to post on here? I mean I have that thread of 50+ units somewhere round here with that same setup that were good ideas...

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: diesbudt on July 29, 2010, 09:18:20 PM MT
Ross do I have to post on here? I mean I have that thread of 50+ units somewhere round here with that same setup that were good ideas...

You don't have to right away, but when we're ready to pool the possible choices you should pick your best/favorite choice (I'm guessing the Shaman, lol) and post it here.  Shouldn't be too hard to find it; just use the forum search tool :P

When we win (fingers crossed) I'll set up the top choices into a poll so players can vote on which character they want added to the game.

Alderon

I posted n' rated. I'll vote when it starts, won't be hard to see me there, since I told all potential newcomers the deal with me and the blue colour.  ;)

As for Hero submissions, I have a few, but since I have to pick just one, this is probably my favourite choice;
(PS: dies, if anything here seems similar to yours, it's not intentional, I never got around to reading all your ideas on new characters, there's too many!)

Ranger | Guardian
STR: 1  DEF: 15  LIFE: 6

Crossbow and Bolt | Passive
Ranger can attack any visible unit.
Hail of Bolts | Passive
If Ranger's attack hits, you may attack again.

I know this is very similar to the Rogue class but I was thinking that with all the melee everywhere you look, throwing another ranged guardian into the mix (I'm not including the Psionist, since she's a hack.) could be interesting. And maybe the artwork could show him/her using a crossbow fitted with 2-3 bolts, eh, eh? I know the STR 1 on a guardian might throw some people off, but think about it, inspire the Ranger and/or buff it's strength and it's secondary ability could be very good indeed, on top of that, the 15 defense is much better than than the Rogue's 13, give it an armour boost and you could even use it to fill a gap.

diesbudt

No problems Ald. That isn't an idea I had.

I only have a problem however with a ranged unit having 'high' defense, and his second passive ability.

Maybe limit it to 3 attacks a turn or something. Or limit his strength from never going higher than 2 and/or not able to be inspired.

Which would be similar to rogues strength unbuffed, and wouldn't be too overbearing should someone use FM 10 valor Bloodlust on him along with bard buffs.  Because that unit will never stop attacking until no units are left in LoS.

diesbudt

I'm going to submit 1 guardian and 1 hero.

(the guardian is inspired by the real gladiators of rome and the weapons they used)

Guardin - Gladiator
3 Str, 15 Def, 6/6 life.

Ability 1 (passive): Trident Reach - This unit may attack a unit 2 spaces away (Along with hitting a unit inbetween it its so)

Ability 2 (1 card): Giant Fishnet - If target adjacent enemy unit takes damage this turn after using this ability, he/she is immobilized.  This ability cannot be used at the end of a sprint.

Alderon

Quote from: diesbudt on July 30, 2010, 02:51:58 PM MT
No problems Ald. That isn't an idea I had.

I only have a problem however with a ranged unit having 'high' defense, and his second passive ability.

Maybe limit it to 3 attacks a turn or something. Or limit his strength from never going higher than 2 and/or not able to be inspired.

Which would be similar to rogues strength unbuffed, and wouldn't be too overbearing should someone use FM 10 valor Bloodlust on him along with bard buffs.  Because that unit will never stop attacking until no units are left in LoS.

Yeah, I didn't think about the highest potential. I think all units should be able to be inspired, but maybe str no higher then 2 is a better idea. Or even it can only work 2-3 times in a turn.

diesbudt

Hero - Shaman
3 Str, 13  Def, 6/6 life

Ability1 (passive): Second chance - If this units melee attack misses (or is blocked), he may attack once again this turn.

Ability2 (1 card): Chain Lightning - Perform a 3 Str attack on an opposing unit in Los. The attack than bounces and attacks the closest opposing unit in LoS of your target for 1 Str (if there is such a target).

Ability 3 (passive): Spirit Defense - Whenever the shaman uses a restoration spell, he gains +1 defense until the start of your next turn.

Ability 4  (2 cards): Ancestral Spirits - Summon 2 Ancestral spirit monsters on spaces surrounding the shaman.

Summon - Ancestral Spirit
2  Str, 8 Def, 1 life

Ability 1 (passive): Spirit absorption - at the start of your turn this unit dies, and if it dies in this manner the shaman heals 1 hp.
Ability 2 (passive): Limited Mobility - This unit may only move 3 spaces (excluding sprint).

space

Blacksmith | Guardian
STR: 3 DEF: 13 LIFE: 5

Hammer Throw | 10 Valor
Roll 3 dice against target unit up to 6 spaces away. Results of 13 or more cause 1 damage as well as stun the target unit until blacksmiths next turn.

Enchanted Hammer | 15 Valor/Passive
Roll a dice for each unit surrounding hammer throw target unit, results of 8 or more immobilize the unit(s) until the start of blacksmiths next turn.

no0bzilla

I just rated and left a comment on IndiePub games under the same username as this one.

I don't really have any good ideas for character designs but I'll give it a shot.

Jester/Joker | Guardian
     STR: 2 DEF: 16 LIFE: 4/4

Ability 1 Mimic | Cost: 3 cards and 1 Life

Description: Ability to copy the ability(passive included) of a character/spell card.  The ability can be replaced by paying the cost again.

Ability 2: Name of the copied ability | Cost: Same cost to the copied ability/spell

Ability 3 Imprison Wall | Cost: 2 Cards

Description: I forgot the description, but its the same spell as trapping the unit into a magical wall.

Kin

I rated and made a comment on Indiepub yesterday. Anyway, here are my suggestions:

Time Cleric | Mage
STR: 2 DEF: 13 LIFE: 6

Those gifted with the power to manipulated time are recruited into the Academy of Arcane Arts as Time Clerics. Unlike traditional Clerics who nurse others back to health by tending their wounds, Time Clerics heal by undoing these wounds. On the battlefield, Time Clerics often strike fear into the hearts of their enemies because of their ability to see into the immediate future and predict the opponents’ every move. All those who managed to survive in a fight against the Time Clerics, can only speak of their failures and frustrations.

Self Recovery| Passive |
Time Cleric gains one lost life each time the player casts a recovery spell.

Time Warp| 1 Card | 5 Valor
Unit the start of your next turn, target unit gains one movement space if allied or loses one if not.

Future Sight | Passive | 10 Valor
Player has the ability to see another player's cards if his or her mage is visible to Time Cleric.

Rewind| 1 Card | 15 Valor
Undo the most effect that affected the target unit's life. Rewind cannot be used if the effect is over two.

Avenger | Guardian
STR: 3 DEF: 15 LIFE: 5

Fury | 2 Card
Avenger gets strength +2 until the start of your next turn.

Vengeance | Passive
Whenever your opponent kills one of your units, Avengers gets +2 to his attack dice until the start of your opponent’s next turn. Multiple vengeances do not stack.

Phantom Assassin| Guardian
STR: 3 DEF: 14 LIFE: 6

Ethereal | Passive
Phantom Assassin can move through units.

Spectral Dagger | 1 Card
Roll two attack dice against target unit.

Alderon

Good ideas Kin, but they need a bit of balancing. The ability to see everyone's cards as a Passive is just crazy I'm afraid. And a guardian that can buff itself to 8 str in one turn?

Bit OP don't you think?

Kin

Yes, future sight is really strong but I'm not quite sure how to weaken it. The guardian can only buff itself to 5. Why would it be 8?

Edit: No you misunderstand. The guardian's passive is like an inspired but it's only +3 and only active when an allied character dies. Basically, it would be like having a bard, but it has one more strength, and one less to its attack dice.

Edit 2: I weaken future sight. Changed fury to 2 card cost.

amorphis

I rated and made a comment on Indiepub.

but i dont have a character suggestion right now, just following yours guys :)