Want to design your own Hero Mages character? Vote for us on indiePub!

Started by Ross Przybylski, July 29, 2010, 06:39:46 PM MT

Aritheall

Rated and commented: Heres my idea for a unit.

Character Name | Guardian
    STR: # DEF: # LIFE: #/#

Ability 1 Name | Cost/Passive
    Description
    Ability 2 Name | Cost/Passive
    Description

{Magical Adept}{Guardian}
STR: 1  DEF: 12  LIFE: 5

Ability 1: Magical Conduit: Passive
Description: Spell cards may be cast using this units LOS (line of sight)
The Hero Mage is able to tap into the magical adepts power and use her as a magical conduit, a link, though which he can manifest his own powers.

Ability 2: Magical Interference: Cost: Two cards
Description: Target enemy Hero Mage within LOS (line of sight) receives 2 less mana at the start of that players next turn. (they will get only 2 mana on their next turn compared to the normal 3).

Edit 1: My vote has been cast...Go Hero Mages!!

Edit 2: More ideas for units.

(Demolitionist)(Guardian)
STR 2: DEF 16: Life 6/6

Ability 1: Demolish: Cost-2 cards
Des: Destroy Adjacent wall. Units may move though space created as i it were a normal space for the rest of the game.

Ability 2: Jury Rig Grenade: Cost-1card
Des: Target unit and all Adjacent units affected. All units suffer a 2 STR attack and, upon a hit, are stunned. Range of attack is 4 spaces.

(Martial Artist)(Guardian)
STR 3: DEF: 17 LIFE: 5/5

Ability 1: Mobility: Passive.
Des: This units speed is 7, meaning it may move 7 spaces on its turn instead o the usual 5. Also, this unit does not gain the "sprinted" side effect, and can thus sprint every turn (other normal rules for sprinting still apply).

Ability 2: Flurry: Cost-1 card (replaces attacks. Unit cannot attack and use this ability)
This unit may make an attack on every legal adjacent target.

Edit 3..more

(Blade Master)(Guardian)
STR 2: DEF 16: LIfe 6/6

Ability 1: Opportunistic: Passive.
Des. When this unit moves, it may make a 2 STR (perhaps should be 1 STR) attack against every unit it passes by (does not apply to sprints, cannot be buffed in any way, can only attack each unit once).

Ability 2: Parry: Cost-1 card
Des. The first regular melee attack against this unit automatically does no damage  (misses). Does not apply to spell cards (even if the are done by adjacent units) (perhaps this could be hidden so that the person your playing does not know  you have used it or not. Either way its useful...unless they happen to just have a skellie to use up the one free block).

Edit #4: My Mage idea(s)

Wind Lord: Mage
STR 3: DEF: 13: Life 5/5

Ab 1. Passive: Valor 0
Quickening Wind: All units in LOS of Wind Lord, Including Wind Lord, may move one more space per turn. (speed is 6 instead of 5)

Ab 2: 5 Valor. Cost 1 card: Gust-Target unit is blown 3 spaces away (spaces must be in a straight line). Cannot be used on self (Wind lard. Can be used on Guardians).

Ab. 3 10 Valor. Cost 2 cards: Tornado-Blow back all units adjacent to this unit 2 spaces straight back and roll 2 dice against each. If one or more target unit runs into a wall before the required 2 spaces, add 1 damage to the total damage it took form this ability.

Ab. 4 20 Valor. Passive: Mobility Master-Unit may move twice per turn. (May move, attack move or attack, move, move or move, move, attack.)

Kazin

Just voted and rated in indiePub. (name : Kazin, just as here)

As for the special character, it would be only logical to have a mage how specializes around healing spell : sorc works around destruction, fighter mage augmentation, summoner around summons, the other old dude around manipulation...

But the question is : what sort of unit ? Some sort of priest ? I'm not sure about how the mechanics would work. Some healing ? Blessing ? But it would look too much like the paladin. Bottom line : wouldn't know without some serious thinking ! =)

amorphis

Quote from: Kazin on August 02, 2010, 03:14:00 AM MT
As for the special character, it would be only logical to have a mage how specializes around healing spell : sorc works around destruction, fighter mage augmentation, summoner around summons, the other old dude around manipulation...

But the question is : what sort of unit ? Some sort of priest ? I'm not sure about how the mechanics would work. Some healing ? Blessing ? But it would look too much like the paladin. Bottom line : wouldn't know without some serious thinking ! =)

could be like that : for example FM has +1 to his Augmentation spells after only 10 valor, sorc has +1 to her Destruction spells and +1 additional life lose after 15 ! valor -if they can hit -, summoner has +1 str +1 def to her summons after "just 1" valor, and the old wizy can Sage and Arcane Insight.

so now here is what i think if there will be a Priest or smt like that she can have 2 of these 4 ablities.

#1 player can cast healing spells for 1 less mana (passive)
#2 player drows a card each time Priest cast a healing spell
#3 players healing spell modifiers get +1 absolute value.
#4 player can summon a healing fountain which can be touched to recover 1 lost life

now those quick thinking brings me to that point.i can come up with a mage suggestion.here she is:

Priest | Mage

STR: 1 DEF: 12 LIFE: 6/6

Ability 1 Pure Healer | Passive |

Player can cast Recovery spells for 1 less mana and all the other spells cost 1 more mana with a maximum cost of 3.

Ability 2 Life Fountain | Cost: 2 cards | 5 Valor

Priest can summon a static statue on a target space which can be used by adjacent units to it to recover 1 lost life.(Cannot be used if you have already a fountaion on the battlefield. )

Ability 3 Wise | Passive | 10 Valor

Player draws a card each time Priest casts a Recovery spell.

Ability 4 Recovery Superior | Passive | 15 Valor

Player’s Recovery spell and fountain modifiers get +1 absolute value.

:) btw that was fun to create that, thanks Kazin to help me come up with this idea.

hope you enjoy it!    

Ross Przybylski

Hi everyone!  Thank you for the comments, ratings, and character ideas so far!

VOTING STARTS TODAY!  Remember to vote for Hero Mages daily at https://www.indiepubgames.com/vote.php

You must be logged into indiePub account to actually submit the vote.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Winterland

Voted and commented.  Same usernames on both sites.  No character to submit at this time.

JormiBoced

I signed up and voted!

My idea is:
Lizardman Warrior | Guardian
    STR: 2 DEF: 14 LIFE: 6

Ability 1: Scaly Skin - Passive:  The Lizardman Warrior may ignore one damage inflicted to it each turn.

Ability 2: Savage - Cost 2 Cards:  All damage inflicted by the Lizardman Warrior this turn is doubled.

Ross Przybylski

IndiePub has informed me of a change in their voting policy: You only need to vote one time, not once per day.  Just make sure you visit https://www.indiepubgames.com/vote.php and cast your vote for Hero Mages!

Atomikinho

I've rated, and commented in the IndiePub, using the same username, Atomikinho, and no have any ideas to the character =]

Ross Przybylski

How To Vote:
There has been some confusion as to what actually constitutes a vote.  Here is a screen shot of the actual voting page and what you should see to cast your vote in the contest.  Note- the combo boxes are listed in random order- feel free to pick whatever game you like for runner up.

lucarion

I created an indiepub account as lucarion and voted for Hero mages.  Looking forward to seeing you in a couple days @ Gencon.  I like the gameplay, a mixture of chess and a card game.  Reminds me of the old game Archon.

Ross Przybylski

To all those who've voted so far, thank you!  Also, we can still use your support: Let your friends and family and other players you encounter in the game to check out this forum post and submit their votes to indiePub as well.  The more support we can rally the greater our chance of winning and getting new features added to the game!

Sinney

andodel

Hey, well my indiepub name is also andodel. Here's my idea for a person. Also, I already have a minotaur, so what happens when i get my code.

Spy | Guardian
     STR: 2 DEF: 15 LIFE: 6/6

Stealth | 2 cards
     Alows you to turn invisible for 2 turn. If you attack or, someone walks into you, you will be revealed.
    Backstab | 3 cards
     Can only be used when standing behind someone. When used, it rolls 8 dice. If 4 of the dice hit, the enemy will die. If 3 or less or 5 or more is hit, that amount of damage will be dealt.

Can we have more than one character idea?

Dimir26

Alright I voted here's my character idea.

Ninja | Guardian
     STR: 5 DEF: 10 LIFE: 5

Cloak | 2 cards
Cannot be targeted until the end of your next turn. Cannot move during this effect

Kappa Waza | Passive
Whenever an adjacent character hits this one, that character becomes stunned

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: andodel on August 04, 2010, 02:37:09 PM MT
Can we have more than one character idea?

Sure, post as many as you like here.  Presuming we win the IndiePub Community Favorite, I will work with players to pull together the best ideas, balance them with the game, and then initiate a poll for the ultimate winner.  We might even consider combining some ideas- there's a lot of great suggestions here so far and certain abilities players have come up with could work well with other players characters, too.  Should be a lot of fun!

In the meantime, spread the word to your other gaming friends and coworkers- we need all the votes we can get!