AFK - Players Stats in Game Lobby - More TIme At Start

Started by 1EasyGamer, August 07, 2010, 11:19:36 PM MT

1EasyGamer

AFK - Someone requested this already, maybe just an AFK text over the characters icon.

Player Stats in Game Lobby - To have the same W-L-R stats that show in the Main Lobby also show when creating a Game cause this would allow for more balanced teams creations without having to remember who was what, newbie, expert, etc.

I think the extra starting time for the first player should maybe be 15 sec if 1:00 min round or less is selected and 10 sec for anything above 1:00 min above. Or maybe just 15 all around, but 10 sec seems too little when playing.

Love the Game

diesbudt

A player's stats are already in the game room and the game. All you need to do is click on the appropiate tab and you can read them all.

Also  turn times can be changed. So a new player just has to ask for longer turn times (1:30 is default), and when they get fast enough to play those times then they will.

Ross Przybylski

Hi EasyGamer!  Thanks for suggestions and welcome to Hero Mages community!  As dies mentioned, the user stats can be viewed in both the game lobby and during the game using the "User" tab.

The AFK is great idea- we hope to implement in next version or two.

Hope to play some games with you soon!
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Tampit

What he ask is not the whole time each turn but on the first turn
On 1min if you have the first turn you don't know anything about  the opponents placement or your initial cards and once you get a general idea you might lose precious time to make the actions them selfs
A 15 sec initial time for first player gives enough time to get an general idea of things

1EasyGamer

So the AFK is being worked on, thanks Ross. The stats are available already, thanks diesbudt. The third suggestion was misunderstood, Tampit is right what I was asking for is to give the initial player a little bit more extra time on the first turn of the game to be able to get a read on your cards and the situation. If a 1:00 turn time limit was selected that first player would get 1:10 in his first turn as things are now but he might use about 15-30 sec of that just to get an idea of where he is and what he has cardwise and where everyone else is and what they have, what game heroes they are playing. While this is going on with the first player the other player get plenty of time to be able to do this, get they strategical situation figured out but they do not have to burn their turn time. SO to me it feels like the first turn for the first player is rushed and it might lead to an initial mistake and kind of ruin the game for himself and lessen the experience for the other ones playing. My suggestion was to increase this extra first player, first move on the first turn time to 15 sec, 10 sec is no fair enough imho. Also this could maybe be made into a pre game settings options and have a 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds options pulldown.

diesbudt

Quote from: 1EasyGamer on August 08, 2010, 04:21:24 PM MT
So the AFK is being worked on, thanks Ross. The stats are available already, thanks diesbudt. The third suggestion was misunderstood, Tampit is right what I was asking for is to give the initial player a little bit more extra time on the first turn of the game to be able to get a read on your cards and the situation. If a 1:00 turn time limit was selected that first player would get 1:10 in his first turn as things are now but he might use about 15-30 sec of that just to get an idea of where he is and what he has cardwise and where everyone else is and what they have, what game heroes they are playing. While this is going on with the first player the other player get plenty of time to be able to do this, get they strategical situation figured out but they do not have to burn their turn time. SO to me it feels like the first turn for the first player is rushed and it might lead to an initial mistake and kind of ruin the game for himself and lessen the experience for the other ones playing. My suggestion was to increase this extra first player, first move on the first turn time to 15 sec, 10 sec is no fair enough imho. Also this could maybe be made into a pre game settings options and have a 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds options pulldown.

Ah, my apoloigies for mis understanding what you ment. I know many players who don't have the problem (as we/they can just glimpse at their hand and know what they have.) but this isn't a bad suggestion. I could see how it might work, for something like 15s circle. That would be helpful.

Ross Przybylski

Ah, I see what you're getting at now.  Before adding this as a feature, let's consider the following counter-point, however:

Turn order is randomly assigned, and in almost all cases, getting first turn is already a huge advantage (especially in games like Circle of Slaughter where they have the first chance to Blizzard/Meteor Shower/or Shield their mage).  Now we're saying we should give the first turn player additional turn time?  This, in my opinion, would make first turn even more coveted and lead to many players complaining getting first turn is overpowered/player X won because they went first/etc.

Keep in mind that it's just as likely you could be randomly assigned "last turn" and, that as first turn player, you always have the option to simply press "End Turn" thereby automatically trading first turn for last turn.  In fact, an awesome first turn move if you simply don't know what to do is to discard 3 cards you don't want and pass the turn so you get three new cards.

Also, instead of adding extra time to first turn player, I'd opt for adding a "Game Start Countdown" to the beginning of the match.

1EasyGamer

I guess having a "Game Start Countdown" with a decreasing counter that all can see would be a nice touch but the effect would be the same as adding to the first player. In any case it might be a good idea. To give you an example when I played a 3v3 Dungeon Blockade with a 1:00 round it took me a while to figure were my units were and my allies units and the enemies units and then looking at my cards. The fact that all the allies units have the same color does not really make it easy to find my units. I am going on a tangent here but maybe this is something you can think of doing something for, that is to identify my personal units with maybe just a marker or something that distinguishes them from my allies. I see your arguments, maybe 10 is ok and I just need more practice. In truth 5 extra seconds might not mean much anyway.

Tampit

So make it an option where you could select the time added(none 5sec 10sec 15sec) ? Besides players who know what there doing could probably assert quickly the situation and act so it doesn't matter to them the extra 10 sec, but for someone not at that level might result in a wasted opportunity that they could have used
As it stands depending on the map the 2nd turn is always the best(except rush maps then its 2nd best)

diesbudt

Actually that is quite wrong. Each turn has its advantages and disadvantages.  So Second turn isn't best.

First turn can set up summons/spells/units to take an early control of the field, to restrict the movement of opposing units, in fear of being shot down midfield. A quick Teleass strike, or a sp-blizzard attack first turn is huge in many games.

Last turn has the advantage in seeing every player move, and get a hint of their play style and where their units are for possible easy attacks. And knowing if he can heal a friendly unit or assist in a partner who is midfield

Middle turns have a mix of the 2.

I know myself, and other players I usually play with, it just takes practice. I know many who can scan the field, their cards, their units, and move/do everything they want on turn 1 and press "end turn" with 15 or more seconds to spare in 1 minute turn time. This includes first turn.

Im just saying, if 1 minute isn't enough even at first turn, than ask for 1:30 turn times (faster players always have the option to end their turns quicker anyways), and so on. So if you feel you need the extra time, play with it.

I can understand the problem if you find it hard to quickly recognize your color of units in team games, especially a map like the 3v3 default "rosses" maps, where all the units are put together almost.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: 1EasyGamer on August 09, 2010, 05:21:54 AM MT
The fact that all the allies units have the same color does not really make it easy to find my units. I am going on a tangent here but maybe this is something you can think of doing something for, that is to identify my personal units with maybe just a marker or something that distinguishes them from my allies.

Your personal units are always distinguished by the personal color you picked on actual their clothing, while your team is distinguished by the color of the box around each unit.  If you have trouble finding your units on the board, remember that you can mouse over their portraits on the upper left and they will highlight and look up at you. 

Perhaps it would help to have an optional setting to highlight the shade of the space underneath your own units as well?

1EasyGamer

About the player units identification I decided to create a post just with that to see if people are having the same issue as me.