News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Being 1st player on a timed battle

Started by markeski, July 25, 2009, 06:45:45 PM MT

markeski

Being first player on a timed battle stinks, third player gets signifcant extra time to look at their opening hand and formulate strategy while I am placed on the spot to react with the clock already ticking...

2 possible routes to go here:

1. nobody sees their opening hand until their turn begins and then its plays as normal with seeing your hand during other's turns
2. first player gets extra time on opening hand

i like option 1 best as it seems the most balanced and fair.

Ross Przybylski

Thanks for the post, markeski!  First I would suggest considering that if you are first player and needed more time, you could technically just go ahead and hit the End Turn button- this would have the effect of making you last player in the que.

Being first player has its advantages/disadvantages as you have the opporunity to move first (often setting the stages for everyone else's turn) but you don't have the opporuntity to react to other players' moves.

Markeski has raised an interesting point and we'd like to hear more suggestions regarding this topic.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Joshua

I agree with Ross,

There's disadvantages and advantages for going first. Same for last etc. I would suggest not adding any extra timers.

However, I quite like the idea of cards being not visible until the start of their first turn.

Crimson Avenger

I second that motion from Joshua.

Keeping the player's hands empty until it's their turn balances the game immensly without having to add timers or anything else.