News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

ranks

Started by fengo, October 11, 2010, 01:58:05 PM MT

fengo

I was thinking about maybe adding ranks to your profile like if you played over 50 battles then your a hero, 100 maybe leader, 200 veteran, and so on

kefkam

you already now the total games you played, example 220 games, 120 wins, 100 loses.
etc etc.

and showing also "you are veteran". its repetitive.

in my opinion.

Ross Przybylski

I was thinking it might be fun if players earned experience for playing matches and bonus experience for winning.  Rather than simply wins/loss you'd get points based on a measure of succes within that game.  For example, each enemy hero you defeat is worth X points.  Beating higher ranked players might also yield additional experience.

Experience could then relate to rank as well as allow access to certain unlockable items like custom armor for your heroes.

So, while rating reflects your true-skill level (to be used later for match making purposes) on the basis of wins/losses against rated players, experience rewards you for playing games and specific feats and accomplishments within each game.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

amorphis

Hey Kef and Ross!

First of all I want to say you that maybe I dont post much in forums but I try to keep track of here and read most of them.

Now with this suggestion and a few others I read before - such as; guilds etc.. - , I may forecast that you are planning to make big updates that may have a huge impact on how HeroMages works.

I believe and support the whole idea of improving/developing HeroMAges and I see that the community is growing day by day after IndiePub and AI. I am totally glad with that and thank you for this.

But I have a little concern. Maybe you realize that -or maybe not- I am here for a while, really love this game, try to play regularly. ( lol just checked now i have almost over 182 hours of play time ) I make really good friendships here and love the community and for me this game is kind of different compared to other bunch of games I played online for years.

The main difference is everytime you start a new game its completely fair in my opinion. Because all players, without looking their experience or how good they are, start with 1 Mage and 2 Guardians and with the "Dice" factor this game is almost unpredictable and interesting in every single challenge. Now maybe someone who reads this can say that, those who have "special unit packs" have an advantage against regular units, then I have one single word to answer. It is "Vinman".

Anyway, I dont wanna ramble this, my point is:

Yes we/you should develop HeroMages, try to make it reach more more people. However while doing this, we/you should keep HeroMages' uniqueness.

Quote from: Ross Przybylski on October 13, 2010, 12:14:18 AM MT
Experience could then relate to rank as well as allow access to certain unlockable items like custom armor for your heroes.

So, while rating reflects your true-skill level (to be used later for match making purposes) on the basis of wins/losses against rated players, experience rewards you for playing games and specific feats and accomplishments within each game.

Yes, this experience thing can work and help people play HeroMages more. On the other hand, I apologize you but I think you may have not keep this game unique and kind of vintage by implementing such achivements/items etc. If there will be an "experience bar" then it should not affect the game play, should not change the "fair" 1 Mage 2 Guardians start.

If I could write all these in my native language, I could express my toughts more clear. Anyway I think this works too. Thanks for reading.

Morph.

Ross Przybylski

Thank you for expressing your concerns, Morph.  I can certainly understand not wanting to loose the uniqueness that is Hero Mages, which in this case means equal advantage for all players at the start of the game.  Rest assured, I don't want us to loose this uniqueness either.  The whole reason I created Hero Mages was to take all the things I love about miniature/card/strategy games, eliminate the extraneous details and statistics, and provide a game that anyone can jump in and enjoy.

I have no intention of experience adding unfair advantages.  Rather, as a reward for playing games and achieving specific feats, players could use experience to unlock new "elite" aesthetic options (different character artwork, special character titles, etc.) as a way to represent their prowess in the game. 

I've also considered new character abilities as unlocks.  But rather than being "upgrades" to existing abilities like "My fireball rolls 6 dice instead of everyone else's 5 dice fireball" these new abilities would be alternative ways to outfit your character and essentially create a new starting character class.  For example, I thought it would be interesting to explore the rogue's assassination abilities.  Experience might be used to unlock a backstab ability, but to use it, you'd have to exchange it for one of his existing abilities.

Just like players who purchase additional Hero packs, players who earn experience will gain access to a greater array of diversity when choosing their team.  They aren't more powerful, but they have more options.  More options = more ways to have fun.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

amorphis

Thanks for enlightenning me on this Ross.

Dirpius

I think it would be interesting, if you were to implement the choice for different abilities in units, to keep them hidden from your opponents, adding a certain element of suspense and surprise.

FrontaLobotomy

I have to say that Morph did well stating his case. And I believe he has the exact same mentality I do, in regards to the HM experience.  It is such a layered game, odd, for one so simple.  

Addressing the issue of "Experience".
Personally, any "in game effect" that applies a different option available to a player whos played 2 years, must not be functionally different from that available a player whos only played a week.   Bonuses that are aesthetic, and dont affect actual gameplay, are cool. And believe, that i will flaunt them.
I speculate heavily, but i imagine a future HM that has abilities available at 3000 valor on a single player basis. And that multiplayer has an option to select a "max valor" ability.  Simultaneously, limiting and encouraging vet bonuses.
I just saw the valor system as an easy, already placed, long term earning system.
whatever comes, play should stick to the roots. I think it will.

Regards,

FL