News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

ideas for different terrain

Started by fengo, October 15, 2010, 01:55:01 PM MT

fengo

terrian wich you can see over but not move over, like a pond, a lava pool, or bottomless pit.

2 thought destructible walls, have a basic wall type with 10 def and 2 hp

FrontaLobotomy

Sounds pretty cool.  I think trapped tiles, or bonus giving tiles (hidden and random) would be interesting also.

Ross Przybylski

Very good call.  New terrain features was also one of the features IndiePub requested.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Archie

You could have tiles that give a targetting bonus or offer some protection - even to specific characters if you want to get complicated e.g. trees give rangers a bonus.

Making it character specific becomes a headache from the point of balance but generally tiles with bonuses or negatives might add a twist.

Zelanius Forcys

Nice idea!
Reminds me of Shining Force and Fire Emblem series.
While the tiles give bonus, maybe they can also reduce movement?
Those old games have tiles that give defense bonus while reducing movement, and with different classes having different bonus/movement penalty.

Zel

Archie

As an old school gamer who grew up playing games with 1cm card tile units I think you are spot on Zelanius. In those often infantry could move into trees but cavalry units couldn't and it slowed the movement of the infantry.

You could also have some maps giving a bonus to movement, or not suffering the penalties to certain creatures e.g. the ice golem could gain on the ice map etc.

Ross Przybylski

Terrain will definately have significance moving forward into new expansions. This topic has gained special attention for the board game.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Archie

Great to here. It could really add a new dimension to strategies.

Baker

What about the spells we talked about years ago having characters move backwards in a straight line into the nearest wall? Also, isn't there already a spell that removes a chunk of wall?