News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

fm, and bard

Started by the stoat, October 21, 2010, 05:19:20 AM MT

diesbudt

I have never said flash was weak, I also never stated the FM is weak.

All I stated was that flash isn't as good as some players are thinking because, any experienced player won't be completely cornered (unless massivly outnumbered... which even the FM is in trouble) with their mages, as correct positioning can prevenr that.

I also stated its not hard staying out of flash range because, that's only 9 spaces (that with clever body blocking or positioning) the FM won't be able to reach the hero without great risk of getting close a turn or 2 prior to a flash assault.

And a flash + sprint isn't a good move, as a FM isn't that great of a spell caster and he can't sprint + attack.  So one only needs to be positioned 9+ spaces away to be safe (excluding clever positioning or body blocking).

Plus since flash can only jump to opponent players and be adjacent not surrounding, the ability isn't all that powerful... I can only imagine the extra strategy involved if you could flash to friendly units.

You also keep arguing that he has average abilities AND superior stats.

The thing I didn't do was rank how bad/good the abilities are in a quantitative way. like  1 < 2  but also  1 < 100.

what I mean is: when the game starts moving alone, you will be surprised what the other heros can do that the FM can't. (My wizard 1 time did a teleport + disentigrate on an opponent mage who was at 4 hp for  4 damage)  moved, attacked his teammates hero and used lightning and than death touch to kill him.  (2 heroes killed in 1 turn using all my cards)

Or a sorc that can rain hell on opponents from a distance... killing 3 of 4 oppossing heros in 1 turn was just wrong of my cousin to do...

Dirpius

Ah, I'm glad my Supreme Glass Cannon Sorc has not been forgotten!  But, I'd figure I'd weigh in on the subject matter while I'm looking this all over.

1) The bard does still irk me, but not at the level the Samurai used to.  I agree that inspire should be altered, whether it is in the form of a plus 3 mod to the dice or some other way.

2) When it comes to the FM, just like any other unit, you have to understand how to play against it.  In a game where positioning is everything, you must realize that the FM is unique in the fact that he has an ability to "maneuver".  As Diesbudt was saying, it isn't all that hard to keep your mage out of flashing range.  Look over a few maps, get a few thousand games in ya, and positioning becomes second nature to you.  Once you realize how to position your units, FM, all of the sudden, becomes one of the underpowered mages, in my honest opinion.

A FM just can't stand up to the pure destructive force a Sorceress can become.  The potential of a FM, in terms of damaging and killing potential, seems pretty limited, and he can become a card hog if you try and keep up with Dragons Furys.  He doesn't hardly compare to a sorc who gets extra dice on all their destructive spells.

A FM certainly can't keep up with the kind of end game challenge a Wizard will pose against you.  A Wizard, again in good hands, will win any kind of duel that lasts too long beyond 15 valor.  Sometimes, you just can't get enough in your arsenal to take them out fast enough, before they punish you by their methods of constant control, whether it's imprisons, gateways for escape, barricades for escape, sleep (albeit, not against a FM) and soon enough, after so much cycling, their ability to destroy will be there.

And personally, I haven't encountered enough or played enough summoners to weigh in on them.  But it seems to be the logic that if they're not played, they seem to be the ones that need fixing, to become better.  I definitely like the "Black Fountain" idea.

So, since I bashed the FM a little, I might as well say what I think they did to balance him in the long run.  They made him a little harder to kill, (the Higher Def), and gave him a slight boost to his ATK.  Hence, he is the FM that he is.  I think he is very balanced.  If anything, the Summoner requires a fix.

Dirpius's opinion of the mages:
Sorc>Wizard≥FM>Summoner, while considering situational challenges.

FrontaLobotomy

On the FM:

QuoteHe isn't hard to beat and I beat them ALL the time. Basically, once you understand the game in the way I do, you realize all the units are balance, just at different times of the game

I think I've said this same thing, a few different ways, a few different times ^^

Without the "understand the game the way I do" part, I dont think ive said that yet. Cuz I dont.   Bottom line is, I have no problem with any of the units, or even spells. (besides summoner,  obvious, but not a huge weakness)

QuoteAnd personally, I haven't encountered enough or played enough summoners to weigh in on them.  But it seems to be the logic that if they're not played

I play the summoner quite a bit, and I dont do too bad with her. Anytime Dirpius  ;D

Cheers

FL

kefkam

hi guys.
i also think that FM is the best hero, as zawolf argumented.

the best way to see is to play some serius games.

FrontaLobotomy

QuoteMy conclusion: No matter what you say, no matter what evidence you show, hard headed people don't change their mind (and that includes me).  Smiley

awesome.   Good to know ^^
Cheers