News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Boast your Gaming Heritage

Started by Ross Przybylski, July 25, 2009, 08:24:00 PM MT

andodel

Every gaming system! Do you have the NES, SNES, Sega, N64,etc? I'm an amateur old game system collector, I have a couple old systems, but not many. Old system wise I have 2 segas, an original and slightly newer one, a gamboy pocket along with Pokmen red, blue, and yellow and thats basically it. I'm still looking for the old nintendo game system's like the NES. I also have GBA, a Gamecube, a WII, a DS, and a DSI. You could also count my Ipod touch which I mainly use for gaming and my Mac book pro which I do some gaming and work on.

Mornlord

Looks like I'm among friends.  Lol.

For me it was a combo of board games, book rpgs, computer games, console games, table top games...

Looking back it started just by watching my family play monopoly when I was little believe it or not....they were SUPER competitive and had a ton of fun.  Made me die to get older and play.  Got into board games like Heroquest, Axis and Allies, Buck Rogers, Shogun (now known as Samurai Swords) etc.  My buddies, brother, and I even began splicing the games.  Using pieces from all of them and miscellaneous toys...giving the similar pieces like attributes...deciding on a board to use...making movement rules...and then battling eachother.  This game reminds me of those days. 

At the same time my father was one of the few people in the neighborhood who always had a computer.  My brother and I drove him crazy always jumping on to play the text based fantasy game "Adventure."  Got a nintendo shortly after that and went wild there and on tons of consoles since. 

And I saw a game called "DC Heroes" at a comic store....bought it for my brother for his bday (so I could play) and that began a LONG love affair with book rpgs....from there to D&D (Dad found out..said it was evil and made people commit suicide so banned us from playing it.....so we then played everything else but it), Palladium, TMNT, Rifts, Robotech, Stormbringer...etc.  GM'd half the time, then would switch so I could play.

It wasn't long after that till I got into table top games like Warhammmer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k.  Whew. 

I also was an old MMORPG head.  Was part of the wave that was the trailblazer in "Ultima Online."  Wanted to play Everquest desperately but my comp wouldn't handle it...got to play it like twice and I thought that was a tragedy.  Then WoW came and I lost about 5 years of my life.  Had to give it up about 3 years ago.  But yeah...I'm like the rest of you :)

Ross Przybylski

Great story Mornlord! Hero Quest was actually a huge inspiration for Hero Mages. In fact, the precursor to Hero Mages was a physical board game that focused on cooperative dungeon crawling and randomly generated monster battles. I'll have to dig up the old printed cards and share them on the forums.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Flux Cobalt

My game experiences would include D&D which I started in playing in 1979 along with Starfleet Battles. Also your typical family board games Monopoly, Life ect.. Plus, Risk, Halo Risk, Axis and Allies, Dragon Dice, Samurai Swords, Magic the Gathering and Starfleet Battles PC game.  I recently got back into playing D&D which is still a blast to play. My wife bought me a tablet recently and that is how I discovered Hero Mages, which happens to be a fantastic game. So much so that I was able to get a few other guys in the fire department to get it. In our down time we can get a quick game in no matter which fire station we are at thanks to the cross platform concept. Thanks for a great game D20Studios. I have been waiting a long time for a game like this.

Ross Przybylski

Thanks for sharing, Flux! My older brother who's also a fire fighter said something to me once: "I love playing games, but with my schedule, I don't have time to read an 80-page rule book. I just want to get together with friends, kill things, find it funny, and go home." It was this concept for which the game was created. So glad to hear you guys are enjoying Hero Mages!

Ich

I started gaming with D&D when it first came out.  My brother and I had read an article on it and were waiting for it to go on sale.

Several years ago, I was playing Neverwinter Nights on ALFA servers, but other than that, I've long since moved away from D&D.  I've moved on to games like V:tES, which I played regularly in the '90s and WoD games which I still play online via PbP (gotexp.com/d20 in case you are interested!)

The computer and android games I prefer are generally turn based strategy games and I regularly meet to play board games like Settlers of Catan, Citadels, Nightfall, Smallworld, etc.  And I'm currently trying to put together a group to do some TT roleplaying with the Vampire the Requiem or A Song of Ice and Fire RPG.

Whew!  What a geek!

Trasd

Now I am starting to understand the average maturity level of the community - I too started with D&D when it first came out.  I still have the original (3 of the 4) game booklets and most of the entire 2nd edition publications.  AD&D has to be my all-time favorite game.  Back in the late '70's, we used a dry-erase map and miniatures when they came out.

My favorite computer games have to be NWN, NWN2, Morrowind, and Oblivion.  As far as board games, pretty much anything involving strategy.

I now spend most of my time on DDO and LotRO - not necessarily because they are my favorite games, but because of physical problems, they have become my vehicle to a social life!

Archie

Blimey where to begin.

Game playing since my earliest years - Chess, Scrabble, Monopoly were the three staples in our house.

1982 when into Games Workshop Manchester store - which was when they only had two stores! That changed my gaming life!

Basic then Expert DnD - now 4th edition with my children

ZX Spectrum in 1982 (a good year) and computer games from then on - what was the name of the DnD dungeon crawler - Eyes of something - dungeon of something?

Loved Car Wars - a virtually perfect game and crying out for a good computer version.

Games I've played for far too many hours...Doom, Doom 2, Command and Conquer (various), Jagged Alliance 2 (greatest computer game ever coded if you ask me), Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (possibly the second greatest computer game of all time)

Like to create my own board and card games - created one based on the TV show Alias using a Risk board and custom cards, dice and physical challenges against the clock!!

Drawn up dozens of sets of rules for different figure sets, micro tanks and created my own fantasy card game for my kids rather than bankrupt myself on Magic cards! That and it was fun to do.

Don't play computer MMO games due to not having enough time and I recognise my weakness for spending too long playing and not enough time sleeping! Hero Mages cost me two hours last night until my beloved wife said "You do know how late it is" in that tone of voice that says 'listen to me!' 

In modern times I haven't played many computer games but the online flash game Monsters of Dread - which you can find at Kongregate or ArmorGames has taken up a few hours...

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Archie on May 15, 2012, 11:41:19 AM MT
Drawn up dozens of sets of rules for different figure sets, micro tanks and created my own fantasy card game for my kids rather than bankrupt myself on Magic cards! That and it was fun to do.

Awesome. Way to be creative and have fun doing it!

MagicMissle

Is it weird if I don't play video games? Except for this one, of course.

Trasd

Quote from: MagicMissle on May 19, 2012, 01:32:16 PM MT
Is it weird if I don't play video games? Except for this one, of course.
Nope, but I think Ross' question was about any type of game, not specifically video.

VanHlebar

I started out by being introduced to RPGs by playing D&D back in the "1st Edition" days. Sadly I had to keep that a secret for years as one of my close friends in school had a mental disorder and he shot and killed another of our friends and the attorney used D&D as his basic defense.  :o So my mom would not let me play for years....

I loved video games of any type, sport, war games or D&D type games. I used to play a lot of Bards Tale as well.

Then as I got older and got my own gaming systems I tended towards FF series, Fable, Dragon Origins and the like.

Board games I love all sorts, we have a group that gets together once a year (2 guys live out of state) and we play board and card games all weekend long. We play games that are really strange and sometimes will buy a game we have never heard of just to try it out. We are all excited for HeroMages to come out as the board variant so that we can add it to our rotation!

I am loving HeroMages especially now that v1.8.0 has come out and I can play async games. I play so much more now than I did when I had to find time to be online, so again Ross THANKS for that! I am currently trying to get my son interested in HeroMages. I gave him my Kindle Fire last night and told him to install it so that he could check it out. I told him it would be a great game to kill time between classes at College. :)

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: VanHlebar on September 06, 2012, 07:57:06 PM MT
I am loving HeroMages especially now that v1.8.0 has come out and I can play async games. I play so much more now than I did when I had to find time to be online, so again Ross THANKS for that! I am currently trying to get my son interested in HeroMages. I gave him my Kindle Fire last night and told him to install it so that he could check it out. I told him it would be a great game to kill time between classes at College. :)

That's awesome! I am happy to hear that. I hope you two have fun.

jmvh59

I was just creeping around the forums and found this topic. 

I started with chess and tons of other boardgames in the early 80s (Monopoly, Life, Mousetrap, The Elfquest Boardgame, Axis & Allies, Hero Quest etc.) and moved on to RPGs fairly quickly (Basic D&D, Star Frontiers, Champions, AD&D 1st and 2nd Editions, Marvel Superheroes, Rifts, Earth Dawn, I am sure there are others I am forgetting). 

In that same timeframe, I played numerous computer games (Zork, Hi-res adventure, King's Quest series, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory, The Bard's Tale, Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Might and Magic II, Dragon Wars, Knights of Legend, Ultima VI and VII, Civilization, Baldur's Gate I and II, Fallout, NWN, City of Heroes, DDO). 

I also owned the following console games: Odyssey2, Colecovision, Sega Master System, SNES, PS1, PS2.  My favorite titles in no particular order are Final Fantasy Tactics, Blast Chamber, Summoner 2, Street Fighter 2: Tourney Edition, River Raid, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain series.

Before video and computer games evolved, I wasted a fortune in quarters on the likes of Gauntlet, Ikari Warriors, Street Fighter 1 and 2, Spy Hunter, Afterburner, Crossbow, Final Fight, Double Dragon, Pac Man, Qbert, Dig Dug and countless other arcade games at the legion of locations my parents took me (usually arcades and malls, but occasionally bars, restaurants and grocery stores).

See you on the virtual field of battle...

jmvh59

Totally blanked on the years I spent glued to Diablo2...