Enforced Game Exit upon completion

Started by Zelanius Forcys, November 03, 2011, 03:19:14 PM MT

Zelanius Forcys

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone has posted on the above topic, but is there a reason we have to exit the game after completing it? Having to return to the same room to set up the match for the same players can get a bit tedious, especially for 'marathon sessions' if you have plans to play for hours with friends. It will be great if we can return to the room that was already set up and just play again from there.

If this is an issue with server space, perhaps the host of the game can use his computer as the temporary server to save the room?

Zelanius Forcys

Ross Przybylski

This is a great callout. There's no hardware limitation for why players couldn't go back to the game lobby upon completion of the game vs. returning to the main chat lobby; this is simply the method I chose to go with based on the behavior of other games.

Some players have requested similar "easy-to-keep-playing" features like the ability to quickly restart a match (reconfiguring teams in case a player drops), "rematch mode", or "start over mode" where you could quickly adjust the game settings in case the host didn't setup the right options.

I suppose the best way to incorporate this would be to give players the choice to select either "Exit Game" or "Return to Game Lobby". This way, you'd all still be together and ready to pick your new heroes and setup the next match.

Some other cool possibilities:

Match Mode- This would be great for ranked games. Instead of having your rating affected by the outcome of a single game, you'd play the best of 3 on the same map, winners take all the points.
Summary Screen - Similar to the ending of a Starcraft match, you'd have the ability to see statistics for the last round, including kills, spells cast, dice rolled, etc. This would give eliminated players something fun to check out while they're waiting for the next game to start.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Zelanius Forcys

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of the Match Mode...if we are playing best out # number of rounds, if the losing player wins 1 less round than the winning player, the loser losses no rank, because both players are almost evenly matched, and the winning player might simply have gotten better rolls, cards, etc, or party with good synergy if playing random heroes.

As for the enforced exit, it was more because I was always playing practice rounds against 7 other bots, and setting them up continuously is a bit of a pain, so returning to the Game Room I previously set up without having to set them up again would be great, especially for new players looking to put in some practice before going into ranked.

I have also previously posted about classes that specialize in recovery magic...in D&D games, there are Clerics and Druids, and I was wondering if we can have those classes in? I am still thinking about their theme and abilities, but Druids can have something like Nature's Guardians, and have Ranger and perhaps Werewolf as Guardians, while Clerics can be a standalone class, and given away at special events (because we already have the Paladin in a separate theme). The Druid, however, would have a mix-bag of specialization in Destruction and Recovery spells.

Just throwing some suggestions out here and hope they are taken into consideration.

Zela Forcys.