News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Android Behavior & More

Started by Trasd, March 22, 2012, 06:10:44 PM MT

Trasd

With the Android app, on many screens and panels, there is no obvious way to back out.  In this situation I would normally press my tablet's "back" key (as I think most user would tend to do), but in HM this exits the game instead of dismissing the current panel or returning to the previous screen.  i.e. in Player Options under setting up a Custom Battle, the only way to back out is to hit accept, which is confusing and counterintuative.  I would suggest you add a Cancel or Back button to these panels and screens.

Trasd

Wouldn't you know it, I have a couple more suggestions:

1) Add option to show die roll results in one of the corners.  Much easier than looking at the log.
2) In the solo game setup, add the option for more than one human player (at least for Android, so couples can play together by passing the unit back and forth).

Ross Przybylski

Hmm, very interesting suggestion about adding other human players for "hot seat" style game play in single player. I will give this a shot!

Will also look at dice. Can you be more specific on screens which you're having trouble backing out of? Most panels should include a "Back to Summary" panel - I can look into adjusting this.

Also, the reason I have yet to code the Android "back" button is that they appear to be phasing this out entirely for their newer operating systems. As it is, I had to use their legacy code to get the dynamic buttons to appear at all on Honeycomb tablets. Not sure why everyone is so bent on removing physical buttons - I personally love having these available in a consistent location on the device.

Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Trasd

Ross, as you know, I am an Administrator and built my guild's web site, but I still have trouble with this one!  I just noticed your answer (I do choose see all new and answered posts, I always do, but it just showed up).

Basically, it's all screens!  Anytime I hit the back button (I can test each one if you want) I quit to desktop.

I agree with the hardware buttons.  In fact, I go so far as to reprogram my volume buttons to Menu and Back (really easy if anyone is interested) and completely remove all soft-buttons.  This is one of the first things I do when I have to re-flash my ROM, which is more often than I like.

Ross Przybylski

Sorry, I meant to ask- which panels in particular are troubling you with the virtual back button? I want the app to be intuitive enough where it works easy for those that don't have access to hardware buttons (Honeycomb, iOS, etc.).
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Trasd

Honestly Ross, I wouldn't know.  I don't use any virtual buttons, just my reprogrammed hardware buttons, sorry.  But, I would think it would work the same way.

Trasd

No one is posting their Android stats!  So, I will ask again in case this was missed (bump); please post your Android stats (see first entry) so we can help new users and users who may be having trouble and wondering if it is their system or not.