News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Reforms

Started by MagicMissle, April 05, 2012, 01:21:40 AM MT

MagicMissle

This new version of HM can be described in one word: EPIC

Now that I got that out, I have two small complaints for Ross

1) Game creation takes forever now when you have a bunch of NPCs. The style is cool, but it takes a lot more time than it used to.

2) MORE PEOPLE NEED TO GET ON AND TRY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (slackers)

Anyway, Ross, thanks so much. This has made the game so much better. You should feel accomplished  ;D

Stinkypinky

Im loving the new updates and I really appreciate the time and effort youve put into the game.  Ive gotten my wife to try HM out and she loves it.  We play it most nights.  Like you (from ehat i read) we're huge heroquest fans so we're really looking forward to the questing mode of the game.  Do you still plan to implement this and will it have local multiplayer?  That being said I do have one complaint.  I always play on my droid bionic and the wife plays on the pc.  I was very used to the old mobile layout and I actually really loved it.  I logged in today and noticed the gui has completely changed.  I feel as if everything has shrunk down half the size and the screen has been littered with buttons and info.  Maybe it will grow on me but im really missing the old layout....ALOT.  i feel like ive lost 40% of my tiny 3" screen.  Im sure its not easy to do but would there be a way that we could select our gui preference in the options?  I get that it might be nice to have a standard look across all platforms but i just dont think its fits on a 3" screen.  The buttons are so small now that i feel like i should be using a stylist.  Sorry for typos grammer run ons etc but im typing on my phone.  So to some it up, we LOVE the game but i would honestly pay for the old gui back.  Id pay for the questing feature too but thats abit off topic :P.

MagicMissle

Though I dont have a phone or tablet, i agree with you. HeroMages is a customizable game, so why can't with CUSTOMIZE what Versions we use, what parts of different versions, and over all, simple game play. HeroMages should be like WoW, customizable settings like crazy.

To tell the truth, I really havent stopped thinking about how I could help improve the game in a while. Sometimes I map out scenarios in my head, strategies to use later, etc. Im close to being addicted  just kidding. Anyway, Its nice to see that Ross is doing a great job trying to make everyone happy, not a certain group of people. I really wish I could help him design the game in itself :)

MagicMissle

And about the questing... Without it, HM could eventually fade out of sight with only multi player. As people go about their daily lives, and go to work and school, eventually, they'll get distracted and not play as often. BLAH BLAH BLAH, ends up no one is on, no one is willing to check a lot, and game goes dead. SO! You invent a questing system. Something that makes us nerds feel accomplished. Something to give the game a personal spark. Something that we look forward to when we log on. This game is great, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement. To be honest, I would have left this game a while ago, if you hadn't made yourself so public, whether it be about problems, new ideas, and updates. If you had just left this game go, none of us would be here. That I applaud you for. But it seems to me that you are kind of avoiding putting in PVE (Player Vs. Environment) aspects of the game. I understand the emphasis on multi player, but that shouldn't be the support for the game, it should be what makes it special.

So I have a proposal. You start on a questing system, making me and a lot of other players happy, and Ill get all the nerds in my school (dont worry, I go to a nerd school, world class program) to play. That will be about 20 new players (at least) I can get playing in a week. And the more you do to create/improve the questing systems, the more promotion I will do, even if it comes down to passing out flyers.

By this you should tell I want a questing system badly :D

Thanks again Ross

Ross Przybylski

Wow, thanks for posting guys, this really made my day! I really appreciate the feedback: it's so great to hear that people are taking notice of all the subtle details I've worked in to improve the gaming experience!

Ok, so first I want to adjust the screen sizing problem: I just noticed this last night when I logged into play a game on my Android and nearly had a "freak-out". This change was not intended, but rather a bug caused by a last minute tweak I made to be able to take some screenshots for the iOS marketing. I'd set a variable to force DPI- it was only supposed to do this if I had defined a custom DPI, but apparently it decided to use "0" evne if I didn't. Rest-assured, I immediately corrected the issue and posted v1.7.1 which brings back the good ole' inteface you're used to.

Next, regarding questing- I couldn't agree more! I've been so focused on technical challenges lately (namely, optimizing the interface for multiscreen and mobile performance) that I haven't had enough time to really focus on the game design itself (my absolute favorite part of being a developer). Here's a rough look at my next steps:

1) Finish polishing the interface by completing multiscreen support for the other game screens (game lobby, map editor, leaderboard, etc.) and adding back in mouse over tooltips/popups/etc. for the web/PC version.

2) Satisfy community needs for expansion support on mobile devices by adding player reward system, additional content, and in-app purchases. See https://heromages.com/gameInfo/expandableContent.html for more details

3) Revisit implementation for single-player modes (questing/dungeon-crawl/etc.)

A solid PvE conversion presents several big challenges, and you guys know me- if I'm going to do it, then it's got to be done well: lots of polish and high caliber quality, not a rush to make the next sale.

For starters, the AI could use a revamp: difficulty settings option and completion of some of the more complex algorithms (defending its mages better for instance). Second, a solid single player game requires some significant redesign to make it awesome: The game needs to have progression and scale itself so your characters can develop with the adventure. It also needs some new mechanics (fog of war, doors, traps, furniture, etc.) so the environment can be explored, random monster encounters, treasures, loot, etc. After all, why are we down in this dungeon?

I see a few possible avenues for this:

A) Start with something simple, like a survival mode, that pits playes against progressively more challenging arrays of monsters. This could be added to the existing Hero Mages game types.

B) Branch Hero Mages series into multiple game titles. This would allow me to introduce completely new mechanics necessary for well executed PvE gameplay. My current thoughts are:

i) Dungeon Crawler: An initially single player (evolve to cooperative) game that allows you to explore dungeons and other environments, involve strategic combat (ala HeroQuest), and allow you to advance your character. My goal is to make something that generates missions dynamically (vs. a single story script). This way, you can play through the game time-and-time again and have a new experience each time.

ii) Battles with Friends: An asychronous multiplayer combat game that plays out like a game of "Words with Friends". This would be great for mobile and web users alike: you'd be able to login and make your turn at leisure without having to worry about being online at the same time.

Design intricacies aside, the real challenge I'm facing in creating the quest mode is development costs. We need a new collection of artwork: illustrations, unit models, environments, items, etc. to make it all come together. The price for these resources adds up quickly, which is why the expansion and mobile sales are so important. I'm considering a few possible routes, such as setting up a "kickstarter" where people can donate funds to the project as well as teaming up with a full-time artist and/or another development team. I of course welcome your thoughts and suggestions as well.

Let me know what you guys think of these ideas!
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

MagicMissle

I LOVE your ideas of evolving a questing aspect to the game. I would like to be the first to try it out *hint hint* The idea of making it like D&D with the dungeons, is simply BRILLIANT! (You should change the name of the company to D&D20 studios, its catchy and I love the pun in it) The idea of adventure, a major storyline, a multi player campaign! That would be Epic. You can go so far with this.

And I really think you should follow up with some sort of bonus for leveling. such as being able to adjust a "personal" deck of cards. This could involve the card-playing aspect of the game. With each level you gain points, then you can buy cards and customize your deck. Like Yu-gi-oh. This would clearly show your emphasis on combining the best of games! (this would be a huge improvement to the questing)

And finally, I would like to make a HUGE request. Since you have your devoted players that have played for a long time, you should name your new characters in the story line after us. The idea of a maniacal young mage boy nicknamed MagicMissle because he shoots arcane out of his fingers for fun *hint hint*

Thanks.
Kevin (my real name)

P.S. You should also name a power Magic Missile. Like in D&D

Ross Przybylski

Haha, I'd considered calling Seeker Missile "Magic Missile" at one point but I wasn't sure if it'd be a trademark issue.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/90046

"I cast...magic missile!"  into the darkness!
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

MagicMissle

I LOVE THAT VIDEO! and Magic Missle is strictly arcane, not fire. so that was a good choice :D

MagicMissle

what about changing the name to D&D20 Studios?