News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Bugs with v1.7

Started by Ross Przybylski, April 09, 2012, 07:35:56 PM MT

Ross Przybylski

Hi everyone!

I'm posting here to encourage users to report any issues you may be experiencing with the latest Hero Mages update (v1.7.0). Several users have commented that they were experiencing a few minor problems and I'd like to fix these issues in the next update. Please describe the problem in detail and any steps necessary to recreate the issue so I can determine what's happening and fix the code.

Also, I'd appreciate if you would report bugs directly on the forums vs. emailing me as this gives me a better way to keep track and helps other users as they can add their feedback on the issues as well.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Trasd

Ross,

As per your request, here are some unintentional features I reported to you via email (you can now delete the email):

• The site does not remember me between sessions.  Cookies have been enabled for the HM site.
  • When I go into the Multiplayer area, though my avatar is displayed correctly at first (color-wise), whenever I go into (almost) any of the option screens from the main multiplayer chat screen, my avatar changes back to the default color when I return to the main chat screen (it looses customization).
  • The new icons in the main multiplayer chat screen have no help!  You really need to put popup help - at the least - on the icons, or words and icons (sorry, I know this was an intentional change, but it really is confusing).
  • I spent half an hour trying to figure out why the Quick Battle and Custom Battle icons were greyed out!  I turned off my LSO manager, re-logged, did everything except reenter my code to unlock custom content (I was going to do this, but figured I would talk to you first in case you wanted me to try other things) before I tried to click on one of them and discover they are not available on the browser system.  I know the trick in programming is reusing and not duplicating code, so I would recommend a generic message stating these are currently only available on the mobile versions.

That's it - nice job.  These are fairly minor tweaks, so overall, I think you nailed it.

Stinkypinky

Thank you so much for reading my post and quickly pushing an update for the mobile version to fix the GUI issue.  There is a new problem however.  Me and my wife can no longer play together cross platform.  The 1.7.1 update you released was mobile only.  Now when we try to play a multiplayer game together, our version's don't match.  Browser version is 1.7 and mobile is 1.7.1.

Ross Przybylski

Phew...thanks for that info Stinkypinky! I had a mini-freakout thinking that iOS/Amazon users weren't going to be cross-platform compatible, but it looks like this bug is isolated to the Android Gold version only. For some reason, I mistakedly changed the min version compatible to v1.7.1 instead of keeping that at v1.7.0. All of the other versions, including Android Silver, seem OK. This means, for the time being, you can play vs. your wife using the (free) Silver version.

Also, WorldChamp was able to give me the recreation steps for the "User join game error". Essentially, if the game host is changing game options and a new user joins the room, the entire screen disappears and all you can see is the background screen.

Thanks for these reports guys- I will try and have these bugs fixed ASAP and update the new version.

Ross Przybylski

FYI about version compatability in general:

While I can make immediate updates to my website, I have little control over when Android updates will take place (and even less when new iOS versions will be posted). This is why I implemented a new version system.

In the past, Hero Mages required that client versions match exactly. In the new version, I look at two properties - your actual version and your min compatible version. As long as these two numbers are within compatible range, you can play games together. This way, as long as the versions don't introduce game-balance differences, people using older versions can still play with others while they're waiting for their device-specific version to get the update push in the marketplace.

Our current problem with Android Gold and web users is that I made the mistake of updating the min version number when I should have left it at v1.7.0.

Ross Przybylski

v1.7.2 is out! I've fixed the cross-platform compatability issue and the problem with game hosts' screens going blank when new users enter the room.

Trasd- when you say the "site" does not remember you- are you referring to the game itself (multiplayer login) or just the forums part?

Has anyone else experienced the avatar color changing unexpectedly? I have not been able to recreate this issue on my end.

Stinkypinky

Thanks for the quick fix and response Ross.  I grabbed the 1.7.2 android update last night.  Me and the wife are back to playing! :).  I'll be sure to report back with any problems with the game so you have the needed feedback to fix them.  We both love the game so much.  We're surprised it's not alot more popular than what it is.  I mean even if it was exclusively web based I would think it would be very popular amongst a certain group of people.  But being able to play anywhere in the world (with internet access) on an adroid phone/tablet or the iPhone/iPad is just incredible. 

Might I suggest that you try and advertise the game to Heroquest/Boardgame fans?  Maybe make a post here - https://www.yeoldeinn.com .  I've seen people on that forum ask about an Online version of Heroquest.  Maybe you could describe that although Hero Mages does not currently replicate the magic that is Hero Mages, it is similar in nature and questing HeroQuest style could be in the possible future.

Also, I'm not sure if you are familiar with Reddit, but there is a boardgame subreddit that exists - www.reddit.com/r/boardgames .  I'm sure Hero Mages would be widely accepted there.  Here is a recent post asking about board games with Android versions - https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/rhdp7/what_boardgames_have_versions_out_on_android/ .

Good luck.  I'm sure with your determination, skills, and fan interaction, Hero Mages will only get bigger and better.

Trasd

To add to what StinkyPinky was saying, I think word-of-mouth is one of the best ways of making people aware of HM.  Once people like us are aware, they will be hooked.  I see this as my personal duty to let others know.

I am doing my best to spread the word to my DDO guild, until I write my review.  This is exactly the kind of game I was looking for when I luckily found it.  To tell you the truth, I had seen the game before when it was available just online and I was searching for a good MMO.  I was not a big MMO fan back then (I'm still not, at times, I only play this, DDO, Lord of the Rings Online, and now Pocket Legends), but when I first saw the game, I really thought it was another hack and slay, money grabbing program; I really wish I would have read further back then.  I think my first impression was because the artwork sort'a looks like those games.

Anyway, I just would like to see everyone spread the word as there really is little Ross can do on his own.  It is definitely a niche type game, so the more that hear about it, the better.

Ross, I will try to get back to you on that question you had for me above, soon.

Also, I would like to suggest a referral-reward system for new accounts, that, I think, would greatly help increase new members.

Warmage

I am coming across about a 4 - 6 second lag every time I summon a crystal golemn or my computer opponent summons one. Crystal golemn is only summon I notice that happening on.

Anyone else come across this ?

MagicMissle

I thought is was just my laggy computer... so yes I have noticed that

Ross Przybylski

Very keen observation, Warmage. What version of Flash Player are you guys running?

I've noted the following issues with unit model animations (this appears to be Flash bug with how transformations are happening):

There is a glitch in Crystal Golem Cast on frame 43 for the following two layers:
upperrightarm
upperleftarm

There is a glitch in Soul Reaver Defeat on frame 16:
Cape

The funny part is that Flash Pro will actually lock-up for about 5 minutes if I scrub to that frame. I wasn't seeing the issue when running on mobile, so I thought it was just a fluke. I'll try and get this fixed for next update.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Stinkypinky on April 12, 2012, 03:38:47 PM MT
Might I suggest that you try and advertise the game to Heroquest/Boardgame fans?  Maybe make a post here - https://www.yeoldeinn.com .  I've seen people on that forum ask about an Online version of Heroquest.  Maybe you could describe that although Hero Mages does not currently replicate the magic that is Hero Mages, it is similar in nature and questing HeroQuest style could be in the possible future.

Also, I'm not sure if you are familiar with Reddit, but there is a boardgame subreddit that exists - www.reddit.com/r/boardgames .  I'm sure Hero Mages would be widely accepted there.  Here is a recent post asking about board games with Android versions - https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/rhdp7/what_boardgames_have_versions_out_on_android/ .

These are excellent suggestions. I've tried this in the past, but the trouble is most sites frown upon newly registered users promoting games on their forums (even if it is an indie dev and for the benefit of their users) because it looks like a spam-bot soliciting. It's the equivalent of me coming up to a group of strangers saying "Hey, play Hero Mages!" vs. one of their friends saying "Dude, I just played this awesome game you have to check out called Hero Mages".

A recommendation to play Hero Mages is much more powerful coming from a senior community member with existing reputation on the site who's personally played the game and can attest to it's quality and sincerity. These sorts of word-of-mouth references have been instrumental to the growth of Hero Mages, and we'd of course love to have all your friends here playing with us!

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Trasd on April 12, 2012, 06:13:10 PM MT
To add to what StinkyPinky was saying, I think word-of-mouth is one of the best ways of making people aware of HM.  Once people like us are aware, they will be hooked.  I see this as my personal duty to let others know.

This is spot on. Your guys support means a lot to me and our community!

MagicMissle

Thanks Ross... also all of the teams show up as T1 during the game(on the side screen showing all the characters that are play) when it comes to red and orange team, its hard to tell

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: MagicMissle on April 13, 2012, 06:41:06 PM MT
Thanks Ross... also all of the teams show up as T1 during the game(on the side screen showing all the characters that are play) when it comes to red and orange team, its hard to tell

So they do... good catch! I'll get this fixed.