News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Bugs with v1.7

Started by Ross Przybylski, April 09, 2012, 07:35:56 PM MT

Warmage

My flash version fyi.

Trasd

Quote from: Ross Przybylski on April 12, 2012, 12:05:53 AM MTTrasd- when you say the "site" does not remember you- are you referring to the game itself (multiplayer login) or just the forums part?

Has anyone else experienced the avatar color changing unexpectedly? I have not been able to recreate this issue on my end.
Ross, oh boy, where do I begin?  It seems I've fixed the Multiplayer login not remembering my information.  As I've told you before, I'm not a huge fan of Adobe products.  I'm old school as far as computers go.  I don't like anyone or anything messing with my system without my express permission, and Adobe treats computers like they are Adobe's exclusive property; they put what they want where they want without asking.

I know you make your living programming Adobe products, so I tackled the problem from that angle.  I have a utility that removes LSOs (Local Shared Objects - in short LSO's, AKA Flash-cookies - are special cookies that are placed on your computer by a Flash plug-in) whenever I exit my browser.  I changed my LSO utility to protect the LSOs from the Hero Mages WEB site.  This fixed the Multiplayer login problem (so far anyway, but I'm almost positive this took care of it).

As far as my Avatar changing from my custom blue to the default red, I have not been able to figure this one out.  So, I have to ask you, how and where do you store this custom information (weird that it remembers the avatar but not the custom color)?  I think we will have to work on this together.

Now, back to Adobe and this time, it's Flash settings; what most people don't realize is that Flash can use YOUR bandwidth for other people; Peer-to-Peer bandwidth sharing.  If any of you want to change your Adobe Flash settings, including denying P2P bandwidth sharing, go here (https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html) and review all Flash's settings - you'll be surprised what they use as defaults!  Protect yourself and know what is going on with your computer.  Just about now I bet, many of you are realizing your computer is not as secure as you thought it was - is it?

This may have nothing to do with my Avatar, but I also block all trackers by default.  Again, if any of you think you are secure browsing the WEB because you browse anonymously, check out trackers!  Basically trackers collect information about you and your browsing habits.  Be afraid, be very afraid (<--EDITED - this was meant as a joke).  You can read about them here in the Wall Street Journal: https://blogs.wsj.com/wtk/.

I hope some of you not only find this post an eye-opener, but I also hope it helps others who may be having similar problems.

Ross Przybylski

Trasd, you are correct- Hero Mages uses local shared object to store your multiplayer login information and game settings. If you were nuking it with utility, that would definately result in the behavior you described.

As for the avatar, I came up with a though about what might be happening here, since you are saying that it changes to red when you go into a game room.

The color of your user avatar and the color you are represented with within the game itself are distinct. By default, when you start a game as a new host, your unit color will be the first color in the list (red). Try the following: Once you've entered the game room, click on the button that says "Users" and see if your avatar appears blue like you set it within your account settings. Your in-game avatar matches your forum avatar, and it looks like you have the blue rogue.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Trasd

WOOT!

Yes Ross, the avatar under the Users heading is blue, like it should be.  But, why does it think I am starting a game because I went into another screen?  Oh well....  not that big of a deal as it is using my custom avatar as it should.

BTW Ross, I will be flashing a new ROM on my Nook (the newest CM7 release candidate; I'm tired of certain bugs with the version I am currently using), this will change it's ID information, it will look like a different machine.  This won't affect me on this site will it?  I know there is one app I paid for where the guy lives in a country where it is illegal for him to charge money in Market.  Because of this, he had to setup a donate system, so I have to let him know when I flash a new ROM so his server recognizes me.  I hope this made sense!

Ross Przybylski

Trasd,

I think you should be fine. Your multiplayer content is safe for sure, and I believe the app purchase data is tied to your Google Account so you should be able to redownload just fine. Hero Mages will also be available in the Nook marketplace once it's review has been approved.

Trasd

Ross, yes, Market purchases are attached to Google accounts, you are correct there; apps can be installed on any machine that uses that account.  I guess what I was asking is if you used device IDs for anything, but the point is moot.  I was not thinking clearly, flashing a newer version of the same OS does not change this information.

Also, by the sound of your posts, I get the impression you believe my machine is still a Nook or at least retains some Nook functionality, it is not and does not.  I just call it that for lack of a better term - at home I call it my Noodle (LOL, I won't go any further here with that).  Think of what I did as comparable to changing the OS on a PC from Windows to Linux.  Same hardware, but totally different abilities.  That is basically what I did; this is no longer a Barnes and Noble Nook Color really, but a generic tablet without all the bells and whistles; GPS, 4 or 3G, etc.  I cannot run B&N software.  I also call it a poor man's tablet.  There is a way to simply root a Nook Color so it is essentially a B&N reader still, but with the capability of running Android apps.  I did it this way at first, but that system has too many problems.

IF you did think I could run Nook stuff, I hope this straightened you out.  My intention was not to insult your intelligence, so I hope I didn't.

diesbudt

First, idk what was said previously, but some comments on the iphone version of the app, is that there is no link to purchase the extra units. So it confuses some people why they are greyed out. (as some don't realize they are extra purchasable units)

Secondly, a bug Trasd (I think) was saying is located in this picture [attachment] I took (yes I bought the iphone version, though I normally use website)

As you can see, my avatar (has always been the purple wizard since I beat Baker that one time) and yet it shows I have a yellow wizard up in the top left of the picture.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: diesbudt on April 15, 2012, 06:25:35 AM MT
First, idk what was said previously, but some comments on the iphone version of the app, is that there is no link to purchase the extra units. So it confuses some people why they are greyed out. (as some don't realize they are extra purchasable units)

Secondly, a bug Trasd (I think) was saying is located in this picture [attachment] I took (yes I bought the iphone version, though I normally use website)

As you can see, my avatar (has always been the purple wizard since I beat Baker that one time) and yet it shows I have a yellow wizard up in the top left of the picture.

Thanks for this info dies! First, the links to purchase expansion content are intentionally removed for the iOS version. This is because I can't use my existing, custom billing system- I need to use App Store In-App billing, which I haven't had time to program yet. Rather than delay the release of the game further, I removed these features to comply with App Store policies. I hope to have an iOS supported In-App billing solution implemented in the next couple weeks, with the Player-Rewards system to follow after.

The avatar deal is clearly a bug- thank you for illustrating. It's interesting that it shows purple correct in the user pane but orange in the main summary (must be off by 1 as this is the next color in the array).

Will fix, thanks!

Ross Przybylski

Looks like the avatar bug is as follows:

If you change avatar while logged in, the color will default to orange in that upper left pannel of the chat lobby. If you log out/log back in, the color will be correct.

The fix needs to ensure that when you update color, it matches the color specified immediately (without needing to log out/log in).

Trasd

Quote from: Ross Przybylski on April 15, 2012, 01:39:36 PM MT
Looks like the avatar bug is as follows:

If you change avatar while logged in, the color will default to orange in that upper left pannel of the chat lobby. If you log out/log back in, the color will be correct.

The fix needs to ensure that when you update color, it matches the color specified immediately (without needing to log out/log in).
So really Ross, this particular bug has nothing to do with what I originally reported as an avatar bug, right?  Or does it?

Doesn't matter as far as functionality with me because you are fixing it anyway, I was just wondering for completeness; I like closure.

pjft

Hi,

Newcomer here, so bear with me. I'm playing 1.72 on Android, and I noticed an option statin "Show Team Markers", but can't understand what it does.

On the changelog I read "Improvement: Improved the visual appearance of team markers by making them gradiented squares that rest underneath the units vs. the subtle/hard to see reticle indicator.", so I wanted to ask if there was an option that somehow allowed these supposed team markers to be always present in the board, even in single player mode, all the time, since sometimes it's hard to keep track of which characters you control in the board, and which belong to which team.

I tried a single-player match with 2 and 3 teams, and watching an online match, and nothing showed up that allowed me to identify which character belongs to each team, unless I would click on them. :|

If I'm missing something really obvious, please let me know :)

Cheers,

Paulo (coming from Touch Arcade)

--------
EDIT:

Actually, after playing a bit more, I finally got it. It only shows up on Team matches - and I was playing Free for All.

I guess I kind of expected those markers to represent the colors of the player controlling them - i.e. in Free for All you'd have each player with each color.

Now I don't really know if it makes sense anymore, since it might get confusing... I was just looking for an easy way to spot my characters and the opponent's ones. Anyone care to share their thoughts - or do you usually have no problem keeping track of them?

Cheers,

Paulo

diesbudt

You get used to it. I never have had a problem myself, I cant speak for others though

There is 8 colors that you can use to represent your units. No color can be used twice a match, so all X color units are yours.

(red, orange, yellow, green, blue, cyan/turquoise, purple, pink?)

All team members of the same team have a color square underneath them. (All red squares = same team, etc)

pjft

Oh, I see. I guess that in the mobile screen the colors in the character outfits, from the top, aren't really that noticeable - but now that you pointed it out, I can vaguely distinguish them :)

Thanks!

Looking forward to learning the basics so that then I can play with some of you online!

Ross Przybylski

The colors can be a little hard to notice on mobile screen; I'm planning to up the quality/resolution in a future update and see if this helps. Team colorization was a tricky design problem. On the one hand, you need to know which units are yours. On the other, good to see which units are allied with one and other on the same team. Maybe it would help to have an option to specifically identify your own units (with a selection reticle or something)?

Trasd

Hey pjft - newb here too;

When I come into a new game, the first thing I do is select a card - that automatically focuses the green selector on my Mage, then I know where my team is located.

After playing a lot (mostly solo - against the AI), I can usually tell now.  I wish I would have done what you did and jumped right into multiplayer.  Now I have as much to unlearn as I have to learn.  I thought it would be foolish (plus I have/had time restraints) to play against others without knowing what I was doing (bad MMO experience, I guess), now I know that was a mistake,

Thinks die!  Now I know what to practice.