News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Android Speed Tip

Started by Trasd, April 13, 2012, 12:56:20 AM MT

Trasd

Is it my imagination or did there used to be a Hints and Tips topic on this site?

Anywho, when Ross first integrated Adobe Air (or was it Flash), my speed increased about 10 to 20% (average 7 fps) and I was very happy.  Most of the major lags were gone (or minimal) and the game was much more responsive.  Since my system barely ran the game in the first place, it was like a new game for me (until I can afford a real tablet, I am using a B&N Nook Color rooted with CM7).

I was wondering if I could squeeze a little more speed out of my system for HM, so I tried moving the app to internal memory.  The results are impressive!  I've gained another 20 to 30% fps increase, which is amazing.  Basically from when I first loaded the game, the fps has increased a total average of about 15 fps.  Most of the time I am now running between 30 and 41 fps (I thought there was a 40 fps cap).  It didn't take that much internal memory, either.  Even if it did, the trade off would be worth it.

I hope this helps someone increase their speed.  If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.  If I discover any problems related to this tweak, I will post it here.

For completeness,  I think I should mention some of the system wide tweaks I use:

• I run AutoKiller set to agressive
  • I use Autorun Manager as well and disable most unused startups
  • I overclock the processor to 1.2GHz

These are the main ones, anyway.  Have fun...

Ross Przybylski

This is very interesting tip. I didn't realize the app would run so much better on internal memory.

I actually just submitted my app to Barnes & Noble for the Nook Color and it was rejected because it preferred external SD storage (I resubmitted with the fix so it should hopefully get accepted in a day or two). The game was originally designed to store on the internal storage, but I changed it to prefer external storage after a user requested this.

Anyone else, please let me know if Trasd's idea results in speed boost and I will change the setting back to "auto" so it installs to the best location (while keeping the option to move to SD card).
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Trasd

Ross, this tweak worked great for me and I believe it will work for most Android users, but it does depend on the architecture of the system.

Many hardware manufacturers simply use one large memory space and divide it up into different sections (Galaxy Tab 10.1 for example) and use a "fake" SD card.  This tweak will not work for systems like those.  But, these systems are usually so fast anyway, they won't need that extra speed boost.

Sorry, should have included this disclaimer with my original post!