News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Multiplayer Suggestions

Started by Trasd, April 18, 2012, 03:13:27 AM MT

Trasd

Well, I finally took the multiplayer plunge and naturally got my butt kicked - thanks die!  No, but really die, thanks for taking the time to show me the ropes.

While playing, I did notice a few items I would like to see added or changed:

• I am a slow reader (not so slow I can't read a message, though - keep reading) and also have a problem noticing chat, it is the same for all the games I play. Would there be a way to add an optional "ding" when someone enters a message?  Also, since I am a slow reader and don't notice the messages for a little while, could you make the messages stay up a little longer?
  • Display a game's spectators
  • Show die roll results somewhere on the screen as text (I am rerequesting this suggestions and saw that someone else requested it too)
  • Make the chat language filter optional.
  • More to come (when I'm awake)

Ross Przybylski

There's a few existing interface functions that may help with some of these items:

1) You can view any chat messages that have been removed from the overlay by using the game log (Book icon) and pressing the "Chat" tab.

2) You can view all spectators/users in the room by pressing the users button (icon that looks like a cluster of people). This panel also allows the game host to boot/ban routy spectators. You can also view player/spectator game stats.

The optional "ding" is a really good idea- this could be added to settings menu. And I'll see what I can do about dice. The language filter is handled server-side, and I don't have plans to remove this as many kids play. Surprising how many requests I get to remove it tho...
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Ross Przybylski

Oh, and congrats on your first game, btw! Don't take it as a knock against your skill if diesbudt beats you. For the record, he defeated ME the very first game he ever played.

Trasd

Ross,

Thanks, those tips should help.

As far as the language filter, your call - the request is in, that's all I can do...

Don't worry, I didn't take it hard that die beat me - I expected it, but I did learn where I need to work on my game (it's an accomplishment for someone to make me feel stupid LOL).  If the game was easy (as far as strategy), I wouldn't like near as much.  I've mastered too many strategy games too quickly and they cease being fun.  Think about it, three characters versus at least one opponent with the same type of team wouldn't keep intelligent people interested long unless it was a mental challenge and took a long time to master.

One of my pet peeves is hating redundancy - it aggravates the &%#$ (<-- get it?) out of me.  If I found HM in any way redundant, I never would have bought the Android version.

No matter how bad die bad-mouths the game, I like it (JJ - LOL)!

T

diesbudt

I have always enjoyed the game because any combo of units can be good, and after learning the ins and outs of all of them, I usually just choose random units now, unless I specifically have a reason for choosing my team.

I even made a plethora of unit ideas even, some unbalanced, but there was biasesness there. But most were balanced imo, or I rebalanced them.

Wizard is still my favorite unit, using so many cards in 1 turn, and ending the turn with still half a hand left.

The best part (and sometime annoying part) is when you plan out a perfect plan, and the dice decide they are not going to cooperate. Like against Trasd there, one game just for fun I got a fighter mage to 9 Strength, and of course he did 0 damage on his paladin.

Wasnt game breaking (as I always have Plan B for if the dice do mess up on me) but still, its just like ugh >.<

Trasd

I'm still trying to figure out plan A!

No matter what I did tonight, though, just like doe's one roll, I couldn't hit anything for three games straight.  I quit playing because of that, bummer too as I was really looking forward to practicing.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Trasd on April 19, 2012, 02:03:24 AM MT
I'm still trying to figure out plan A!

No matter what I did tonight, though, just like doe's one roll, I couldn't hit anything for three games straight.  I quit playing because of that, bummer too as I was really looking forward to practicing.

Do you play with the Bard at all? She's an instant remedy for "poor roll" nights.

Trasd

Not yet Ross, I'm still trying to get the basics down.  I did real good at first, but now it seems I can't get my head out and win.  But, this is fine - it's the only way to keep me interested.  Like I said in another post, if I would have mastered the game quickly, I would not have spent the money on it.

I have a closet full of computer games that were purchased, installed, mastered quickly, then shelved because they became rote.  The longer it takes me to learn HM, the better.

Sometimes I get a hold of something I can't wrap my head around (maybe it's age?): i.e. I know and taught myself C, C++, and Assembly - but I can't seem to wrap my head around Java (or course I learned all these 20 years ago)!  Go figure.  I don't think this is the case with HM, I just think my brain is tired because I've been so busy.

Trasd

Die!  I am so sorry, I completely blew it last night.  I was bushed and passed out on the sofa about 8:00 - tough weekend.  By the time I woke up, it was after 10.

Let's try to pick it back up next Monday at the same time, 8:30?

Again, sorry.

diesbudt

It happens I figured something came up.

Trasd