Whu Thinks Ranking Sistem Nedds To be Changed?

Started by Gorstak, April 26, 2012, 08:24:36 PM MT

Gorstak

veterans are picing on new ppl to get point or two,thats yust silly,something must be changed.

Zelanius Forcys

Gorstak,

How about playing unranked? I generally play unranked games (sorry Ross, I know you like to encourage ranked games). The loss will contribute to your unranked lost games, but it does not affect your ranking at all. This way, you can practise and train in multiplayer without fear of losing ranking.

Zel

Gorstak

man your comment is not related to this topic,pls read it once again sow u understand what it is about.

Ross Przybylski

Unranked is definitely always there for when you want to goof around and experiment without fear of affecting stats. Be aware that unit stats (kills, deaths, etc.) and other player stats are NOT tracked during unranked games. Unranked games essentially are "off the record" entirely.

I do like to encourage ranked games because they only effectively represent skill level after MANY ranked games are played. The few points won/lost here and there and players refusing to play ranked (hoarding points) really only hurts the skill-based leaderboard system.

To Gorstak's points- nothing wrong with verteran's playing noobs. The higher your ranking, the less points you stand to gain from lower ranked players and the more you stand to lose- that's how ELO works. Check out info here: https://heromages.com/gameInfo/howToPlay/ratingSystem.html

I think one thing that would definitely help, however, is the inclusion of a separate rating track for player-experience. This would be something that only goes UP in response to playing ranked games (similar to your "Level" in other online games) and could include special rewards like ranked titles "Sergeant, Colonel, General, etc.". I imagine having these points contribute to player-rewards as well to buy unit customizations and such in future content update.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Gorstak

Or maybi better would beif ranking would be reseted every month and top 1 or 3 would go in hall of fame?

diesbudt

Why would you need to reset the stats gors? If you don't play a ranked game every 2 weeks, your name isn't on the board. Which is why I play unranked. No one understands how annoying it got being on top that list so long  everyone would keep trying to trick me into foolish games or beg to keep playing me hoping to get lucky and get a more points than they loss (new people, it takes close to 18 wins to offset 1 loss. Which with luck involved. . .)

I like rosses idea, though needs to be tweaked though. How? Idk yet haven't thought into it much yet.

And we don't need a hall of fame, leader board kinda already takes care of that.

Warmage

Just a few thoughts.

I have no problem with ranking system as is.

But after reading the post about reseting if every month and pondering, i do see some positive effects.

Right now hardly anyone plays ranked games, if you started fresh each month people would play more ranked games while trying to rank up. It would also get the people who just play enough games to keep rank to play more often in ranked games.

Then maybe snapshop the rankings at end of month and keep them in a post for posterity sake.

I bet if you reset it you would see more people playing in ranked games and have a busier lobby, it also would give people who might feel discouraged with low ranking a fresh start. Make things a little more lively on the ranked game front.

diesbudt

Actually it wouldn't help warmage. I have seen a very busy lobby last week or so and most of them are playing ranked. So that change wouldn't change how popular it is. Now, could it be interesting to reset rating every so often to see what happens? Yes. But to what end?

Also to remove rating would require a stats reset which I'd be against as I like looking at ind. unit stats, valor and dice rolled. Having a 225W 42L with a rating of 1000 would look weird (assuming you don't reset all stats just eating)

And resetting rating is a issue with ELO rankings. Basically it would be saying all previous games didn't matter. And in chess ELO rating is life long.

Also rating... Is very misleading. 1. Luck has involvement, so really any one can win if dice decide. 2. FFA and team - FFA can gang up on a "better" player knocking him out first. So rating in FFA means something very diff. Than duels. And teams? A great player can walk a new person through on what to do almost making it essentially him playing both players

Only real solution would be to run a tournament time to time and have the winners recognized. However trying to organize that when now 90 percent of players use tablet/phone so they don't visit/know of the forums is impossible.

I think for now everything is fine the e
Way it is.

Ross Przybylski

I mentioned the idea of the "positive earnings" leaderboard as this would encourage more active participation (your number is ALWAYS going up).

Many players confuse the ranking system with "stealing points" and so forth, but the system is not about getting lucky and taking points, its about creating a statistical likliness of your victory odds against certain players so that you can join matches with other players (of similar rank) and engage in intense battles (vs. a steamroll victory on either side). Granted, we haven't hit that critical mass of players for this system to truly shine yet, but I predict it will be instrumental when I complete async gameplay.

Async will pit players in random matchups using an agorithm to match players of similar skill level when possible. In otherwords, the system will try to pit noobs vs. noobs, vets vs. vets, pros vs pros, etc. This is what the skill system is for.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Archie

I like the current rating system and I think it works AND I think the Positive Experience idea is also good. It could also encourage a greater community for example if you could be given a +1 or even a -1 (annonymously of course) people could reward those folks who are good sports and play well.

I'm new to the game and only played maybe half a dozen people so far but there are those I would have liked to praised and those who I feel differently about. If I could annonymously reward the good guys I'd do it.

To avoid the system being spammed people could have a limit of only being able to praise the same person once per day and equally only giving the same person one minus per day.

(Think facebook like or google+)

Peoples rating - why not use the ingame terminology and call it a VALOR RATING?