News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Tapatalk support?

Started by VanHlebar, May 18, 2012, 03:32:26 AM MT

VanHlebar

Just found your game and so far I love it. Any chance you would consider adding Tapatalk support to your forums to make it easier to use on phones and tablets?

Eric

Ross Przybylski

Eric,

Thanks, glad you enjoy it! I had never heard of Tapatalk before- thanks for telling me about it! I've registered an account on their site- waiting for activation to see if I can get our forum enabled with it.

~Ross
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

VanHlebar

Glad I could help out! I pretty much only visit forums these days on my phone or my Kindle as it is the only time I have the down time to visit. Nice to see a developer that clearly realizes that the players are his customers and you clearly have a great concept of customer support!

I will be purchasing the game at this point even if I don't play much. I am a developer myself as a hobby and support good developers one thing we all should do!

Thanks,
-Eric

Trasd

As long as members and potential members are not harassed by Taptalk when we come to check the forums!  There is nothing I hate more than unsolicited sales tactics when I am just minding my own business.

I think it cheapens a site when I log on and I am immediately asked to purchase an app - in a popup-dialog box no less.

Taptalk, from what I've seen, is not free (unless I missed something).  I hope there is an option to turn off spamming, otherwise members will be harassed, especially if they are like me and keep history, cookies, cache, etc. cleaned.

Ross, as you may recall, I go through a lot of trouble to keep sales spam away from myself, even so far as blocking LSOs and having to log onto this site every time I visit it from my PC (the exceptions don't seem to make a difference, except for in-game settings).

Sorry VanHlebar, I am not trying to cause trouble, I just feel quite strong about this particular subject.  Like I said above, as long as I (and others) aren't spammed when we long on.  Taptalk may very well have this option for Ross to turn off and I hope it does if Ross implements it.  Without sounding overly dramatic, I've quit visiting some sites specifically because of Taptalk popup sales boxes when I log on to that site.

VanHlebar

I am not sure what sales spam you may be talking about but I have never seen it. Not saying it doesn't happen just I have never seen it. I do use the paid for application but even when using the desktop sites for which I also read from Tapatalk I have never once been bugged by Tapatalk. 8 would think if there issues then a major site like XDA would not use the software.

It was just a suggestion and if Ross decides to not pursue it that is fine. At this point I don't think it has been activated as I can't find it in the app.

Trasd

VanHlebar, I am in no way trying to discourage you from making suggestions or saying Taptalk is a bad idea, I'm just pointing out possible side-effects for people that haven't purchased the app (and how much I hate "spam").

Sorry, maybe I should explain what I am talking about in more detail.

If Taptalk is used at a site (I'm not sure if User Agent needs to be set to Android or not) and you don't own the app, the first time you visit that site you will get a pop-up dialog box telling you that that particular site uses Taptalk to enhance your browsing experience.  You MUST select one of two buttons at this point; dismiss the dialog box, or go to Market (or whatever Google is calling it these days) to purchase the app.  It is as good as a modal dialog box.

This should only show up once, in most cases.  But if you don't accept cookies or you keep your system clean, then you will get the popup box every time you log onto that site, thus it becomes spam.

Mind you, I have no problems what so ever with Taptalk or any of the other browser enhancers (I use the XDA forum app myself), I just have a problem with how they implement it.  Hopefully, they give the WEB site programmer the option to disable their popup box.

XDA is a wonderful resource, but looking out for their users is not their number one priority, IMHO.

Ross Przybylski

I don't think Tapatalk would create any solicitation problems. It would be great to open up another avenue of communication for those like Van that already use the app on their mobile devices.

Unfortunately, my current SMF version is not supported by Tapatalk. I would need to update to do so. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but I have several custom templates that I wrote specifically to accomodate the game integration. I'd need to spend some time doing the update manually (and very carefully) so as not to break anything. I'll commit to doing this, but please realize we may not see this feature for awhile as I'm currently tied up writing the new game updates.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

VanHlebar

Trasd - I completely forgot about the pop up that comes if you are on a mobile device and don't have Tapatalk installed. I have only seen it once then it goes away but I can see what you mean. I guesd we just differ in that I don't consider that to be a selling tactic and it doesn't bother me very much, but that is me and I can see what you are saying.

No hurry Ross - I understand you have other areas that you need to focus on first. :-)

-Eric

Trasd

Hopefully, by the time Ross is ready to implement it, there will be another solution to the popup.  Maybe by then someone will have written a per cookie basis acceptance/reject cookie app.  Possibly there is one already, I just haven't found it.