News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Give greater health to the mages

Started by Archie, June 20, 2012, 07:59:58 AM MT

Archie

Now I recognise that any such alteration radically alters the balance / length / feel of the game so taking that into account I would imagine this be most palatable as a setting option prior to individual games.

My idea is that mages start with 8/8 health points rather than their current 6/6.

Why you ask?

Because it would give them longevity and removes the likelihood of a one kill assassination attempt on a fresh mage.

But you argue... "One hit assassinations are fun"

Yes I reply but...only when you are the one pulling the trigger - when you are playing and lose your mage on round one (two or three etc) due to a lucky solo attack from say a crazed barbarian the game is less fun to play.

In a large multiplayer game it can, if I am being totally honest, a little dull when you don't have a mage.

Giving them a couple of extra health points would make them even more a focus for the game. It would make the games longer so I don't think it's a change that should be global but rather optional.

But you argue..."One hit ass..." Let me interupt you...

you can still try a 'one hit kill' but it will be that much more unlikely, take more than just a single attacker and might have to wait until the mage has been a little scratched up first. In some ways it makes it even more awesome an achievement whilst at the moment it is, I feel, a little too easy. (especially in larger games)

diesbudt

Well, from my experience, except in multiplayer games I have never been on the receiving end of this. (and in free for all if you get ganged up on that's part of it. Aka making alliances.)

What I see when it normally works is the person on the receiving end made either a fatal error or was using a weak strategy.

And with healing spells and mages able to sprint and cast spells on same turn giving them any more hp or def. will make them too defensive. Remember as in chess the queen is so powerful, but can easily be killed easily if not used/played correctly. Add in augmentation spells and the fighter Mage, trying to kill a 16 def 10 hp unit is too much.

Archie

My standard FFA match is me vs three computer players and I see this not infrequently -last night being the most recent time. Summoner mage cut down in her prime.

MagicMissle

I agree with Archie, naturally. Mages NEED more HP to 1) Not be cheap shotted before their first turn and 2) So it makes them CLEARLY more powerful than the other characters