It didn't work but it sure was flashy...diesbudt was surprised

Started by Archie, June 30, 2012, 09:37:15 AM MT

Archie

Okay so round one, game one against diesbudt in his summer contest...

I get to go first and I have teleport, shield x2, lash and a fighter mage with a bard (and paladin)

Deciding that playing defensive would be boring I go for it -

give the +4 buff to the mage, teleport and attack, lash and shield myself - doing...drum roll please...5 points of damage to the sorceross!!!

It was spectacular, bold, brash...and didn't work as he had the +5 card and healed up completely the next round! And despite the shield, sleep and a few other tricks I couldn't bring him far enough down.

After that my people lost the ability to hit (two rounds without landing a blow) and generally it went to pieces. But it started really well :)

The next game I played better but diesbudt luckly had the right card at the right time every bleeping time!!!

It was fun, I played less well than I was able and he deserved to win...next time...next time :)

What I did learn was custom maps are a witch and that the terrain is far, far more important than I had previously thought. I think you forget when you play on the same maps all the time just how big a difference a new layout makes.

Trasd

I've been playing the same map since I started, figured I take out one variable, then I just got used to it.  This has been especially true since I've even less time to play lately.  I guess that is a bad habit.  Maybe I should take a leaf out of Die's book and go random as far as the map?

diesbudt

I wasn't surprised. I expect it all the time. It used to be much worse. Some cards have been weakened or higher cost since then.

People used to be able to teleport and disentigrate with an attack. That used to be crazy powerful. But since then that has changed for the most part.

Now unless one prepares a few turns and tries to nickle and dime a mage for a damage or 2 before teleporting, the odds of succeeding with a teleport assault is slim against a full hp mage.

Disentigrate, demonic lash, seeker missile, all used to hit harder. Mana surge used to give 2 mana.

Archie

The most important thing was it was a fun couple of games so thanks!