News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Butt kicked

Started by Archie, August 04, 2012, 10:29:33 PM MT

Archie

So I was at 1169 points oj the leader board and feeling cocky about working up to challenge WorldChamp for second place....and now about three weeks later I am at 1132 and slipped from third to fifth!

I can't even best the PC right now! Oh well ho hum...and then I see Gorstak has moved to second place and lost what fifty points in a day? Is my bad play catching or is it the time of year!

Oh and just to give credit where it is due eight of my recent losses have been to my kids! I trained them too well!

And to add further embarressment I have done some custom maps and so far lost ever ranked game I have played on them!

Off to practice some more....because clearly I need it.

diesbudt

Thats how the system works. Though I wouldnt trust the points as the only indicator of someones level.

I dont even remember mine ive been off the board 2 years (1346? maybe?)

Look at it this way, Gorstak finally beat me 2 months back. Sure may have taken 1+ years and 50+ attempts, but he did it. Points cant tell you the outcome.

And using the Elo chess ranking system, albeit good, has its flaws. Because chess is 100% skill, no luck involved. Just good moves and bad moves. This game involves luck. The best strategy in the world can lose with dice misbehaving, while a new person just clicking buttons can win. (though highly unlikely, a chance still exists)

I would like ross to stengthen the AI. Its so much fun sprinting my team to the computers group, summon 2 skeletons and watch him waste energy and attacks on the skeletons first. Goofy AI.

Ross Przybylski

Excellent battle report! I'm moving this to the "Battle Report" board to join other glorious tales.

The ELO system is accurate over large spans of time with many different players. Given enough time, even the random element is compensated for. Also note that each gameplay category has its own rating. Your overall rating is the average of Duels, Team Games, and FFA. It is very difficult to achieve a high overall rating without playing many game types and (potentially) risking losses in FFA. Depending on the skill level of your opponents, placing 2nd or 1st in a large FFA game can significantly raise your rating.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

It isn't fully compensated for. But your right in that it mostly gets evened out over time.

However as a sidenote unless I play AI I haven't played a real FFA in some time. My game options are: duel, team, and "gang up on diesbudt until he's dead then FFA"

Archie

Well Dies it's all about taking down the biggest threat first!

And yes for me the true judge of a players quality is their win/loss ratio on solo matches - your's is close to 12:1 which is truly terrifying - World Champ and Rowena come in at 5:1 and Gorstak and myself are 3:1 (I used to be 4:1 sob).

That way of measuring seems more accurate as I've conceeded before that Rowena is a better player than me. (And I'm not even talking about the last match which was just down hill from the four points ice shards attack on my poor minataur...and then when her sorceress teleported and attacked my FM single handed and won grown men cried I can tell you)

Ahem anyway I wasn't talking about that I was thinking more about just generally I knew she was better even though over all she was lower ranked than I.

I'm not complaining just sharing how I guestimate a player's ability outside of direct combat.

What is funny is that apparantly I've played 3 team games and won them all but I don't remember two of them!