News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

New mage idea

Started by VanHlebar, September 08, 2012, 08:08:23 PM MT

VanHlebar

Hi Ross,

Have you ever thought about creating a new Mage type like a Necromancer? I haven't thought this one completely out for game balance but something like giving them the ability to resurrect dead guards and creatures? It would be awesome to be able to resurrect an opponents dead guards and use them against them. :-)

Clearly the raised creatures wouldn't be able to have all the HP of a live one or even the abilities. I was thinking something like the Necromancer being similar to Summoner and having mass amounts of units to fight with but they all would probably be low HP creatures and the ability would have to cost a lot to use.

Then maybe you could give a different ability to the Paladin to permanently lay these undead creatures down so they couldn't be raised again.

Anyways just a thought i had last night while playing a game.

-Eric

MagicMissle

I had also thought of something similar, but the Necromancer and Summoner would be a little two close in game play. I was thinking that the Recovery-School-Based Mage would have some sort of ultra Revive thing. Just my thoughts on it.

-Kevin

Ross Przybylski

The Summoner character was originally called the Necromancer. She also used to have a magical attack that drained life as well as some other crazy powers. I'd never implemented a raise enemy dead spell, mainly because of the complexity in determining a fair way to make it work. In an early version of the game, there was a psychic spell that took possession of an enemy unit and allowed you to attack with that unit. This was ridiculously over powered, particularly when the possessed unit was juiced up with enchantments.

More fun facts:
* The original draft of the game had 48 different hero classes, each with their own spell decks
* The game was originally a cooperative/competitive dungeon crawl with the goal of fighting through monsters to secure treasure
* After Hero Mages officially launched in 2009, I drafted plans for two expansion mages, the Warlock and the Priestess, as well as some guardians to accompany them. I'll have to dig up the notes on them for those curious.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

MagicMissle

I would like a personal email of these notes please. (bubblesmacghee@yahoo.com) The Warlock is intriguing, the Priestess I am dying for, but I just had another brilliant mage idea. A Druid. Except the FM and Co., the natural side of magic is ignored. We need a basis for how nature will come into play. This could also create a new summon, for them summoner lovers, a Tree-type creature. I think some of the spells should be rearranged and that we need at least 1 more spell card type.

We currently have Augmentation, Destruction, Manipulation, Recovery, and Summoning. I think we need to include Nature and maybe one other (any ideas?) That's all for now

-Kevin