The Math Behind The "Sammi is Overpowered" Debate:

Started by IveGotACaseOfTheMage, September 09, 2012, 10:26:46 PM MT

IveGotACaseOfTheMage

I've read some of the post about the Sammi being OP.  I use the Sammi the bulk of my games along with the psion to move squishy's in the sammi's range for one turn kills.  My personal opinion is the sammi has a superior advantage against most of the other classes.  I wanted to find out just how much this is true so I downloaded a dice odds analysis software called "Small Roller".  Yes I am aware there are some CC's you can use to paralyze the sammi and then kill him, but you can do the same to the other guaurdians so I see little evidence he isn't a bit overpowered.  As much as I dont want to see him nerfed because i love using him, here are the stats.  Each % shows his odds of inflicting 3 hit points damage (nearly half the life of most characters)  Not to mention his Evis which will make it a total of 4 damage.

Regular Sammi Attack         
12   69.75%      Barb, Wizard, Summoner   
13   64%      Sorceress, rogue, psionist, & Minotaur   
14   57.75%      Fighter Mage, Bard,   
15   51%      Samurai   
16   43.75%      Paladin, Soul Reaver   
17   36%      Warrior   

As you can see if the Sammi attacks anyone but the warrior, pally, or soul reaver, he is making a positive equity play which will likely take 4 HP of life leaving them crippled.  It gets even worse for your opponent if you imbue him with a basic Archon's Might +1 strength spell.  See directly below:

Sammi Attack imbued with Archon's Might +1 strengh spell

12   83.36%   Barb, Wizard, Summoner      
13   78.40%   Sorceress, rogue, psionist, & Minotaur      
14   72.54%   Fighter Mage, Bard,      
15   65.70%   Samurai      
16   57.81%   Paladin, Soul Reaver      
17   48.80%   Warrior      

With a basic Archon's Might spell only your Warrior is safe, and it's nearly a coin flip.  Anyone 14 defense or below is at great risk of losing 4 HP.

My advice towards slightly nerfing the sammi is using a -1 modifier on all of his dice rolls.  See the charts below for the odds if you used a -1 modifier:

If all Sammi dice rolls get -1 modifiers         
12   64%      Barb, Wizard, Summoner   
13   57.75%      Sorceress, rogue, psionist, & Minotaur   
14   51%      Fighter Mage, Bard,   
15   43.75%      Samurai   
16   36%      Paladin, Soul Reaver   
17   27.75%      Warrior   

Sammi Attack imbued with Archon's Might             
If all Sammi dice rolls get -1 modifiers            
12   78.4   Barb, Wizard, Summoner      
13   72.54   Sorceress, rogue, psionist, & Minotaur      
14   65.7   Fighter Mage, Bard,      
15   57.81   Samurai      
16   48.8   Paladin, Soul Reaver      
17   38.59   Warrior      

Just my two cents.......by all means dont nerf him for my win record's sake though lol

Ross Przybylski

You, my friend, would definitely be interested in checking out the Hero Mages Battle Simulator available here: https://heromages.com/forums/index.php?topic=213.0

Use the v1.5 rules for your analysis.

~Ross
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

IveGotACaseOfTheMage

That simulator is awesome Ross.  I did not know it existed.  Thanks for the link. 

Ross Przybylski

You're welcome! The simulator was created in response to fans like you hoping to fine tune the balance of each unit.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

Quote from: IveGotACaseOfTheMage on September 10, 2012, 01:53:12 PM MT
That simulator is awesome Ross.  I did not know it existed.  Thanks for the link. 

I remember using it way back, when Ross first posted it I used it often for statistics reasons. Fun thing

Secondly scary thing is? Samurai used to be stronger, and psi's mind control didn't need a roll before either. Made first - second turn Mage kills so easy.

However Sami and psi are easy to dodge if played right. A barb-bard combo can do much more damage, and outrunning a barb is tough.