Bonus squares: Grant Valor Points, Attack, Defense, or Mana bonus?

Started by rokendo, July 31, 2009, 04:53:06 PM MT

rokendo

I was thinking of doing some custom maps and realized there isn't anything that drives players to one part of the map or another.

In many strat/rpg, you have squares that grant bonuses. e.g.
Heroscape - glyphs
D&D miniatures - places of power

It would be a nice feature to add certain squares to add +2 Attack, +1 Defense, +1 Mana or +3 Valor if you control the square. 

I heistate to add defensive bonuses ( because it promotes turtling) but it could promote certain scenarios like 1 Player vs 2 player in a defend the goal scenario.

Ross Przybylski

Great call-out, Rokendo.  There are many possibilities as far as terrain goes- such as having specific runes on tiles to indicate bonuses, having different terrain types, perhaps that could grant extra defense or line of sight defense- like a jungle brush weed or something, lava tiles that could cause damage to units stationed on them, destructible wall tiles, etc.

Really, any and all of this is possible- we built the game engine to be flexible and expansive so that our community could help direct the development direction.  Our initial design lends itself to the most simple and straight-forward tactical gaming experience, but we are flexible and willing to accomodate those who appreciate more advanced features.  We love and encourage such feedback- and the more who speak out the more passionately we will dedicate ourselves to implementing these features.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Slightquills

I'm all for this feature, but at the same time anything that provides bonuses to magic scares me. If one turns out to be "stronger" then another the match might be decided by a race to the bonus tile.

diesbudt

Yea, the tile things seems a bit iffy to me. It would as Slight said be a race to the square they want, and than they might camp around it waiting for their opponent to attack (same with other player) basically it would start as a who isn't chicken to leave their tile and attack first.

Warmage

It could be Like an advanced mode, With more terrain and stuff like that.

I like how the game is very simple with some things, and I wouldnt not want it to lose that feel for new players. It might be a good idea to have 2 modes if they started adding more stuff.

I personally would like to see a few spots of destructable terrain, I think just start slow with things like that and see how it goes.

Warmage

I also like the idea of a battlefield that doesn't have something like a "power up" that completely changes how a board is played.

I like this game cause the action flows all over, If there is something specific like a drop on the board it makes it the same thing over and over.

Now to me that doesn't rule them out, just have to make sure how its implemented. I do like having terrain types, perhaps some that can be destroyed.

That's why I love this game, the options are endless.

rokendo

If there was only 1 or 2 power points, I think your view has merit. 

However by adding different terrain, the maps get more interesting. Map designers have more ability to influence and the channel the flow of the map. 

As it stands right now, map design really consists of blocking LOS and creating open/close areas of conflict.

Its still a choice of the map designer to add the terrain. Obviously, bad placement of terrain will heavily favor one side or the other.

Maybe a simple version to see the impact on play is add terrain adds +1 valor a turn you control it.    This will add additional incentive for players to be aggressive in the game's beginning.

However, control of the space does not add any overwhelming advantage except unlocking the mage's abilities a little earlier.

In the endgame, the +1 valor square is meaningless and the game will flow as normal.

Ross Przybylski

Thats a pretty good suggestion Rokendo.  Using Valor as incentive to charge into middle of map would draw players into the open (risking their lives and hence going along with the whole Valor concept).  And, you're also right- since Valor loses its strategic value after 15 points, it wouldn't result in mindless camping (assuming proper placement of the Valor tiles in an area of conflict).
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

Finjinimo

A valor square in an open area of the battle field would certainly be interesting.

I would shy away from defensive or offensive bonuses though, unless they were slight and perhaps only had a 1 turn duration. So you would have to choose when in the battle to go for it.

I do like the simplicity of the current set up, but having a couple of points of interest may enhance gameplay.