Ability to see players card when in spectator mode

Started by Joshua, August 01, 2009, 06:28:05 AM MT

Joshua

It would be nice to see players card during spectating. One way to prevent cheating (i.e. open up another browser and spec your opponent) is to ask permission to see his cards.

That way, for example if you know that player (spectator), you wouldn't mind him looking at the cards. If a guest user asks you, you would decline if suspicious

Ross Przybylski

That's a smart way to handle it and help prevent cheating - since you have to give permission to view cards.  In general, we feel we need to ramp up spectator options a bit more- also adding things like ability to kick obnoxious or "back seat driver" spectators or mute spectator chat, etc.  To all community, please let us know your thoughts on what would make spectating as ideal as it can be.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

maerrick

I have seen in some other board game online implementations that allow spectators, the spectators simply are not given chat options in order to prevent them to cheat or give an advantage to one or more players. Perhaps a "mute the spectator(s)" option could be given to the game host and/or majority vote of the players, if one or more of the spectators is becoming a problem (you could choose specific spectators or all of them).

Baker

I am very much opposed to a mute spectators button.

Ross Przybylski

Hmm, I find it interesting that you'd be opposed to a feature that would offer more choices for the player (simply having  a mute spectator option would not mandate it have to be used).  Also, if we were to implement this, I think it'd be fair for spectators to always be able to talk amongst themselves.  Out of curiosity, why do you oppose?

Finjinimo

I think it might prove sensible to have spectator chat restricted to a spectator only channel. That way they can say what they like, and discuss the match with the other spectators, but could not chat directly with the players.

It would be a bit like watching a tennis match, or a chess game perhaps. If players want to give another fellow advice on their playing style, then they could follow that up after the match in the lobby me thinks.

It means that the players themselves are unaffected and uninfluenced by the spectators, and I feel that is kind of important.

As to viewing cards, I think that may be a bad route to go down. It may end up creating too many ways to cheat, or for friends to work together to give one of the players an advantage. I think it fine just to be able to follow the battle, viewing cards seems to involved for my tastes, and I think it will prove too tempting for some.

Ross Przybylski

Quote from: Finjinimo on August 23, 2009, 02:34:15 AM MT
As to viewing cards, I think that may be a bad route to go down. It may end up creating too many ways to cheat, or for friends to work together to give one of the players an advantage.

This is very true.  Even if we restricted spectator chat to their own channel, friends on instant messengers or even if the same lobby could relay info about opposing players cards if they could see them.

Quote from: Joshua on August 01, 2009, 06:28:05 AM MTOne way to prevent cheating (i.e. open up another browser and spec your opponent) is to ask permission to see his cards.

That way, for example if you know that player (spectator), you wouldn't mind him looking at the cards. If a guest user asks you, you would decline if suspicious

Even if permission was granted, the ability to see those cards could allow the more vocal spectator to call move/suggestions for the player they are watching, which begs the question "Who am I really playing against?  This rank 900 or the rank 1200 who is coaching him?"  Granted, there are always other ways to communicate that info, but preventing it within game makes it a little more difficult and costly on turn-timer than simply being able to see cards directly.

diesbudt

Also its more fun to not know what the cards are as you watch, so you dont know what to expect.

Finjinimo

Quote from: diesbudt on August 23, 2009, 04:33:14 PM MT
Also its more fun to not know what the cards are as you watch, so you dont know what to expect.

Yep, I think that's right on the money as well.