News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

IMPORTANT: Sprint Exploit

Started by IveGotACaseOfTheMage, February 04, 2013, 12:48:49 AM MT

agm0402

I support this solution.

People are abusing this more and more lately.  I've had people doing it in live games and also seen it used to consistently get max sprints in async games. One guy even blatantly moved his minotaur 7 spaces AWAY from my nearest character before doing it do get a huge charge hit.

Now I've positioned mine 4 or 5 away and taken the risk of falling short, hoping to nip into cover instead... But 7? No one would be that ambitious or lucky. 

IveGotACaseOfTheMage

I might be in the minority here but I prefer sprinting be LESS of a gamble.  There are so many other variables that luck factors into (attacks and spells hitting) that it would be nice to have a reasonable chance for sprint not to go 2 spaces (and you not know it until you've already selected the choice to sprint).  For those of us in the top 20 rank or so, who play async random opp exclusively, we already have to win 5 matches or more to make up for a fluke loss sometimes caused by bad combat rolls.  This frustration will be compounded by accepting a probability sprint chance for 7 only to find out that it only moved us two spots, out of line of sight to do a finishing move, and exposed to the opponents next turn.  I would rather the sprint system remain unchanged at all (fix the exploit obviously) then to add another luck element to the game.  If the game would just log sprint rolls into the system and get rid of the exploit and we get the chose to accept or pass on the sprint roll offered (but not attack if we roll for the sprint) I would be fine with that.

dustymc

How about basing it off of attack and/or defense? I'm not sure which would make more sense but combine (natural) attack and defense, have a 'scale' corresponding to what your sprint bonus is after your given 2-3 spaces. Then 'roll' as you have been talking about above to see if you get those bonus spaces.

My other view on this method is high defense is a 'heavy' unit, so low sprint bonus?

Sorry to throw another method in the mix but what do you think?

jmvh59

I have given more thought to having each toon sprint differently.

Everybody gets to move at least 2 spaces.  They can roll 5d20 and go an additional space for each die that beats their own armor score (heavy armor makes it harder to run), but their roll is modified by adding their attack rating (stronger characters can run faster and farther).  This does not change the 2-7 range, but does make a big difference in reliability of getting a mid range or better sprint for the minotaur (and other lightly armored characters that survive better hiding behind obstructions).

What does everybody think?

dustymc

I like it! Sounds simple, would it get logged when you choose to sprint?

jmvh59

I hope so, it's up to Ross to code it!

IveGotACaseOfTheMage

I like it as well.  It makes sense from a classic RPG perspective as well.  Tanks with heavy armor should have a harder time sprinting.