News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Computer AI mistake...

Started by jmvh59, June 01, 2013, 02:56:08 PM MT

jmvh59

I noticed in a few of my matches against the computer, enemy mages would waste "dispel magic" on my summons (it only seemed to happen when I was playing a summoner and had the 15 valor summon mastery on all my creatures).  It is like they were trying to dispel the summon mastery bonuses, which did not work.

I have had some other issues with the AI making bonehead calls on troop placement, attack timing, target choices, or wasting two cards for the minotaur ability on low priority targets, for example, but this one seemed like a really, really bad decision. 

I think the AI should probably be adjusted to avoid this mistake again.

I do have an alternative game mechanic that sprang from this idea.  In D&D, controlling elementals and other summoned extra-planar entities usually required intense concentration, which had disastrous results if that concentration were broken. 

What if in HERO MAGES the dispel magic spell has a chance of breaking the control link that a mage has with his minion?  Maybe on a 14+, a summon unit that had been the target of dispel magic goes berserk and is no longer controlled by either player? Or maybe it just teleports back to its home plane of existence? 

If this idea were implemented, the whole game as we know it would probably change drastically, since to maintain continuity, a dead hero mage would pretty much mean surviving summons are no longer player controlled, even though the guardians are still around.

What does everybody think?

Thanks for listening,

Jason