News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Minotaur

Started by q666, June 14, 2013, 11:10:21 AM MT

q666

Ever since ii started playing this game i felt minotaur is the weakest unit. I used to never play it, but recently i have taken some likeing to it even though i still feel its a flawed unit. It is so unfortunate since roar and bullcharge are intresting abilities.

It main weakness is defense, with only 13 defense it is the weakest melee attacker. You might say but there is the barb with only 12 defense. Yes but because of his "dependable" 9 space reach and the "no cost" chain attack ability he can stay out of harms way much easier and remove multiple threats before getting attacked. Barb need to have 12 def otherwise it would be to overpower.

Also from a logical standpoint if u take a look at other units 13 defense makes no sense. A huge minotaur beast should be on the same level as the psi, rogue and sorc? Considerably weaker than a girl with an instrument or a thin elve with a sword?

The only defense the mino has in close combat is roar and that costs 2 cards each turn and only succeds 60%, plus bless removes it so it is effectivly useless if there are one or two palas on the board.

The second weakness is his second ability bull charge. First off it's the only abiliy that can only be used max. 50% of the time, secondly sprint is an uncertainty so that further diminishes the usability thirdly the requirements for it to work are so strict, that it is relativly easy for the enemy to avoid.

For those reasons i want to suggest some small changes that would render the mino more useable:

1.) Defense upped to 14
2.) roar for 1 card
3.) Bull charge costs 1 card but can be used every round (if u can reach an opponent with sprint) Maybe u have to spend the card already for trying to use bull charge even if it fails.
4.) If u reach a field directly in front of ur opponent bull charge is activated no matter from which direction the mino came.

WorldChamp(ELITE)

Very nice ;) I agree he really needs higer defence, roar for 1 card is great! And bull charge 1 card every turn...their is no reason this should not take effect! Great Great and Greatest!

dustymc

Agreed! Also put him up for sale with a new Mage and gaurd, that would be so much fun!

Nergal

Yeah..some of us don't even have the minotaur..

Ross Przybylski

Ah man, roar for 1 card?? Phew...I don't about that. Roar is pretty powerful ability when used in a group of enemies. Maybe what the Minotaur needs is a minimum sprint distance.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

q666

Quote from: Ross Przybylski on August 03, 2013, 05:39:53 AM MT
Ah man, roar for 1 card?? Phew...I don't about that. Roar is pretty powerful ability when used in a group of enemies. Maybe what the Minotaur needs is a minimum sprint distance.

It can be, but only if there are not to many palas on the board.

Compared to taunt its a little weaker indivialy since u have to roll and the enemy can still run.
Compard to the no charge chain attack and 1 card charge of the barb its way weaker i feel. a killed enemy can not be dispeled, blessed, shielded, repositioned or healed. a buffed inspired barb can easily kill 3 or 4 units/creatures in up to 3 different locations with a higer degree of certainty, while a mino can hope to roar up to 8 opponents when hes passively surounded, up to 7 if they are placed perfectly. Usualy u can be happy to get 2 or 3 and with a 60% hit chance u are likely to have one miss. So with pala on the other side its deminished to a weaker taunt with no possiblilty for an additional attack.

with units like palas, reaver, sammi and psi on the board that are somewhat "immune" to roar through their special abilities. Roar as a two card ability can not compare to heal+bliss, mindcontrol+blast, song of valor+inspire. Compared to evicerate alone u can flip a coin, but in combination with the passive -3 its a pretty reliably -4.

Mino lacks real kill power, since bull charge is unreliable realtivly easy to avoid and only every second round. his major defense ability is very costly uncertain and reversable aswell.

when it comes to guards naked offense and defense:

pala  has 1 dice less but 3 more def and can remove taunt or roar

rogue has 1 dice less equal def and can stay out of close combat+killshot so possible 2 dices more 2 valor per round

psi has 2 dices less equal def but though blast it get even one more plus armor piercing plus 2 valor, plus range, plus mind controll for def

reaver is equal in offense +3 in defense, has potential for forcing a second attack can generate up to 3 valor per round via counter takes enemies attack 100% for only 1 card.

bard has 1 less attack +1 more def but with cards 4 inspired dice are a superior attack vs the 4 of the mino

warrior gets equal attack with +2 def

sammi has 2 dice less and plus 2 def because of the -3 ability it is the more dangerous close range killer and gets a -1 via evicerate

barb +1 attack/-1 def can attack in 3 locations, so theoreticaly is able to kill up 22 units in 1 round and only needs 1 card for it.

when it comes to mages in close combat

FM is superior from the beginning

Sorc is superior at valor 5

summoner is superior at valor 10 her own 2 dices plus skelli, plus sacrifice making more than up for -1 def.

Prack

I feel like the Minotaur is week as well. I've had him die in a single turn many games before he even does a single attack. Yes I know it's the luck of the dice but as a front line fighter I'm not sure his offense makes up for the lack of defense. If I miss on the roar he is usually dead the next turn.

Rugman

Mind control and Bull Rush go hand in hand. I love the minotaur as is but he/she does have a novelty feel...