News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

PUGs

Started by digitalblacksmith, August 15, 2013, 04:02:21 AM MT

digitalblacksmith

Just looking for some other players interested in pick up games.  3v3 would be nice, FFA as well but we are here to have fun and have interesting games.  Random PUGs are just odd as people gang up or are prebuilt...so I hear.

Who is up for it?

dustymc

I'm always up for a game, send them over!

digitalblacksmith

Sure thing,  I have been playing for over a year or so, cant remember when I downloaded.  I just started doing random games, and this is going to sound like a dice whiner but I have found RIDICULOUS dice rolls being extremely common... 
Before now I have just played unranked vs friends having a good time and seeing some awesome battles. But the lucky hits and rolls in the 1v1s are starting to make me wonder...they are just too well timed and perfect.  An max sprint right when needed, or a barb that hits perfect every time (above 20s pumped).  Those are cool but in my 6 games I have played I have gotten wiped 4 times with perfect rolling...I need a larger sample set so I will keep up on the 1v1 to see.  But it will be nice to have some fresh blood in our games :)

IveGotACaseOfTheMage

Digital you should be aware that there is a sprint exploit right now.  I made a post about it in the "bugs" section.  People are not able to manipulate the attack dice rolls but they can get a perfect 7 sprint every time by exiting and re-entering games.

digitalblacksmith

Good to know. I have been trying to keep track of rolls. It is just odd, I will have someone on the ropes and they will roll perfect (hit with all attacking dice) or they will get a 7 sprint just when they need it.  With the exception of the first 2 games I played I think I have been hit perfectly a couple times each game.  I think I have hit perfectly just a few times,  well within statistical parameters.
I keep telling myself it is all in my head and I just need to be a better player.

WorldChamp(ELITE)

Cool idea BRING IT ON ;)

digitalblacksmith

Are there any attack die re-roll exploits similar to the sprint one?  What I am noticing is situations where consistently I am not left with 1 life, I always go from 5 or 6 to 0 in 1 or 2 hits.
What I will see is a pivot point in the game where if 1 character dies, the attacker will roll just enough dice to finish off the threatening unit.  Most recently a barbarian with 5 life, being killed after a mage sprinted from one side of the board to the other and killed the barb with lightning and fireball abilities. Hitting for 2 and 3 respectively.  Normally this is not a problem, but there are a couple players I have been against where it happens every game...it never takes 2 turns to kill a char, I rarely see a bad roll.

Against most players it is hit or miss by my stats, but there are 2 in particular that have me wondering if there is some kind of re-roll exploit.

digitalblacksmith

Yep I am certain of it now. I can post my last 10 games if someone wants to check my math.  It must be a annoying re-roll exploit because the only time it gets used is when absolutely necessary.  My rolls are going up and down as stats permit, but my opponents are ridiculously high 80% or so.  I need a better way of exporting the rolls.
Now to figure out how they are doing it.

q666

i am curious who the 2 players are u have u have in mind...

digitalblacksmith

Not you :) q666!
For the sake of figuring it out I would like to keep it anonymous.  I think the bug is related to the way the game times out when switching wireless networks.  We all have had those instances where we take a turn only to have the game hang and have to re-take the turn.  I think it can be replicated by turning off the wireless on your phone quickly after all your rolls are done.  You can then re-take the turn as many times as you want until you get a favorable outcome. Then end your turn properly.  But I havent successfully accomplished the hack and rest assured if I do I will report it and let my opponent know...probably by surrendering.

GeneralGonzo

Quote from: digitalblacksmith on September 29, 2013, 09:44:05 PM MT
Not you :) q666!
For the sake of figuring it out I would like to keep it anonymous.  I think the bug is related to the way the game times out when switching wireless networks.  We all have had those instances where we take a turn only to have the game hang and have to re-take the turn.  I think it can be replicated by turning off the wireless on your phone quickly after all your rolls are done.  You can then re-take the turn as many times as you want until you get a favorable outcome. Then end your turn properly.  But I havent successfully accomplished the hack and rest assured if I do I will report it and let my opponent know...probably by surrendering.

Anyone even thiunking of doing thinks like that is a ppor guy. It´s a simple boardgame with no big community, not a ladder which is any worth mentioning or any rewarding tournaments like in LoL i.e.! So why should anyone cheat ? Stats mean nothing in this game, it´s just pure fun!

digitalblacksmith

Quotenyone even thiunking of doing thinks like that is a ppor guy. It´s a simple boardgame with no big community, not a ladder which is any worth mentioning or any rewarding tournaments like in LoL i.e.! So why should anyone cheat ? Stats mean nothing in this game, it´s just pure fun!
I agree!

IveGotACaseOfTheMage

I havent played in weeks because I'm waiting for the sprint roll exploit to get fixed, but I still occasionally read the forums.  I tend to doubt there is an attack dice exploit but if you are ever able to recreate what you are describing keep us posted.  How big is your sample pool of data out of curiosity?  In poker  (my other favorite past time) we call odd strings of luck like that variance.  It's annoying but we know over the long run (say over thousands of hands) we will end up with positive equity long term if we make correct plays and therefore be profitable.

digitalblacksmith

Ya I am looking for a larger sample group right now.  I am familliar with variance, or "string of luck"  We always joke amongst my friends who play that when we have a particularly bad set of rolls (just yesterday a friend of mine and I threw 22 dice at a summoner trying to get the last 2 damage done), that we are due to have a good string soon. 

What I plan on doing is parsing the games with R and using that to check for fairness.  My sample set is indeed small right now, but what it has seemed like is that the 2 individuals that I was having inordinately bad luck with have stopped playing random encounters.  But what tipped me off was they consistently used the sprint exploit, which got me to thinking they were also  using another exploit.

If you want a PUG, there seem to be a few people in this forum and my buddies who have had some awesome games going lately.  It has been refreshing to pick up people who are consistent with their turns and play for the joy of it.