News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Connection Lost Issue

Started by diesburgm, August 15, 2009, 10:47:00 PM MT

diesburgm

I have tried hosting a private game at home here with myself and my 3 kids all on different computers playing. Each time I get a connection lost error.

Then when I try to log back in and reconnect to the same game I get a "Version Mismatch Your client version (1.1.0) does not match the game host's version (undefined). It doesn't appear that my kids have any problem continuing the game after I am timed out from it.
They are all running Vista as well so I don't think that is the problem.
I am running it on Safari 4.0.2 on MS Vista.

I will try again using IE. It would be nice if as the host or participant in a game that you could log back in and rejoin.

Ross Przybylski

Right on- we will look into this.  Another user has also suggested the re-connect to disconnected game option:

https://heromages.com/forums/index.php?topic=71.0

Please share your opinions on how you'd like this implemented.

~Ross
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesburgm

Hey Ross, remember me from GenCon. Kept bringing people by that I work with to show the game. My son at home who couldn't make it said "I can't lie I love this game.".

I tried again using IE and disabling my virus checker. Seemed to last longer but I still lost the connection. My kids on their laptops didn't run into this. I will keep trying to diagnose what is causing the connection issue.

Thanks for a fun game.

diesburgm

Hey Ross,

Since it seems to take a while for your character to disappear from the game when the connection is lost the most user friendly thing would be to just automatic reconnect or add a Rejoin game button to the connection lost dialog and if the game is still going on just bring you back in, assuming the connection is resumed right away. I don't know how you have this implemented so this would assume you can resink up any game changes that may have happened while packets were missed.

In my case my internet connection is still available because I can log right back on. I am currently assuming it is my Spyware Doctor virus checker that for some reason starts blocking packets. I am going to try later on today totally turning this off to see. Why this would suddenly start blocking packets in the middle of a game I am not sure.

Mark

Joshua

Hey Ross,

If you have not done so, try changing <DeadChannelsPolicy> from "strict" to "normal" via config.xml. This will allow unexpectly closed connections to live longer in memory.

diesburgm

Update. Not Spyware Doctor. Turned if off, same problem. Went to older family computer which also has it and have not had a problem. Guess I will have to play on that.

Ross Przybylski

Ok- I just thought of another possible solution for that other computer.  Try clearing your internet cache folder by going to Tools -> Internet Options.  I'm not sure of your IE version, so the exact command might be different- but the idea is you want to delete your temporary internet files.  Joshua had suggested I start changing file names for versioning control, and I think I will do that in next update to force the browser to update the cached files.
Manager of D20Studios, LLC