News:

Welcome to Hero Mages!

Main Menu

Barbarian Charge

Started by Slightquills, August 18, 2009, 05:02:57 AM MT

Slightquills

The cost for the Barbarian's Charge seems a bit expensive to me for just four movement spaces. Now, if he also got a bonus Strength (for the turn) it may be worth it. To prevent it from being used in excess a defense penalty until the start of next turn could suffice.

I'm just not a big fan of spending a precious card for just four steps.

Ross Przybylski

I had actually been considering increasing the Barbarian's charge to 5 so it's a full movement.  The increased strength idea is not bad, either- it would certainly help facilitate his Frenzy ability- chop the first enemey down, charge in with an even stronger Barbarian, chop again, etc!  Maybe his strength should increase each time he gets a kill (just for that turn)- what do others think of that?
Manager of D20Studios, LLC

diesbudt

I think the ability is just fine, Since he already has the ability to attack again after killing. When he kills someone at a cost of 1 card, he can usually get in range of a 2nd target to attack again.

1 Fight I did, against my brother, he had his chars a bit close, gave my barb. (+1 perma STR, and than dragon's fury) so he had 9 STR, than crippled his hero, used bard to increase his attack +4 and than moved and 1-shotted the hero, than attacked another adjacent piece (Rogue, which 1-shotted him too) and than discarded my last card to get to his last piece, which I attacked (didn't kill but severly injured). So in 1 turn Because of everything the Barbarian has to offer, I practically killed everything.

Honestly I was thinking the barbarian was a little bit too powerful when buffed up like that.

Maybe if he charges he can't attack? or Maybe his extra attacks are only 4 dice reguardless?

Joshua

I agree, Barbarian is quite powerful already with bluffs. Also having 4 ranged movement is significant enough. 10 ranged is basically almost the entire board, poor mages who try in vain to run away from them haha.

- What about making the charge usable again once the barbarian killed a target? (not sure if that is the current behavior) That way, you could chop your way across the board.

Warmage

Being able to move 4 squares is powerful in my opinion.

Ross Przybylski

Barbarian is another one of my favorite characters.  Many players feel he's disadvantaged when compared to the Samurai or Warrior, but in truth he is very powerful in the right context.  I have seem many games where the Barbarian has chained together as many as 5 kills in a single turn- a feat that no other guardian can boast.  He's extremely effective at taking out skeletons and weaker summons or finishing off a band of heroes with 1-2 Life remaining- and, even more so when magically enchanted with a Bloodlust.

I personally prefer the Barbarian to the Warrior because I am a very aggressive player and naturally favor higher offense over defense, and I'm not opposed to giving the Barbarian a little more edge, if that's what it takes to get more people playing him.  I think the best solution suggested thus far is to give him the ability to refresh his Charge ability if he successfully defeats an enemy.  This allows him to continue his mad rampage across the board in the event that players space their units further apart.  At the same time, I don't think it makes him too dreadfully overpowered since he still has to maneuver through walls and other units in his path, he has to pay a card each time he uses Charge, and, finally, there is no guarantee that he will actually kill his targets.  I have had my Bloodlusted Strength 7 Barbarian whiff against a skeleton many, many times...
Manager of D20Studios, LLC